4 door Fj45 on 80 series chassis (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good it's going to be sweet.
Post 17 first Picture, sweet looking 73 in the deep back round. If your interested in selling that to help fund your project let me know ;) :)

Ok. We've been working on the truck and made some good progress but only had time to post after dealing woth an earthquake and a hurricane.... Things got better so here we go. I built the body mounts out of 3/16 steel plate

20210818_154909.jpg

Ok. Good progress has been made this week. Unfortunately, an earthquake and a hurricane hit the island this week so that kind of slowed down the posting.
I built the front body mounts out of 3/16 sheet metal..... as i was talking to a friend , he told me that another guy had a complete 2010 6ltr , engine and 6L80e . I hear the iron block LS is better for trucls and for wheeling.
I called the man immediately and we made a deal. As it comes out, the car was only driven 100 miles and someone wreked it.
It was parked for a wile and someone stole the starter, the ecm and the alternator. I took out the complete harness from the donnor car and off we went. If anyone here has those parts for sale , please d.m me. I then losely mocked up the front sheet metal on the truck to assess what was needed. I like it

20210818_154909.jpg

20210820_162107.jpg

20210820_162155.jpg

20210820_162200.jpg

20210820_165409.jpg

Looking good it's going to be sweet.
Post 17 first Picture, sweet looking 73 in the deep back round. If your interested in selling that to help fund your project let me know ;) :)
Good eye😀. I have 2 of those . This one was recently redone. Waitimg for a few parts to come in for it. I'll send you better pics tomorrow.

We made quite a bit of progress this week. I haven't had mich time to post but we are much further ahead.
We made the rear floor section. We used 16 gauge sheet metal for that one......
Before we could install that, we realized that the body to frame mounts were too far rusted to even be considered usable. So i made new ones out of 1/8 plate and welded them onto the body.
Frame mounts are made out of 3/16 and also installed. The body now sits 6pairs of polyeurethane body mount bushings . It looks nice and staight on there...
One thing to mention is that because of the addition of the rear section, the extreme rear part of the body almost reaches the top of the rear axle hump on the frame.
We were forced to raise the body an extra 3" of the chassis ,for it to look nice and level front to back .
The truck now benefits a 3 inch body lift but the bottom part of the chassis is visible when looking at it broad side.
I guess my idea of using a 4" lifted suspension flew out the window with that one..... the truck would end up being way too high when i finally install 35 or 37 " tall tires. It looks good to me for now .
Here are some pics. Any advice is appreciated

20210828_105105.jpg

20210828_105118.jpg

20210828_114757.jpg

20210828_114759.jpg

We started installing the 6 liter LS motor yesterday we pulled off the front sheet metal to get easier access to the engine bay.
I took off the GM transfer case since we're gonna install the OE case from the 80 series.
There seems to be a bit of controversy on thst one..... some are telling me to install a part time 4x4 kit for reasons of fuel economy. Others say to leave as is and that i'll get better handling...... What's you guys' take on that debate?
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 6L80e is only about a 1/2" longer than the 80's tranny when meadured from the bell housing to the transfer case.
Engine and tranny went in without a fuss, leaving ample room to install everything else. I'm loving it !

There are no fuel mileage gains going to part time on a 80

Engine and tranny went in like a charm. The transmission is only about 3/4 of an inch longer than the originanal toyota . I have not ordered my adaptor yet from Mark's in Australia but i am being told that it wont change my dimensions. Looks like i might have to slot the original mounting holes but that's the least of things .
The a/c compressor fits where it was on the Suburban and i am happy about that.
Since nothing is ever perfect, the driver side manifold , instead of falling right between the rails, is a few inches higher. Nothing impossible to deal with but i would have prefered if they'd both ended up right between the rails.

20210904_115527.jpg

Great build. Nice work. Getting at it quick! Per above pic exposing the front intake area, block of unused coolant ports to intake and run it to a steam port on the upper radiator hose.

Depends on your climate. I would keep AWD if you see a lot of wet or slippery roads, remove it if it's mostly dry and a daily driver.
It's very hot down here. We get rain quite a fewtimes a year with your occasional hurricanes, earthquakes . Motoring around is done on more bad roads than good ones the country offers awesome trails for 4 wheeling..
I did many rallys on my quads bit i broke my akle 2 years ago and with age creeping up on me, i'll give the quad a rest and go in a more comfortable vehicle.

Great build. Nice work. Getting at it quick! Per above pic exposing the front intake area, block of unused coolant ports to intake and run it to a steam port on the upper radiator hose.
Thanks for the advice. I am still a bit far from that but i will definitelyremember to do that. I will have many questions when it's time to get the engine started. I did not find the throttle body on the motor when i purchased it and while looking at a another truck with the same motor, i noted that there is no throttle cable ...... i was wondering if i could install a Camaro cable driven one instead of the fly by wire one that it oroginally came with.
Did just that on a few corvette Ls i installed on hotrods but never used a 6liter before.
I also wonder if i'll have to modify the ecm harness..... anyone with that info, please chime in !

I hear you can swap out drive by wire for cable. Paging @cruisermatt. He is good at LS work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom