3fe full rebuild -$4800? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My 91 is killing me with the lack of power. I was throwing around the idea of an LS s swap, but I’ve decided that’s too involved, too expensive, and to Frankenstein Cruiser for my liking. A local SoCal performance engine shop quoted me $4800 for a full rebuild, bored 20 over, and what sounded like new everything. I still need to go sit down with him and go over the specifics, and I’m not exactly an intelligent gear-head. He said he’s worked on cruisers before, but I don’t know his 3fe experience per say. He was very quick with the price and said “starts at 4800 and goes up from there.” He did say the boring, pistons, seals, oil pump, etc came with the starting pr.

I really just want a solid DD that can get me up and down these SoCal hills and up to the mountains without screaming in 2nd gear. What types of things do I need to be thinking to accomplish this goal? Will this realistically even get me any more oomph from the old girl? Any advice you can give is much appreciated.

Tough dilemma, I would say go for the V8. But your in Cali so that changes everything. Get her rebuilt and figure out a turbo. I know a turbo 3fe has been done at least once.

Tough dilemma, I would say go for the V8. But your in Cali so that changes everything. Get her rebuilt and figure out a turbo. I know a turbo 3fe has been done at least once.
I should mention that I am military and have the vehicle registered in Florida. No inspection or emissions for me.

If it's running correctly and has good compression and such you really aren't going to pick up power just by rebuilding the engine. It will pick up a little bit if you do everything, camshaft, raise compression, bigger valves, port the head, etc, but only a little, and you're still pushing it through a heavy automatic and a heavy truck.

Price seems reasonable for a regular rebuild though however.

If you want a noticeable difference put a V8 in it, a conversion done right is really not Frankenstein at all

One more piece, I’m about $1500 in with a cat-back exhaust swap and another $3k for rebuilding the A440f... I know, sunk cost fallacy and what not, but that $4500 I already spent makes the work of LS, tranny, and adapters that much harder to stomach.

If it's running correctly and has good compression and such you really aren't going to pick up power just by rebuilding the engine. It will pick up a little bit if you do everything, camshaft, raise compression, bigger valves, port the head, etc, but only a little, and you're still pushing it through a heavy automatic and a heavy truck.

Price seems reasonable for a regular rebuild though however.
That’s what I was worried about. I had it looked over two years ago and tuned up by a Toyota guy in Florida with no discrepancies noted. I do have a burning smell at high rpms going uphill and a dribble of oil at the bell housing making me think rear main leak? She’s pretty stout with only 100k miles on her, but she IS 30 years old without any major maintenance other than fluid changes and a radiator from what I can tell.

I should mention that I am military and have the vehicle registered in Florida. No inspection or emissions for me.

Well than just go for the V8. Also, if you did rebuild the 3fe you could swap in a manual transmission. That would theoretically give you about 5 - 10% more power to the wheels.

One of the big advantages to an LS v8 is how common they are. Any mechanic in the country can get parts for them and work on them. Also once you got the swap dialed in you can easily swap in a new motor(if you kill the first) from the endless supply of LS v8's for a 1/4 the cost of rebuilding the 3fe.

That’s what I was worried about. I had it looked over two years ago and tuned up by a Toyota guy in Florida with no discrepancies noted. I do have a burning smell at high rpms going uphill and a dribble of oil at the bell housing making me think rear main leak? She’s pretty stout with only 100k miles on her, but she IS 30 years old without any major maintenance other than fluid changes and a radiator from what I can tell.
One more piece, I’m about $1500 in with a cat-back exhaust swap and another $3k for rebuilding the A440f... I know, sunk cost fallacy and what not, but that $4500 I already spent makes the work of LS, tranny, and adapters that much harder to stomach.

With these statements, if it's running right and only has 100K on it I'd see no reason to rebuild it, I think you'd be pretty bummed at the result for the cost.
Id just put the money towards a V8 later. The nice thing is you can recoupe some money by selling your engine/transmission/exhaust

With these statements, if it's running right and only has 100K on it I'd see no reason to rebuild it, I think you'd be pretty bummed at the result for the cost.
Id just put the money towards a V8 later. The nice thing is you can recoupe some money by selling your engine/transmission/exhaust

:/ Cue Veruca Salt “but I want it now!”

I think you’re right, unfortunately. I was hoping a rebuild could add some performance, but the LS thoughts just keeps coming back. Thanks for the advice!

:/ Cue Veruca Salt “but I want it now!”

I think you’re right, unfortunately. I was hoping a rebuild could add some performance, but the LS thoughts just keeps coming back. Thanks for the advice!

I'm biased, I do LS swaps regularly :lol:
I'll LS swap it if you end up back in FL. My shop is in Orlando

What about going with a 1fz-fe? Rebuilt long block around $4K +\-. Pretty sure the A440 won’t bolt up, but maybe could get something decent for it since rebuilt and defray cost of a used A442?

Save your money! I went through the same with my 3FE rebuild in my 62 series when I lived down in Socal. Bored 10 over, ported and polished head, Schneider cam, reworked injectors, and a bunch of other stuff. It runs great but is still a 3FE. Doing all of the work myself (except for machine work) I was still in it for over $3k. Wanted to keep it all Toyota but if I could redo I'd go with a 2UZ-FE swap.

I'm biased, I do LS swaps regularly :lol:
I'll LS swap it if you end up back in FL. My shop is in Orlando
Wish I had known this when I was in the Keys the last 3 years! Though she never had trouble on flat old US 1

Solves your California problem but a bit more than $4800
1612276134883.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom