3FE Discouraging tale (valves, oil galley, and knocking) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok so to hold the same speed, say 70 on your speedo, your rpms are at 2200 but then to stay at 70mph your rpms start to increase??

certainly sounds like a slipping converter

@roadstr6 @dbenke @GLTHFJ60

Finally have made some progress! Decided to investigate the fuel system. Had the tank replaced and filler neck worked on but never followed up after the repairs to do any kind of inspection. Have a great mechanic down here in Myrtle Beach suspect the fuel strainer might be getting clogged after time and the fuel pump was starting to get overworked on a long drive. Got a new fuel pump, strainer and inline filter. Dropped the tank and boom! The little box around the pump was full of mud and containments. Strainer was trashed. Seems I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the new tank a ONSC member very kindly gave me. Then coupled with the fact it sat for 6months at a mechanics in Raleigh with only an 1/8 of a tank of gas in it..... Well there you go!

Think the fuel contamination was the issue that left me stranded that day. Still some general power loss. Cut the cats out, got marginally better, one was clogged it seemed. Got a new coil and wires. Suspect the coil is not providing the necessary spark per load when I accelerate. Power loss, poorer than usual gas mileage, and shake/rough idle usually all signs that point to the coil. Coil and wires are original so it's time for them to be replaced anyways. Also going to break open the cap and clean and inspect the rotor. Make sure I didn't get water and dirt during some wheeling.

Also, big news!! Found the reason the sunroof was leaking, took matters into my own hands, pulled back the headliner just enough and found a missing drain line. In its place someone had shoved a earplug and duck taped it in. Fashioned a new drain line and perfecto. Sunroof, leak all good!

IMG_20200123_144106.jpg

IMG_20200123_143706.jpg

IMG_20200123_144043.jpg

Finally have made some progress! Decided to investigate the fuel system. Had the tank replaced and filler neck worked on but never followed up after the repairs to do any kind of inspection. Have a great mechanic down here in Myrtle Beach suspect the fuel strainer might be getting clogged after time and the fuel pump was starting to get overworked on a long drive. Got a new fuel pump, strainer and inline filter. Dropped the tank and boom! The little box around the pump was full of mud and containments. Strainer was trashed. Seems I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the new tank a ONSC member very kindly gave me. Then coupled with the fact it sat for 6months at a mechanics in Raleigh with only an 1/8 of a tank of gas in it..... Well there you go!

Think the fuel contamination was the issue that left me stranded that day. Still some general power loss. Cut the cats out, got marginally better, one was clogged it seemed. Got a new coil and wires. Suspect the coil is not providing the necessary spark per load when I accelerate. Power loss, poorer than usual gas mileage, and shake/rough idle usually all signs that point to the coil. Coil and wires are original so it's time for them to be replaced anyways. Also going to break open the cap and clean and inspect the rotor. Make sure I didn't get water and dirt during some wheeling.

Also, big news!! Found the reason the sunroof was leaking, took matters into my own hands, pulled back the headliner just enough and found a missing drain line. In its place someone had shoved a earplug and duck taped it in. Fashioned a new drain line and perfecto. Sunroof, leak all good!

View attachment 2209927

View attachment 2209930

View attachment 2209931
Even more crazy, found another 80 driver with the exact same fuel pump issue on long drives and the exact same sunroof leak. Nothing like seeing an identical twin in the Target parking lot! Dead ringer for my rig, minus my awesome 33s, ha.

IMG_20200124_204126.jpg

View attachment 2209927

View attachment 2209930

View attachment 2209931

Nice!!

View attachment 2209927

View attachment 2209930

View attachment 2209931
So it's been a solid two years since the last post and it is time for some much needed positivity!! I've diligently been learning, listening and just driving the 80. People on here always "talked" about vacuum leaks causing power loss and I thought in terms of my 80 I was good.... thus making my power loss issue mysterious and difficult. OH how WRONG I was! Found a vacuum line around the EGR that was firmly in place yet the piece it was "firmly" connected to was completed rusted and broken. It was needlessly resting right where it was supposed to be yet connected to nothing. Power loss issue solved! In fact now considering the problems that I've had using this truck everyday for school pickup and errands, it's quite impressive. In fact, just drove to Atlanta and back, almost 800 miles round trip and had zero issues! MPG was about 12, from factory 13. I'm blown away happy. Leaks a little oil from both mains, back windows leak, windshield leaks but all and all for a 31 year old DD it is amazing! With gas rising doubt I will be doing a lot more road trips with her but no doubt she can handle it!

So it's been a solid two years since the last post and it is time for some much needed positivity!! I've diligently been learning, listening and just driving the 80. People on here always "talked" about vacuum leaks causing power loss and I thought in terms of my 80 I was good.... thus making my power loss issue mysterious and difficult. OH how WRONG I was! Found a vacuum line around the EGR that was firmly in place yet the piece it was "firmly" connected to was completed rusted and broken. It was needlessly resting right where it was supposed to be yet connected to nothing. Power loss issue solved! In fact now considering the problems that I've had using this truck everyday for school pickup and errands, it's quite impressive. In fact, just drove to Atlanta and back, almost 800 miles round trip and had zero issues! MPG was about 12, from factory 13. I'm blown away happy. Leaks a little oil from both mains, back windows leak, windshield leaks but all and all for a 31 year old DD it is amazing! With gas rising doubt I will be doing a lot more road trips with her but no doubt she can handle it!
Nice..... 3fe's have about 24000 miles of vacuum lines... normally the #1 thing to have an issue with. Can't remember if you've done a de-smog but that does help get rid of quite a lot of lines.

Soo here's my lastest and greatest. Everything's been great expect the igniter module stops working when it gets hot. The parts listed as replacements and the interwebs are nothing but lies, fakes, or phonies. Tried a couple and the distributor got zero on the meter. So I figured, works when cold not when hot (IE engine bay is hot, will not start) so @orion suggested resistance, which I totally concur. Pulled the part, cleaned wire connection and igniter put it back together and now even cold it will not work. Meter coming off the coil doesn't even budge. Assuming it's the igniter module and not the wiring harness, does anyone know where I can find one? Cruiser Corp and a few others all said no go or didn't even call me back. Does anyone see anything out of place here? I know I might have bent a couple of the connectors cleaning. I bent them back straight before I put it back together. Thanks y'all!

PXL_20230303_185005134.jpg

PXL_20230303_184417354.jpg

PXL_20230303_184339889.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom