3FE Owners Check-In (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have part numbers for the brake lines? I tried searching through google and ih8mud and couldn't find anything. I believe my front drivers side line is leaking but might as well replace all the lines while I'm at it. ( the reason why i believe it is leaking is that there is some type of oily residue all over the inside tire wall and the birfs are not leaking gear oil ( dry-ish).

Thanks
Toyota dealer has them for $40 per line. I would use OEM.

Hi from NE Oklahoma
91 cruiser
3” OME lift
33” tires on 16” rims
TG front and rear bumpers
12000lb warn winch
Prinsu roof rack
6DBC93C5-25B0-4C6A-BA42-D0BE742E35C0.jpeg

Oh man deflared too! congrats and welcome! looking tough

92' FJ80 - This is my first LC, though I've traveled in a bunch. Lived in Australia as a kid for a couple years, and went on a number of excursions through the outback with the fam in Land Cruisers. I flipped cars for about a decade, and finally settled down, and am selling off the last of my cars, but bought this as a forever car. I've done a few things, but mostly out of necessity.

1. 243,500k miles on this beast.
2. 'Rattle Can' paint job, though with OEM paint. Sanded out every rust spot on the body to the metal, and did roughly 15 or so layers of primer to level it all back out. It was originally red/silver. Red at the bottom, silver top.
3. New exhaust and cats - cut it out and replaced myself, got a piece of metal in my eye which I pulled out with a magnet only to have my wife tell me that's the last time I will be using the grinder. Thought I was a genius at the time, but I have been assured since then that this is not so.
4. New spark plug cables / distributor cables and spark plugs.
5. New front brakes / rotors / and bearing (wasn't aware I would have to replace a bearing doing a brake job... first time for everything ;)
6. OME struts & generic yellow springs.
7. New stereo & speakers with microphone - sawdered in an updated stereo plug with shrink wrap and everything - professional style.
8. 3D printed mounting part to fix A/C vent - got plans of thingiverse.
9. Replaced dented front bumper with some online tube bumper - can't remember the name, but it was cheap enough to not get me to buy a welder and DIY that myself. Before the online bumper, I made a bumper out of wood, and shou sugi ban'd it ... which I felt was appropriate, and true to her japanese (toyota) roots.
10. Alternator
11. Belts
12. Ham radio and 2m antennae mounted to front hood: KE0UCE formerly known as KB0UDZ - What's up 'ma hammies!
13. designed and 3D printed some plugs to fit into where I pulled off my busted fenders.
14. got some used rhino racks and put those on, and currently just rigged some ski racks on there, but would love to buy a used tent topper.
15. fixed two window regulators, one is still broken, and i'm having trouble, so i cut a nice piece of wood to wedge it up :)
16. replaced front dampener strut.
17. re-keyed the locks
18. dash cover
19. Replaced the gas cover with a used one - re-painted
20. replaced the bulbs on the interior lights
21. paid for an alignment (only thing i've paid someone to do so far)

That's all I can think of. Nothing exciting. I would love to be able to take this beast up to the mountains skiing in CO, but I'm afraid of getting past Georgetown. I remember in High School trying to get up past Georgetown in an Isuzu trooper with four buddies (all around 200lbs). I don't ever want to worry about getting rear-ended by a semi ever again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the videos of putting in in 2L btw. I just sold my 300SD Mercedes (with the 617 engine), and half wanted to pull the engine and swap it, but pretty sure my wife was about to kill me if I didn't get rid of it, and I don't really know if that would have been powerful enough, even with the turbo.

Very nice. A great improvement would be gearing the transfer case. Off-road its a game changer. No more worries about getting warm.

Attention 3Fe Fans. This is one of the cleanest 3Fe's I have seen in some time. This is a dealer South Dakota. He has had a few 80's over the years. Seems to like them. This one is very nice. Looks to be a repaint and I am guessing the 3rd row was sacrificed to repair the front seats. Never the less, a vary nice example of a bone stock 1991 FJ80. Lots of miles but clean! Price seems high but if you are going to collect one, this is a good example to sit on because I am convinced that the masses will learn to appreciate the first two FJ80's for their no nonsense look.

I would be tickled to death if he gets this price. Maybe a bit ahead of the curve on price but I think they will get there. Wife drove our bone stock FJ80 to work today. Envy of the parking lot.

8D5C2DAD-B6E8-4F15-AA91-26ACA57B40C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Attention 3Fe Fans. This is one of the cleanest 3Fe's I have seen in some time. This is a dealer South Dakota. He has had a few 80's over the years. Seems to like them. This one is very nice. Looks to be a repaint and I am guessing the 3rd row was sacrificed to repair the front seats. Never the less, a vary nice example of a bone stock 1991 FJ80. Lots of miles but clean! Price seems high but if you are going to collect one, this is a good example to sit on because I am convinced that the masses will learn to appreciate the first two FJ80's for their no nonsense look.

I would be tickled to death if he gets this price. Maybe a bit ahead of the curve on price but I think they will get there. Wife drove our bone stock FJ80 to work today. Envy of the parking lot.

View attachment 2561854
21k for a 200k mile LC. That is completely nuts! It's clean but a 5k paint and you would have 10k into a clean 91/92 LC. At 21k no thanks. The dealer will probably get like 17k though.

21k for a 200k mile LC. That is completely nuts! It's clean but a 5k paint and you would have 10k into a clean 91/92 LC. At 21k no thanks. The dealer will probably get like 17k though.
If you really think about it from the angle of someone who wants a nice LC (4x4) to keep in the garage at a cabin or whatever. Something nice, reliable and low maintenance that will just drive when needed, then this would be a buy. No mods but just good clean reliability.

92' FJ80 - This is my first LC, though I've traveled in a bunch. Lived in Australia as a kid for a couple years, and went on a number of excursions through the outback with the fam in Land Cruisers. I flipped cars for about a decade, and finally settled down, and am selling off the last of my cars, but bought this as a forever car. I've done a few things, but mostly out of necessity.

1. 243,500k miles on this beast.
2. 'Rattle Can' paint job, though with OEM paint. Sanded out every rust spot on the body to the metal, and did roughly 15 or so layers of primer to level it all back out. It was originally red/silver. Red at the bottom, silver top.
3. New exhaust and cats - cut it out and replaced myself, got a piece of metal in my eye which I pulled out with a magnet only to have my wife tell me that's the last time I will be using the grinder. Thought I was a genius at the time, but I have been assured since then that this is not so.
4. New spark plug cables / distributor cables and spark plugs.
5. New front brakes / rotors / and bearing (wasn't aware I would have to replace a bearing doing a brake job... first time for everything ;)
6. OME struts & generic yellow springs.
7. New stereo & speakers with microphone - sawdered in an updated stereo plug with shrink wrap and everything - professional style.
8. 3D printed mounting part to fix A/C vent - got plans of thingiverse.
9. Replaced dented front bumper with some online tube bumper - can't remember the name, but it was cheap enough to not get me to buy a welder and DIY that myself. Before the online bumper, I made a bumper out of wood, and shou sugi ban'd it ... which I felt was appropriate, and true to her japanese (toyota) roots.
10. Alternator
11. Belts
12. Ham radio and 2m antennae mounted to front hood: KE0UCE formerly known as KB0UDZ - What's up 'ma hammies!
13. designed and 3D printed some plugs to fit into where I pulled off my busted fenders.
14. got some used rhino racks and put those on, and currently just rigged some ski racks on there, but would love to buy a used tent topper.
15. fixed two window regulators, one is still broken, and i'm having trouble, so i cut a nice piece of wood to wedge it up :)
16. replaced front dampener strut.
17. re-keyed the locks
18. dash cover
19. Replaced the gas cover with a used one - re-painted
20. replaced the bulbs on the interior lights
21. paid for an alignment (only thing i've paid someone to do so far)

That's all I can think of. Nothing exciting. I would love to be able to take this beast up to the mountains skiing in CO, but I'm afraid of getting past Georgetown. I remember in High School trying to get up past Georgetown in an Isuzu trooper with four buddies (all around 200lbs). I don't ever want to worry about getting rear-ended by a semi ever again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the videos of putting in in 2L btw. I just sold my 300SD Mercedes (with the 617 engine), and half wanted to pull the engine and swap it, but pretty sure my wife was about to kill me if I didn't get rid of it, and I don't really know if that would have been powerful enough, even with the turbo.
I think thats a common worry. Way back in the mid 90’s I was into Volvos. They are known to leak at the bottom of windshields and stall out. It happened to me on the way home from Copper in a blizzard. Talk about confusion! If I push I could get crushed by a semi who couldnt see the car or worse another car hits my car and someone gets hurt... A Good Samaritan in a Jeep pushed me off the road and took me home. One of the things I love about CO is how much everyone helped each other. I wonder if its still the same.

Here we go - another newb with my first Cruiser. Wasn't really shopping but I know enough not to pass something up, so I now have a Cruiser project. Well, new enough that I don't have it yet. Shipper is delivering Wednesday afternoon so I have yet to really even crawl around the thing. I know it's a straight 1992, has about 245k on it, interior is in great shape, and is stock as far as my step brother knows. Has the highly sought after custom signature Toyota clear coat fail on the hood. Whatever the case, I got it for a song (in my opinion) so I'll continue reading and try not to ask too many dumb questions. I *think* his only issue was sometimes it wouldn't start, which I am hoping is the EFI relay. I already ordered one, so hopefully that's it. We shall see!

IMG_0063(1).jpg

Hi all. I been posting around here. Just acquired my first LC and just realized this is my specific model/engine.

I paid 5k for a 92 with 156,000 miles on it. Had my dad and his mechanic take a look at it and they noticed that the kick down cable was Jimmy rigged and a replacement doesn't exist as it's been a discontinued part.
Have any of you had this problem at all? Do you know anyone that can literally fabricate a kick down cable for me? I will pay them money. I am pulling my hair out trying to source this part.

3E3E1333-FD50-4BAF-98F0-7F35AF65EEE8.jpeg

Call Georg at Valley Hybrids. I dont know that he makes them but I know he has dealt with them. Mine is borderline and I was thinking about spacing the bracket somehow to get more out of it. @orangefj45

Hi all. I been posting around here. Just acquired my first LC and just realized this is my specific model/engine.

I paid 5k for a 92 with 156,000 miles on it. Had my dad and his mechanic take a look at it and they noticed that the kick down cable was Jimmy rigged and a replacement doesn't exist as it's been a discontinued part.
Have any of you had this problem at all? Do you know anyone that can literally fabricate a kick down cable for me? I will pay them money. I am pulling my hair out trying to source this part.

View attachment 2565308
Try a junkyard site. Used ones exist.

P.S. I have a 1991 ,1992 and a 1993 80 series cruiser. The FJ80s are totally stock but the fzj has 35s, OME lift and spacers bumper etc.. also have a 75 FJ40 and a 79 fj40 project... and a bunch of jeeps
...i have a problem
Sounds like you have realized you cant take your money with you....

P.S. I have a 1991 ,1992 and a 1993 80 series cruiser. The FJ80s are totally stock but the fzj has 35s, OME lift and spacers bumper etc.. also have a 75 FJ40 and a 79 fj40 project... and a bunch of jeeps
...i have a problem
Does that mean you might have an extra part for me? 🥴

Hoping for some diagnostic help, sorry if it seems elementary I’m new to wrenching.

Nothing recently has changed on the cruiser, have been daily driving for a couple months.

2 days ago the cel came on for a brief second, then off, then on, then off for the rest of my trip. No other signs.

Yesterday I warm up, no issues. Get about a quarter a mile down the road and it starts to stumble. Go to push the accelerator to get through an intersection and it dies. Turning the key kicks the starter and cranks, but never turns over. Tow it home.

Today, starts fine. Warms up, and instead of the rpm’s going down as it warms, the rpm’s increase. When I push the accelerator the engine tries to die. I turned off the key, waited a couple minutes, and it won’t turn over but cranks. No cel during this entire process, other than when they key is “on” like normal.

My initial thought was fuel related, but after today I’m not sure. Any thoughts on what to start diving into?

Hoping for some diagnostic help, sorry if it seems elementary I’m new to wrenching.

Nothing recently has changed on the cruiser, have been daily driving for a couple months.

2 days ago the cel came on for a brief second, then off, then on, then off for the rest of my trip. No other signs.

Yesterday I warm up, no issues. Get about a quarter a mile down the road and it starts to stumble. Go to push the accelerator to get through an intersection and it dies. Turning the key kicks the starter and cranks, but never turns over. Tow it home.

Today, starts fine. Warms up, and instead of the rpm’s going down as it warms, the rpm’s increase. When I push the accelerator the engine tries to die. I turned off the key, waited a couple minutes, and it won’t turn over but cranks. No cel during this entire process, other than when they key is “on” like normal.

My initial thought was fuel related, but after today I’m not sure. Any thoughts on what to start diving into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom