3FE Owners Check-In (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the Rock Auto ones for about $6. No regrets.

Allright, i just finished installing the 10% underdrive gears and the low low range gears, and now you guys have me thinking about a new valve body? I'll put it on the list for sometime in the future, after the 2" lift and the new front bumper and the factory winch and 33" tires and and and.....
Seriously, this is becoming a problem.
But Low Low range is FUN!

Allright, i just finished installing the 10% underdrive gears and the low low range gears, and now you guys have me thinking about a new valve body? I'll put it on the list for sometime in the future, after the 2" lift and the new front bumper and the factory winch and 33" tires and and and.....
The underdrive you put in seem like a great mod. Why did you choose that before some of the other common mods you listed out?

I live in the bottom of a valley at 9000' and i am surrounded by passes

I live in the bottom of a valley at 9000' and i am surrounded by passes
Also, the lift is waiting on the winch and bumper, which has been on order since april, and will all happen at once in a month or so. I wanted to get the Tcase done before the nice weather was done. Tires, well I have stock tires. Don't make no sense to buy new ones before you use up the old ones. Unless someone here wants to pickup so General grabber 31's with 10k on 'em ????

Did you do the Low and High range underdrive? Part time while you were in there? Did you do the work yourself or have a shop do it? If so, what is the labor cost?

TIA

Did you do the Low and High range underdrive? Part time while you were in there? Did you do the work yourself or have a shop do it? If so, what is the labor cost?

TIA
Both hi and low underdrive. No part time. Did it myself, took about three days. One day to drop it (not a full day), one day for press work, one to get it back in.
Worked when I put it back in!
Got myself in a bit of a time crunch with the wife being gone and needing to make a trip with the boys so I unfortunately did not have time to do the seals or bearings. They seemed fine but after 30 years? Would have liked more time, but that is the case for damn near everything in my life.
If I have problems now I know how to drop it and pop it open.

Both hi and low underdrive. No part time. Did it myself, took about three days. One day to drop it (not a full day), one day for press work, one to get it back in.
Got myself in a bit of a time crunch with the wife being gone and needing to make a trip with the boys so I unfortunately did not have time to do the seals or bearings. They seemed fine but after 30 years? Would have liked more time, but that is the case for damn near everything in my life.
very nice, which brand of gears did you go with? I am about to do the high /low range + part time kit. Thanks for sharing

The quote I got from cruiser outfitters was $2600 if I sent them the case.

Installed 6 rebuilt fuel injectors and even the wife says the “truck” has more power now! I hate it when the wife calls her a “truck” and not by her god given name of Lucky Landy the magical Toyota FJ-80 Landcruiser with a cast iron 3fe that wont BLOW ur HEAD gasket. Thats two things that wont blow around here….

6D607F42-8728-4492-AB92-76D1BA4D8DD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed 6 rebuilt fuel injectors and even the wife says the “truck” has more power now! I hate it when the wife calls her a “truck” and not by her god given name of Luck Landy the magical Toyota FJ-80 Landcruiser with a cast iron 3fe that wont BLOW ur HEAD gasket. Thats two things that wont blow around here….

View attachment 2805684
Where did you get them? Did they send them to you and them credit you a core charge when you sent your old ones back?
What did it cost you?

Installed 6 rebuilt fuel injectors and even the wife says the “truck” has more power now! I hate it when the wife calls her a “truck” and not by her god given name of Luck Landy the magical Toyota FJ-80 Landcruiser with a cast iron 3fe that wont BLOW ur HEAD gasket. Thats two things that wont blow around here….

View attachment 2805684
well said. How many post in the past months is related to blown head gaskets on MUD for the OBDII trucks? I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious when everyone tip toes around like blown head gaskets is like fixing PHH...lol

Where did you get them? Did they send them to you and them credit you a core charge when you sent your old ones back?
What did it cost you?
Heres what I did, bought 7x 23250-61010 on ih8mud and sent those into WitchHunter for rebuild. They changed out the filters, orings and caps, then gave me the attached report and from this report I picked the best six. It was $23 for each injector, totaling 173 after shipping. No more knocking and pinging, when going uphill under load :)

Heres your options in order of favorability:
1-cheapest: Send your 6 off to get rebuilt and have about a week of downtime, unfortunately if one has a problem ur screwed. I would test the resistance of each one before shipping.
2- second cheapest: buy one on the forums and send in seven then pick the best 6.
3- not that cheap, but you have spares like me. Buy 6, send those in and when they come back, install if they're all good, so you only have one day of downtime.

Note: make sure you get this oring because yours will be swollen (see pen in picture)

WARNING watch out for ebay fakes, they have a picture of the Denso injector but thats not what you will get, trust me I know.

3682A106-CE6C-4501-8D37-38C77C92DCF0.jpeg

86A08CB3-F4A8-4F37-9014-63BF301E25AA.jpeg

Last edited:
In case you missed it-

3FE 'quick reference' list started by @proteolytic :

Ok, so i destroyed my Ron Davis 2 Row Alum. radiator on the trail last week...my costly mistake. I ordered a new RD, but they are on backorder for 2-3 months. So my only option is to pick up an ebay alum. unit in the meantime. I know MUD memeber on here has put in the ebay unit in their 3FE. What are your thoughts on it? Fit and finish? How does it performs? If It will keep my rig cool on the highway and not overheat like my old CSF unit, and even if it last 6 months - 2 yrs, it is a win for me as i wait for the Ron Davis. Having a spare radiator is a luxury and eventually, the inevitable will happen on the trail.
TIA

Ok, so i destroyed my Ron Davis 2 Row Alum. radiator on the trail last week...my costly mistake. I ordered a new RD, but they are on backorder for 2-3 months. So my only option is to pick up an ebay alum. unit in the meantime. I know MUD memeber on here has put in the ebay unit in their 3FE. What are your thoughts on it? Fit and finish? How does it performs? If It will keep my rig cool on the highway and not overheat like my old CSF unit, and even if it last 6 months - 2 yrs, it is a win for me as i wait for the Ron Davis. Having a spare radiator is a luxury and eventually, the inevitable will happen on the trail.
TIA
I just bought one that is working very well. I'll look up where I bought it from and post.

What did it cost you?
Got mine from Osidetiger. Getting them put on on the 20th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom