3FE fuel injector replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the 4 hole replacement injectors look completely different from the original OEMs. any idea how these are supposed to seat? still use the same insert body part? I bought em and now can't figure out how they are supposed to seat.

When I did mine a couple years back, there were no 4 pintle hole injectors that I could find that were original body. I asked the guy that did the rebuild if it was possible to fit the old ones with new ports, but he said no. You need the originals, the ones you've got are not going to work with the oem insulators and rail.

I got mine off of eBay and they work great
Consider replacing fuel pressure regulator:

and cold start injector while you are there:

Did you buy OEM Cold Start Injector and Fuel Pressure Regulator? These look awesome, but when I search on SOR, I can only find used and they are still fairly pricey.

I am thinking I would only replace if I could find NOS ( since I believe these are NLA at this point).

Did you service your fuel injectors? If so, any recommendation on a vendor? I am leaning towards WitchHunter at this point, since it seems they are 100% dedicated to cleaning/servicing fuel injectors. I like that kind of focus.

Thanks!

watch the gauge just DROOOOOP...

M.I.(not always)B.

watch the gauge just DROOOOOP...
But if the 4 hole injectors were matched to OE specs when purchased (similar fuel flow rate specs), wouldn't the 4 hole just result in better fuel atomization and thus result in better power without added fuel?
I believe @Kleatus has done this conversion with great results.

But if the 4 hole injectors were matched to OE specs when purchased (similar fuel flow rate specs), wouldn't the 4 hole just result in better fuel atomization and thus result in better power without added fuel?
I believe @Kleatus has done this conversion with great results.
That'd be interesting. If there was a definite answer to whether or not 4-hole injectors work, I'd look into it. I'm still running original OEM injectors with 285K miles on them and have an extra set of OEMs that @cruiser88 sent me a few years back that I was going to send to RC engineering to be rebuilt. What would still give me pause though about 4-hole injectors is if they're some off-brand Chinese product.

if it ain't broke...

That said, I had not considered that moar atomization would make a much more efficient burn, but I suppose I should not discount that theory...

What I love most about the 3FE platform is that it is supposed to be efficient...I would not want to do much to make it burn more fuel, tho. A simple manual transmission conversion frees up sooo much giddyup...

if the 4 hole injectors are cheaper and faster to get, I'd have to have considered it. the thrifty cruiser gets his old shorts cleaned before buying a new set...

I've got an H55 and twin-stick tcase sitting in my shop, but unfortunately no good place to do the conversion (main beam of the shop is too low to jack up my 62), and with my 62 being my only vehicle I can't afford the downtime at this point. I agree completely though that swapping in a manual is a great way to free up wasted power. Just wish I could do the job.

it needs 2 weekends to do clean and easy if all the parts are in and the plan is solid. a guy could do much, much less time, but with more stress added, and a different result. ///I am not that young any longer. it really is the bestest fj62 upgrade, next to 2 lo, and SOR seat foams...

My son’s #1 injector is leaking causing loss of fuel pressure when sitting which is causing long cranking times to start.

I have had little time to deal with this.

Do I bite the bullet on time and pull all of them and send them off to WitchHunter?

Or is it possible to pull only the #1 and replace the O rings?

My son’s #1 injector is leaking causing loss of fuel pressure when sitting which is causing long cranking times to start.

I have had little time to deal with this.

Do I bite the bullet on time and pull all of them and send them off to WitchHunter?

Or is it possible to pull only the #1 and replace the O rings?
If you can afford the downtime, I'd go ahead and send them all off to be rebuilt. If you can't but can afford extras, get an extra set, send them off, and when they come back just take a day to swap them in.

I had forgotten about this thread. If there are actual better than stock (not likely) injectors out there that aren't chinese garbage it'd be worth looking into.

As far as the manual tranny swap goes........it's on the list for next spring with my tax return. Just gotta coordinate with @torfab to get 'er set up and scheduled.

Downtime isn’t a big deal so much as the time to get to do it. I’ll just pull them and send them off to witch hunter. She’s got 290k on her. She’s due.

Is there a thread or any resources that detail this repair?

And about the gaskets: are new gaskets necessary?

Are these the part numbers?
GASKET, AIR SURGE TANK TO INTAKE MANIFOLD
Part Number: 17176-61020

GASKET, MANIFOLD TO CYLINDER HEAD
Part Number: 17172-61060

or will just this one work?
FEL-PRO MS 94731

I have the injectors... just need to make sure I have what I need before I go bananas at this repair.
You do not need to take off the whole intake manifold to replace the injectors. Just the top half (so that first gasket you posted). Taking off the top half of the intake affords a lot of access to the injectors. After that it's simply unbolting the fuel rail, unplugging the injectors and replacing them. Use the FSM for this, it's a great guide. Definitely replace all the plastic caps, o-rings and seals on the injectors. Dont want to have to go back in there. The injectors you have on hand to replace, are they fully built with new o-rings and seals?
You will want new spacers: 90561-10004
and the o-rings for the spacers: 0301-19006

You do not need to take off the whole intake manifold to replace the injectors. Just the top half (so that first gasket you posted). Taking off the top half of the intake affords a lot of access to the injectors. After that it's simply unbolting the fuel rail, unplugging the injectors and replacing them. Use the FSM for this, it's a great guide. Definitely replace all the plastic caps, o-rings and seals on the injectors. Dont want to have to go back in there. The injectors you have on hand to replace, are they fully built with new o-rings and seals?
You will want new spacers: 90561-10004
and the o-rings for the spacers: 0301-19006
image.jpg

They are supposed to come plug n play and look the part to my newbie eyes. Got them off ebay, seller named Osidetiger, but they had about 5000 5star reviews and are located in Los Angeles. Apparently 12-hole injectors—so we will see if they are any better or solve my problems.

Thank you for the heads up on the gasket! It looks like I’ll have to wait a couple days then to do the repair, but can order through autozone or about any auto shop rather than wait for Toyota parts deal to send it.

They are supposed to come plug n play and look the part to my newbie eyes. Got them off ebay, seller named Osidetiger, but they had about 5000 5star reviews and are located in Los Angeles. Apparently 12-hole injectors—so we will see if they are any better or solve my problems.

Thank you for the heads up on the gasket! It looks like I’ll have to wait a couple days then to do the repair, but can order through autozone or about any auto shop rather than wait for Toyota parts deal to send it.
Cool, I’m running those too. Happy with them. 3FE runs great like a tractor motor. You will still want the new spacers and o-rings I posted as well. My spacers were super brittle and needed replacing anyways when I swapped the injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom