3FE-H55 Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
In my never ending quest for parts for 3FE-H55 swap I have come across a dilemma. I took one of the bolts out of the flex plate on the donor 3F-E to use as a guide to acquire a flywheel, clutch etc. I find a bunch of 2F flywheels and when I try to run the bolt from the 3F-E though it, no go. The hole's in the flywheel are smaller than the bolt I'm using from the 3F-E, do I need to drill the holes in the flywheel out? Is the bolt hole pattern the same on the 3F-E crank? As an aside, the 2H clutch is the same as a 2F. Help!

Good question.
Is there a 3F flywheel?
Because there is a 3F bellhousing, my 87 has one.
What are the bolt diameters? i'll check my flywheel

DSCN5362-vi.jpg

just a thought.....will you require longer bolts? as the flywheel is thicker than the flexplate??

My main wheeling partner put the whole four speed set up from a 1983 60 behind his 3FE with no problems what so ever. Yes I have heard there is a 3FE bellhousing and flywheel but a flywheel and bellhousing from a 2F will also bolt right on.

No reason that an H55 will not bolt on in place of the 4 speed.

Tony

IIRC there was a change with the flex plate bolts from smaller to larger across the 3FE years. Bolt pattern is the same and the holes in the flywheel can be drilled out.

There was also a change in the diameter of the guide bearing hole in the end of the crank somewhere along the way. I don't remember the details, but this came up in the Yahoo 3FE list a few years back when someone sourced a new crankshaft and then ran into the problem.

There was also a change in the diameter of the guide bearing hole in the end of the crank somewhere along the way. I don't remember the details, but this came up in the Yahoo 3FE list a few years back when someone sourced a new crankshaft and then ran into the problem.

Interesting-You mean the pilot bearing hole?

I'll have a chance this fall to sort those details out!

Regarding the 2f and the 3f bellhousing----After 85 all of the bellhousings are 3f. They rotate the transmission and transfer case to the right. This effectively lowers the bottom of the t-case.

The 3F bellhousing is already properly machined to accept the H55f. On a 2F bellhousing, you need to spend 3 minutes grinding small ears in the machined part where the front bearing retainer fits in order to make room for the ears in the H55fs front bearing retainer. The other difference is that the 2F bellhousing uses an adjustable slave cylinder for the clutch, not the fixed length ones from 85 up.

On balance, I think it is desirable to use a 2 F bellhousing, but if I only had a 3F bellhousing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

also in the 2f there was a bearing change on the main bearing and thrust washer design they changed the crank and the bearing they went from a multi peice 4 part bearing to a 2 peice with the thrust built into the bearing vs having to also add those. not that this is an issue in fact the crank can be machined to accept the new style bearing pretty easily.

Yes, the pilot bearing hole.

I searched on the 3FE list and found the post from 2002 by Godwin. The source of the information was SOR who said there were two 3FE cranks, one used by Toyota from 8/87 to 10/89 and the other, which has no provision for a pilot bearing, from 10/89 to 8/92. Also, the bolt pattern is different on the newer crank. So maybe this is a FJ62 3FE vs FJ80 3FE thing. I don't recall reading about any problems like this in the various H55f conversion threads here in the FJ60 section either, so it is likely just a difference with the FJ80 3FE. Something to be aware of though.

Here's the 3FE list post: Yahoo! Groups

OK, the bolt pattern is the same, bolts not. The flywheel could be drilled out, but now I'm worried about the crank not accepting a pilot bearing. A couple of pics, maybe someone could tell if it looks good.
01.jpg
02.jpg

I put one in just recently and the pilot bearing fit fine.

My worry is that this is a '91 3F-E, out of an 80 series. I'll have the pilot bearing this week, that will be the "make it or break it deal". Anybody got a snapshot of the crank (flywheel end) from an '88? I'm sure I could compare crank ends. I need to start my build thread, I don't do anything the easy way as you'll see.

My worry is that this is a '91 3F-E, out of an 80 series. I'll have the pilot bearing this week, that will be the "make it or break it deal". Anybody got a snapshot of the crank (flywheel end) from an '88? I'm sure I could compare crank ends. I need to start my build thread, I don't do anything the easy way as you'll see.

GG, Here's a thread in the 80 series forum in which a H42 was installed in a '92 FJ80 and the flywheel bolt size issue was covered along with pilot bearing fitment.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...speed-manual-transmission-into-1992-fj80.html

Thanks Jim, excellent thread... my fears have been quelled

The other difference is that the 2F bellhousing uses an adjustable slave cylinder for the clutch, not the fixed length ones from 85 up.

I just ran into this last week on my conversion. I already ordered all the clutch components for a post-85 and realized that the slave has a different bolt pattern were it attaches to the 2F BH. Do you see any problem running a pre-85 slave with a post-85 master? Any other parts that I need to source besides the pre-85 slave?

I just ran into this last week on my conversion. I already ordered all the clutch components for a post-85 and realized that the slave has a different bolt pattern were it attaches to the 2F BH. Do you see any problem running a pre-85 slave with a post-85 master? Any other parts that I need to source besides the pre-85 slave?

No. I'm running a later master now with an 84 slave. It seems to be fine.

No. I'm running a later master now with an 84 slave. It seems to be fine.

Good info, thanks! It seems the optimum set-up is a pedal bucket and clutch master from a post-85 with a BH and clutch slave from a pre-85. This keeps things at the firewall happy and keeps the Trans/T-case clocked up higher than running the 3F.

I'll be running the 3F bellhousing due to the fact that the frame I'm using had a previously clocked bellhousing (12H-T/ 5 speed) so the frame crossmember compensates. It was strange mounting the tranny in place, you can see that it has a lean towards the right, I bolted the bellhousing on and it is perfectly level. Trust me, there will be a build thread, I have dozens of pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom