3FE Owners Check-In (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping for some diagnostic help, sorry if it seems elementary I’m new to wrenching.

Nothing recently has changed on the cruiser, have been daily driving for a couple months.

2 days ago the cel came on for a brief second, then off, then on, then off for the rest of my trip. No other signs.

Yesterday I warm up, no issues. Get about a quarter a mile down the road and it starts to stumble. Go to push the accelerator to get through an intersection and it dies. Turning the key kicks the starter and cranks, but never turns over. Tow it home.

Today, starts fine. Warms up, and instead of the rpm’s going down as it warms, the rpm’s increase. When I push the accelerator the engine tries to die. I turned off the key, waited a couple minutes, and it won’t turn over but cranks. No cel during this entire process, other than when they key is “on” like normal.

My initial thought was fuel related, but after today I’m not sure. Any thoughts on what to start diving into?
Short the TE1 and E1 terminals and check for stored CEL codes as a start.

I’d check the basics since I’m no master. I’d check fusible links and fuel filter. If you have never checked them you should be anyways. Unless they are new I’d replace them. Not sure if it will solve he issue but its a start. Sometimes weird flickers indicate ground issues As well. Again, all stuff you will want to go through on the old girl.

Hoping for some diagnostic help, sorry if it seems elementary I’m new to wrenching.

Nothing recently has changed on the cruiser, have been daily driving for a couple months.

2 days ago the cel came on for a brief second, then off, then on, then off for the rest of my trip. No other signs.

Yesterday I warm up, no issues. Get about a quarter a mile down the road and it starts to stumble. Go to push the accelerator to get through an intersection and it dies. Turning the key kicks the starter and cranks, but never turns over. Tow it home.

Today, starts fine. Warms up, and instead of the rpm’s going down as it warms, the rpm’s increase. When I push the accelerator the engine tries to die. I turned off the key, waited a couple minutes, and it won’t turn over but cranks. No cel during this entire process, other than when they key is “on” like normal.

My initial thought was fuel related, but after today I’m not sure. Any thoughts on what to start diving into?
Vehicle YMM?

Short the TE1 and E1 terminals and check for stored CEL codes as a start.
Thanks, I’ll look up the procedure. Would the codes still be there even if it currently doesn’t throw a code?
I’d check the basics since I’m no master. I’d check fusible links and fuel filter. If you have never checked them you should be anyways. Unless they are new I’d replace them. Not sure if it will solve he issue but its a start. Sometimes weird flickers indicate ground issues As well. Again, all stuff you will want to go through on the old girl.
Will check the link, I actually have a spare I’ve been meaning to throw on. Fuel filter hasn’t been checked, will look into it.
Vehicle YMM?
91 USDM LC with the 3FE

Both of my FJ80's had perpetual CEL's. I just began to think it was part of the ambiance of an early 80. They are OBD1 and few techs want to chase things down on them.

Luckily I haven't developed a CEL, but my engine is shaking a good amount when I come to a stop. Feels fine down the road, maybe a touch underpowered but I can't tell if that's just the sluggishness of an 80 coming from my previous daily. Not sure if it could be a vac leak, O2 sensor or a miss? if anyone has any suggestions lmk.

Pulled the codes, 22 came up "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal". Coming up with a list of things to do while I'm in there, since I have to flush the coolant anyways. Sanity check on anything else I should do while it's apart? I need to double check the condition of hoses and match up against the diagram before I order as well.

Water Temperature Sensor - 89422-20010
Thermostat/Gasket - 90916-03052 /9043043002

Tried to tackle the thermostat/water temp sensor today. Everything is fighting me, need some advice from experienced folks.

First problem:
Thermostat won’t come out of the top sandwich housing. Seems like it’s stuck to the gasket. Looking at the new one there’s nothing that should be catching, so do I just break the gasket and pry up?
27E99AAF-9D6D-4E40-AB32-2CCA76236E35.jpeg

second problem:
One of the bolts sheared off. Since I can’t get to this until next weekend my plan is to hit it with pb blaster every day and try and use pliers to spin it. If that doesn’t work, any suggestions?
121AC0D7-78C7-4F5F-A1DE-A298063B7E2A.jpeg

Tried to tackle the thermostat/water temp sensor today. Everything is fighting me, need some advice from experienced folks.

First problem:
Thermostat won’t come out of the top sandwich housing. Seems like it’s stuck to the gasket. Looking at the new one there’s nothing that should be catching, so do I just break the gasket and pry up?View attachment 2599598
second problem:
One of the bolts sheared off. Since I can’t get to this until next weekend my plan is to hit it with pb blaster every day and try and use pliers to spin it. If that doesn’t work, any suggestions?
View attachment 2599602
Heat it up! Then, vise grip it back and forth if you have enough grab on it.

Same broken bolt on my 91. I had 3/8 inch to grab on to. Lots of heat did the trick. If you don't have much to grab try slotting the bolt shaft with a dremel and use a flat head impact screw driver. Otherwise it is a drill and tap.

Hope it goes smoothly!

I keep a torch handy on my tool cart everytime for removing bolts gaskets and anything stuck. For sensitive parts I use a heat gun.

I just had a Blackstone Labs oil report done for the first time. I did a search for other Blackstone reports and found one in the 100 series sectioin for the 2UZ and found one in the 80 series section but all the reports posted were 1FZs. So I figured I would post it here.

1992 3FE-EFI Blackstone report.PNG

Luckily I haven't developed a CEL, but my engine is shaking a good amount when I come to a stop. Feels fine down the road, maybe a touch underpowered but I can't tell if that's just the sluggishness of an 80 coming from my previous daily. Not sure if it could be a vac leak, O2 sensor or a miss? if anyone has any suggestions lmk.
I had shaky idle problems a while back before I did my desmog and fuel injectors. replace all your vac lines is a good idea. I didn't replace the injectors just sent them out to get cleaned and balanced.

Longtime listener, first time caller here. I've got a 1991 that's spent its entire life based locally here in Northwest Alabama. She's coming up on the big 4-0-0 and currently sitting at just a hair over 380,000. I have nobody to thank for her longevity but y'all- been reading this forum for a while and learned a great deal from everybody!

Longtime listener, first time caller here. I've got a 1991 that's spent its entire life based locally here in Northwest Alabama. She's coming up on the big 4-0-0 and currently sitting at just a hair over 380,000. I have nobody to thank for her longevity but y'all- been reading this forum for a while and learned a great deal from everybody!

Completely agree. There is no way I could own and operate a 30 yr old vehicle without the wealth of knowledge freely given through this forum!

Next time you can duplicate the issue check for spark while it's cranking and check to see if the plugs are wet with fuel. Look over the vehicle carefully and look for any obvious wiring issues.

the whole reason I bought my 92 was because I knew the enthusiastic forums, and aftermarket support for these vehicles are almost unmatched!
I'm about to crack 250, and I thought that was a lot! Congrats on 400!

Completely agree. There is no way I could own and operate a 30 yr old vehicle without the wealth of knowledge freely given through this forum!
And some green wealth too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom