Testing HIR lamps - What I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I purchased Toshiba 9011- high beam lamps and Philips (3rd Gen) P9012 low beams from HERE
Bases require a little modification to fit Instruction HERE

My findings
Low beam > OEM - HIR 25% increase in foot candle
High beam > OEM - HIR 42% increase in foot candle

Test Conditions
1996 FZJ80
Current low beam Sylvania 9006 51W
Current high beam Sylvania 9005 60W
Engine running
Socket voltage Low beam - 14.1V High beam - 13.7V
Foot candle meter - Extech 401025 Foot Candle/Lux Light Meter
Measured @ 7' 4" lamp to sensor
Adjusted meter sensor to optimum reading

That is a healthy increase. Are you a candlepower member?
Do you have a slee harness?
Thanks for the posting the results.

That is a healthy increase. Are you a candlepower member?
Do you have a slee harness?
Thanks for the posting the results.

No, first purchase
Not anymore, I removed it a couple of months ago

Phil, are you back in the 80 world?

Rami started a thread about this without real numbers and any science, just eyeballs. I had the chance to do a side by side comparison in a semi dark parking lot with our 2 trucks and I bought those low beams the next day. Huge difference to my aging eyeballs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/430026-philips-hir2-3d-generation-9012-a.html

I'm glad you took the time to put real quantitative evidence behind this. Thanks Phil.
My next question would be on the proper aiming of the headlight assemblies. Is there a procedure for this somewhere?

Nice tech! Knew I could see the difference, numbers back that up. Great voltage numbers, would be hard to improve on that.

Rami started a thread about this without real numbers and any science, just eyeballs. I had the chance to do a side by side comparison in a semi dark parking lot with our 2 trucks and I bought those low beams the next day. Huge difference to my aging eyeballs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/430026-philips-hir2-3d-generation-9012-a.html

I'm glad you took the time to put real quantitative evidence behind this. Thanks Phil.
My next question would be on the proper aiming of the headlight assemblies. Is there a procedure for this somewhere?

How to Aim headlights and auxiliary light by Daniel Stern HERE

Nice tech! Knew I could see the difference, numbers back that up. Great voltage numbers, would be hard to improve on that.

I finally drove the 80 last night and my eyes confirmed my numbers. A noticeable difference on low and a big difference on high beam. High beams provide a very nice wide, deep pattern.

Voltage plays a big part in output. The difference between 12.5V(engine off) and ~14V (engine running) resulted in a 40% difference in output across the board.

Phil, are you back in the 80 world?

Everyone should have at least one in the stable shouldnt they. ;) Im lovin it, but not to worry I will always have a 100 in the driveway. The best balance if you only own one Land Cruiser IMO.
Keep the flamming to yourself:flipoff2:

Everyone should have at least one in the stable shouldnt they. ;) Im lovin it, but not to worry I will always have a 100 in the driveway. The best balance if you only own one Land Cruiser IMO.
Keep the flamming to yourself:flipoff2:

Hey...I'd have an 80 too if I had garage space and a job :rolleyes:. There was a super clean '96 LX450 I checked out here in Reno for a Sacramento buddy...half thought about buying it myself but...

Its not me you have to worry about torch'n ya...its your buddy John :flipoff2:

Browsing 'mud on my day off is forcing me to spend more $$

Thanks Phil / Jon.

I stumbled upon a set of Toshiba HIR 9011 normally used as replacement in high beam sockets and decided to put them to use by replacing the 9012 HIR in the low beam socket.
thumb.gif

I also retested the stock 9006 and 9012 HIR.

Using a light output meter -
9012 HIR compared to stock 9006 25% increase in light output. (same as first tested 10.22.2010)
9012 HIR compared to 9011 HIR 35% increase in light output.

Overall going from stock 9006 to HIR 9011 shows a 75% increase in light output and noticeable behind the wheel.

Although I have significantly increased the output of my low beams no one has flashed me about the brightness of the low beam.

Lamp wattage

9005 - 51W
9006 - 60W
9012 - 55W
9011 - 65W

Last edited:
Wow. I run the 9012 /9011 combo on mine. I'm extremely happy with the results over stock. It's dark out here in the country. However, I now may have to try swapping out the 9012s at some point.

Phil,
Thanks for taking the time to measure the actual light output. I am considering a headlight upgrade soon. In your estimation would the bulbs you tested work well in a set of depos? I am looking for the most light I can achieve without spending on a projector moded set of depos.

No experience with Depos.:(

Going with dual 9011 (~$100) you increase your output over stock by 75% on the low beam side and 42% on the high beam side with no need to chance wiring. The difference is day and night (no pun intended) the width of the light output being the most noticeable.

No experience with Depos.:(

Going with dual 9011 (~$100) you increase your output over stock by 75% on the low beam side and 42% on the high beam side with no need to chance wiring. The difference is day and night (no pun intended) the width of the light output being the most noticeable.

You should be able to get your 9011's even cheaper from rockauto. I think I gave just under $50 for the last 4 I purchased.

You should be able to get your 9011's even cheaper from rockauto. I think I gave just under $50 for the last 4 I purchased.

Not all HIR are created equally Candelpower test and ranks the Toshiba 9011 HIR above all other manufacture (last time I looked). Im sure you will get noticeable output with the Rock Auto but just maybe not as much as possible.

Not all HIR are created equally Candelpower test and ranks the Toshiba 9011 HIR above all other manufacture (last time I looked). Im sure you will get noticeable output with the Rock Auto but just maybe not as much as possible.

I thought Philips purchased all rights to the HIR bulbs and Toshiba no longer produced them ? In any case the ones I bought from rockauto are made by Philips in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom