4-Cyl. FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Given that a 4 cyl. gas engine is desired ... is it possible (of course it is?) to mate a 22re engine to the LC stock 4/5 speed? Or should the 22re engine-trans-transfer unit as a whole be installed and proceed that way with the obvious driveshaft modifications?

Teiji

if your looking for fuel miledge then this is not the way to do it as the 4 cylinder will be using much more fuel trying to move the much heavier truck than the engine ever came in causing MPG to be prolly roughly the same ish as a good tuned up cruiser maybe even a little worse depending on how stock the vehicle is.

but yes it can be done anything can be done. is there an adapter on the market currently that will do this for you? no most likely not.
could you have one made or machined or fabricate your own? yes of course you could but it cost u a bit if you had a 1 off adapter made if you could do it yourself it would save a tone of money.

would i do it? personally, hell no.
Yes i understand that lots of 4 runners are runnin 38 and larger with stock 22RE due to low gears. how drivable are these on the road? how do they do up a hill in high range? prolly not well

just my .02

Given that a 4 cyl. gas engine is desired ... is it possible (of course it is?) to mate a 22re engine to the LC stock 4/5 speed? Or should the 22re engine-trans-transfer unit as a whole be installed and proceed that way with the obvious driveshaft modifications?

Teiji

not with off the shelf parts

sure, but... you would also need the mini truck rear end

not with off the shelf parts

sure, but... you would also need the mini truck rear end

or a hybrid rear end or another centered rear end in general and then the driveline reworked (would prolly have to do that anyways tho)

22re - mini tranny, marlin crawler case - toybox to splitcase adapter.

Worth it? No.

Sounds like someone might be interested in the Mercedes diesel swap.

Sounds like someone might be interested in the Mercedes diesel swap.

bagh not enough power at all either in my opinion, I mean i like the OM617.xx diesels but just dont think it would be right in a truck. esp in a larger truck. a stock cruiser... maybe. In something more like mine... not so much.

plus i like mo power! Id go Tim Allen style if i had the money. With some bad A$$ diesel motor no dought...
mmm 800+ ponies 1500+ ft lbs of torque.... I could smoke 38's all the way down the street then!

The 22re is a very good engine, and extremely reliable, but not worth going after if you don't already have it. That thing is a dog when it comes to power, way underpowered and a gas hog for it's size. If I ever got 15MPG out of mine, it was a day to put down in the books.

time to get a different vehicle if you want to put a 4cly in a land cruiser. That's like putting a v-6 in a 3/4 ton suburban.... You've got to have some power / torque to move the landcruiser body / weight.
Why not just buy a used econo-box car to commute or for a dialy driver, rather than try and gut the cruiser. If anything I would want more power out of the cruiser engine.

The 22RE I had in my tacoma worked very well... I had zero issues with it over the 2 years I owned the truck and it wold get around 25 mpg on the hwy. Very solid combination of engine and 5 speed.

I put a 22RE in my FJ60. I think I may be the only one who has done it.

I went to Fresno TAP (Toyota Auto Parts) and picked a new rebuilt 22RE. I put it in the back of my FJ60 and drove home. I then installed it in my neighbors 1988 Toyota 1-Ton truck. So technically I had a 22RE in my FJ60.

There is no way I would install it in a FJ60.

I guess u could look around for a BJ61V-MM; its already got a four banger in it.

Don't the hj's and the bj's get pretty remarkable milage? I think that the b-series diesel engines are four cylinder. If you had that it your 60 you'd probably get over 20mpg. And I think that the h series diesel engines are six cylinder and get good milege as well.

Don't the hj's and the bj's get pretty remarkable milage? I think that the b-series diesel engines are four cylinder. If you had that it your 60 you'd probably get over 20mpg. And I think that the h series diesel engines are six cylinder and get good milege as well.

Yes and yes to all.

My BJ60 gets well into the 20s. I have seen 25-27 on flat roads at highway.

It's sippy but a little slow on the highway. But not too bad once turbo'd.

It s 3.4 Litre torquey 4 cylinder though.

i seem yo remeber an article in the toyota trails many moons ago (back when it was printed on recycled manila folders) of a guy out in cali swapping a 22r into a fj45lv.

or maybe it was 4wheel and off road peterson publication.

i was not to impressed with the final numbers or saw any real advantage except that his 0 to 60 speed went from 12 seconds to somewhere in the 25ish to 26 ish...........

he actually modified a bellhousing for a v-8 adaptaion.

any way another idea that may be better suited to an interesting engine swap would be a tbi fuel injected 4.3 chevy v-6.

if you wanted to save a little on fuel and have decent horsepower this would be a better idea for a swap.

you can actually mildly build the 4.3 with a few performance parts.

but i am like a lot of these guys just stick with the 2f or tbi that sucker. i have seen two tbi's and am waiting in line to get mine done.

i have a friend who's 78 was fuel injected running 4.11's 33" mudders winch lifted vintage air all the accersories still gatting 16mpg with a four speed. the tbi transformed the 2f.

just thoughts :hillbilly::wrench:

diesel

a 4bt would do the trick i think,cost would be average if you do most of the work yourself.a few guys here have done it.john:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom