3FE rough idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 FJ80 with 245,000mi. My issue was present before and after I recently did my injectors. When idling for a minute or 2 the engine starts to misfire, lope, and generally "run rough". A quick press on the go pedal will make the engine run correct for about 5 seconds then run poorly again after that. Smoke test shows no vacuum leaks.

Trucks has 6 cleaned, re-screened, and verified OEM injectors
New AFM
Brand new fuel filter
2 year old fuel pump(even though the age could mean nothing cause we have all seen faulty 'new parts')

That screams "unmetered air" to me.
As the idle speed returns to 650 after a quick blip on the throttle, the A/F ratio is off. Anything above idle speed will mask this.
The entire top half of the motor should be sealed. Valve cover/grommets/oil fill cap gasket/dipstick tube gasket/side cover gasket are all good places for a leak.

That screams "unmetered air" to me.
As the idle speed returns to 650 after a quick blip on the throttle, the A/F ratio is off. Anything above idle speed will mask this.
The entire top half of the motor should be sealed. Valve cover/grommets/oil fill cap gasket/dipstick tube gasket/side cover gasket are all good places for a leak.
That wouldn’t show up on the smoke test I presume?

Ran okay, injector cleaning made it peppier and took away some misfiring at low rpm’s
unmetered air is my guess if lower rpm stumble, misfiring and idling. Do you have a cracked intake boot? any vacuum hoses disconnected? If you did a smoke test to test for vacuum leaks, then you should be fine. Is your timing set correctly, valves adjusted to factory spec? Then i would look into the AFM or TPS for misalignment.

unmetered air is my guess if lower rpm stumble, misfiring and idling. Do you have a cracked intake boot? any vacuum hoses disconnected? If you did a smoke test to test for vacuum leaks, then you should be fine. Is your timing set correctly, valves adjusted to factory spec? Then i would look into the AFM or TPS for misalignment.
Intake boot replaced, no vacuum hoses disconnected, smoke test was done at the brake booster vacuum line, the only thing I haven’t checked is the TPS…what are common symptoms of an out of alignment tps? I’ve seen it pop up now and again here on the forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom