3FE 90 amp alternator sanity check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's legit! And the FLAPS says it's a good alternator!

hhmAcEk.jpg

I installed the 90 amp alternator on my 91 a couple of years ago. It was actually pretty easy, but was a little pricey. I sourced a 90 amp engine/alternator mount from Specter Off Road and bolted it on. Let me know if there is any interest in pictures.
Cheers,
Scot

Pics would be be great!

Sadly I didn't get very good pictures. Basically the engine mount is what the alternator mounts to so once you source a "narrow" one you just swap them out. I also bought a 90 amp upper bracket, but I'm not sure that is necessary. From there is just bolts in.

The 90 amp alternator is on the right and the 80 amp is on the left.
DSC00205.JPG

Here is a picture of the 80 amp alternator and the engine mount out of the vehicle to give you and idea of what needs to be changed.
DSC00214.JPG

This last picture is a 90 amp in the truck.
DSC00213.JPG

Sadly I didn't get very good pictures. Basically the engine mount is what the alternator mounts to so once you source a "narrow" one you just swap them out. I also bought a 90 amp upper bracket, but I'm not sure that is necessary. From there is just bolts in.

The 90 amp alternator is on the right and the 80 amp is on the left.View attachment 1575026

Here is a picture of the 80 amp alternator and the engine mount out of the vehicle to give you and idea of what needs to be changed.View attachment 1575027

This last picture is a 90 amp in the truck.
View attachment 1575029
Do you happen to have a pic of the narrow engine mount? I have never seen one.

I didn't get a picture before installing it:( I will see if theres any way to get a picture in the truck. However, it is exactly the same mount except it has a narrower casting where the alternator mounts up. In fact they resemble each other so much the guys at SOR didn't even realize there were 2 different mounts and said it was dumb luck they never sent the wrong mount out. They said they have a big box full of mounts and at the time I sourced mine there were three 90 amp mounts in it.
Cheers,
Scot

I'm not sure if anyone needs this, but here is a picture of the 80 amp mount. To change them out you will need to remover three 17mm bolts and one 17mm nut.
DSC00203.JPG

Thanks the info is helpful. Good to know the whole inner wall was just shifted over for the 90 amp.

Well, my first attempt didn't work. It turns out that in addition to the tab-grinding that is needed, my rear mounting tab has a steel insert that is too long, this spaces the alternator forward some, and if I had tightened it down it would have cracked the housing.

The steel bit is flush with the front of the rear tab, which makes sense if the alternator were to be clamped with the tabs outside the mount as intended. But with the rear tab sitting in front of the mount this extra length becomes an issue. I ground it away but ran out of time before I could see if it would finally fit.

Here's an album of the pictures I took:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Well, my first attempt didn't work. It turns out that in addition to the tab-grinding that is needed, my rear mounting tab has a steel insert that is too long, this spaces the alternator forward some, and if I had tightened it down it would have cracked the housing.

The steel bit is flush with the front of the rear tab, which makes sense if the alternator were to be clamped with the tabs outside the mount as intended. But with the rear tab sitting in front of the mount this extra length becomes an issue. I ground it away but ran out of time before I could see if it would finally fit.

Here's an album of the pictures I took:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
That little insert is movable. Just tap it flush with the ear :)

I looked into that but mine was pressed in quite firmly. In the absence of a jig for it I would have definitely broken it off.

So the OP still does not have the 90 amp alternator installed?

So the OP still does not have the 90 amp alternator installed?
Actually it's installed and works great and I saved enough money to buy about 50 gallons of gas but thanks for all your support!

uC2Bscq.jpg

Actually it's installed and works great and I saved enough money to buy about 50 gallons of gas but thanks for all your support!

uC2Bscq.jpg
Alright, great work !!! :clap: Hoping I can finish my install this weekend.

Post pics when you get yours done!

we'll see how long it lasts LOL

Some people can't leave well enough alone

I got a nicer replacement to my 80 amp that was going out and I saved $100+ in the process. I'm not sure what about this is so offensive to you.

I got a nicer replacement to my 80 amp that was going out and I saved $100+ in the process. I'm not sure what about this is so offensive to you.
Finished the mount mod tonight. I definitely went the crazier route :hillbilly:
37604881335_7d252924a9_c.jpg

Perfect fit now:
26716045999_cd213c7558_c.jpg

Will get painted now and mounted soon.

So is that actually a motor mount or is it just a bracket? I thought about removing mine but I don't want to drop my 3F-E on the driveway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom