3FE Owners Check-In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the high idle I would check this screwView attachment 1920258View attachment 1920259 mine generally settles around 580-600, so turn the screw all the way in and see what happens and adjust accordingly, also do you have stock gears? I was thinking of running 33s on stock gears but I am unsure of how it'll effect the truck
adjusting the screw brought my idle back to the normal range. the screw was almost completely unscrewed. i screwed it in all the way and then just loosened it just a quarter turn back. thanks for the post and pictures.

Last edited:
For the high idle I would check this screwView attachment 1920258View attachment 1920259 mine generally settles around 580-600, so turn the screw all the way in and see what happens and adjust accordingly, also do you have stock gears? I was thinking of running 33s on stock gears but I am unsure of how it'll effect the truck
33s are with stock gears. seems alright but i dont have any other experience with other tires on this truck. No rubbing on inner fender when fully turned which was an issue on my jeep with 33s.

adjusting the screw brought my idle back to the normal range. the screw was almost completely unscrewed. i screwed it in all the way and then just loosened it just a quarter turn back. thanks for the post and pictures.
I'm glad that fixed the high idle issue, mine was almost screwed all the way out because when the p.o had the valves adjusted they had no clearance and were actually tightened past no clearance, so she was a rocket ship on the highway, but the valves not closing fully made it idle real bad, but anyways after I adjusted them properly she was idling 1600 because they had actually glued the screw so it wouldn't come loose because it was so far out,
Happy Cruisin'

Does anyone know what material the radiator is supposed to be made of? Mine is plastic but I thought that they were supposed to be metal

to do that do you need to then add a transmission cooler?

Possibly. The one I bought was supposed to be for a manual but it still had the trans cooler fittings at the bottom of the radiator. That said I wouldn't count on using it, I just put in a trans cooler anyways to try to keep my old transmission cooler.

40593492465_b5d8060b6e_b.jpg

Just another friendly reminder that the diesel 80 series radiator works for the 3F-E and you can get huge and cheap full aluminum ones readily from ebay.
Gonna have to remember that when I need to replace. My original is still going strong, though (and doesn’t yet have that “pre fail brown” look to it)

Thanks, I don't know the answer to that for sure but based on the size I'd guess at least 20% more coolant than stock if not more.
Do you happen to know which one you got? That is the way I'm going to go with the diesel one, if you know which one you bought that would be great,
Thanks
Happy Cruisin'

At a diameter of 33 your effective new ratio will be 3.59:1. The 3FE came with 235x75x15s and 4:10s. In order to maintain stock performance you would want to upgrade to a 4.69:1 ratio, I think that is why 4.88s are so popular, 4.56 is still short. Check out Tire Rack’s gear calculator. Your sweet spot is around 2900 rpms at 65, but with 33s you tires will spin at about 2400. Not enough for grades in my stock rig to maintian 45 mph on hills without down shifting to 3rd constantly-and that is unloaded. Not that the truck won’t handle it... that is not in question.

I am saving the pennies for a re-gear (anybody need some seasoned split oak? :)) Even on 31s I’m already rolling at 3.82. Power and performance are all lagging pretty far behind for me liking, not mention the fuel economy benefits from stock ratio on bigger tires. I can’t speak of de-smogged performance, my CA caveat again

While not specific to the 3fe, I think this is the right group to answer-
Any recommendations on a trailer connector for a 91 that is plug and play?

No, but I do have a generic black box there. The PO spliced in a box, but it only triggers the headlights and not the brake light signal.

771D777A-68EE-49A9-8150-661490B3441A.jpeg

22C287BA-ED07-4270-A827-FDF0F8C8E33A.jpeg

Last edited:
S
No, but I do have a generic black box there. The PO spliced in a box, but it only triggers the headlights and not the brake light signal.

View attachment 1926677

View attachment 1926678
So my best advice would be to go on amazon and pick up a new trailer wire harness and control box (they come together) they run 15- 25 bucks and follow the instructions and you should be set,

This is the one we used in my mom's Sequoia

Screenshot_20190313-164734_Samsung Internet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom