3FE - Which Plugs,Wires, Caps and Rotor is BEST? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jessemaitland.com
Typically, I like to stay with Toyota OEM on Caps and Rotors.. my old 80 Supra was very particular about it. My 2nd Gen 4Runner was also VERY particular about caps, but I have $40 in credit and Autozone and purchased them there. I'm planning to add NGK Wires and just purchased NGK Platinum Spark Plugs.

If you cant tell, I'm doing a tuneup on my 91 LC because its getting 8mpgs and it starts a little sloppy. I recently spotted this "Smart Coil" by AEM. It really got my attention, that I could put a higher output spark without modifying anything, thus improving acceleration, performance, MPG etc. At $80 the coil seems like an easy and inexpensive upgrade.

I am a LC noob, so I'm turning to you guys for wisdom and insight on this! :)

Has anyone else tried enhancing their ignition system with these "soft mods"?

Either go OE, Or I got the OE replacement parts at O'Reiley's. Same parts, made in Japan even... Sorry I do not remember the brand mark for those parts...

Just make sure the distributor cap has the vacuum ports in it. If it does not, do not purchase. The vacuum ports remove condensation and if they are not there, you will end up with corrosion on your pick-up coils which will ultimately disable the starting of your truck.

Just installed the OEM Duralast cap and rotor (Smog Test tomorrow morning) and it feels better already, smoother revs, lower idle, more responsive. The old cap definetly had corrosion... it was a Denso, but surprised it wasn't Brass contacts inside. I noticed the rotor had already been replaced, it was brass. Im curious if mixing the metals can cause more corrosion? Its certainly true in many applications.

Any takes on my AEM smart coil idea? nobody has commented on that part yet.

OEM plugs are cheap. No real advantage to going to Iridium or Plantinums (Use NGK or Denso).
Wires NGK or Denso.
Buy a Japanese made cap. Same with rotor, everything else is suspect, but I'm not testing it.
Parts are available on Rock auto and Ebay if you want to save $.

X2 on beno or cruiserdan to order parts from

Don't screw around with the ignition system. Stay with OEM parts. I have been down the aftermarket road many times with Jacobs, Bosch, etc. Every singe one failed in short order. You won't find better quality than OEM on this stuff.

It passed SMOG with flying colors today, even with the cheap parts :)
CDAN said Smart Coil is a waste of time.... i'll let you all know what I end up doing. Maybe i'll just get the AEM high output DUMB coil? :) im a rebell

You're missing the point here. Replacing old worn out parts with anything new will make the engine run better. That doesn't mean the new parts will last or be reliable over time.
It also has been proven many times over that aftermarket ignition parts will make no difference on your motor. You may get better gas mileage because your wallet is lighter.

Unless you can find NOS parts, I'd throw aftermarket at it. Denso quality has been going down the toilet since around 2000. Having that said, I haven't seen the need to change any ignition parts for a long time. They might be OE with well past 250K miles. 14-15 on the highway, passes emissions with flying colors, year after year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom