3b twin scroll turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg
So I finished building this the other day. Bolted it up last weekend. It's a twin scroll td04hl-13t-8.5cm. Added a FMIC too. So my first impressions are very very positive. Builds boost right off idle. Right now my fuel is conservative but it's still makes like 10lbs by 1500rpm. Measuring drive pressure shows it's always 1:1 and often better under load with higher egts. Still have to tune it and check for boost leaks mind you. I'll post up a video some time as I know pics don't do it for most of you ADD guys.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Off idle engine performance is better too I think due to no cylinder contamination as cylinders 1-4 and 2-3 run their own runners and don't interfere when timing is close, especially at low rpms. The copper line is the drive pressure reference. It's got a divorced wastegate so down pipe flow is very smooth. Spent a Saturday building it. Sits comfortably off the fire wall with triple header wrap.

The down pipe is 2.5" stainless mandrel bend transitioning to 3" stainless pipe about 12" down where the wastegate flow merges. The flows merge parallel to keep it clean. From there its going to be 3" stainless through an aero turbine dumping in front of the passanger rear tire.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Intercooler is a 29x9x 2.5 core with 2.5" inlet/outlets. Piping is 2" stainless with welded beads on the ends to keep the silicone elbows from slipping. It's suspended with an angle iron bracket above with another bracket below supporting it. Hood closes nicely.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sort of ran out of the same colour elbows. More are on order. I kind of like the blue. Course when I showed my wife the first thing she says is "well that looks retarded, the blue looks really retarded. Are you keeping the blue?" I guess black might be a better choice. My wife is a clear communicator. Tuff to get the elbows to tuck beside the double head lights on the 62without touching but managed to do it. The big round lights of the 60 series give you a lot more room and thus are easier to fit piping.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So airbox piping is fairly straight forward but I have to tilt the box down a bit to minimize the piping and bends. Pulls nice cold air through my poser snorkle. Lots of old folks ask me if I go through rivers often or something. I tell them I work for environment Candada and am collecting mosquitos to see if Zika virus is in the area. Most just sort of wince and stop talking for a while. Then I tell them that the elderly are more at risk because of all the medications the take for arthritis and that the medical system uses them sort of like a canary in a coal mine.....Then they frown and go away.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Am still in the middle of finishing the dash gauge wiring for the truck but took it for a drive tonight and got it up to operating temp and it's tuff to get the egts above 800f right now with 20lbs boost. Needs more fuel to say the least. I placed my egt probe on the 1-4 runner as I figured those cylinders tend to get less air from the intake manifold and will run hotter and put the drive pressure gauge port on that runner as well as its got more bends and is longer overall and will run higher drive pressure. The second day driving it with this set up I promptly tore a motor mount so that's in the mail to replace it. Takes very little pedal to get it going. Lots of torque. Interested to see how it climbs hills. Still also need to remount the airbox too.
g

Last edited:
Is there an idiots guide to twin scroll turbo's . Who, what where and when, with pics too please.

G

Not that I know of. I did most of my reading many years ago on boards that build turbos for formula and Indy cars. Was super hard to get any real data back then. Now just google it and there is lots available. In short it improves a turbos exhaust flow and overall performance in every way without any drawbacks except cost, harder to build and requires more room to fit.
image.jpeg

trippy... never ever heard of them before.

So airbox piping is fairly straight forward but I have to tilt the box down a bit to minimize the piping and bends. Pulls nice cold air through my poser snorkle. Lots of old folks ask me if I go through rivers often or something. I tell them I work for environment Candada and am collecting mosquitos to see if Zika virus is in the area. Most just sort of wince and stop talking for a while. Then I tell them that the elderly are more at risk because of all the medications the take for arthritis and that the medical system uses them sort of like a canary in a coal mine.....Then they frown and go away.
View attachment 1348119

lol

You're a bad, bad, anti-social man Gerg!!

Gerg,

Im going to track this carefully. I have been thinking about this for about 6months and got a 3B/H55F/38mm splitcase setup from Joe for this exact purpose.

I have read the AXT site as one option, but sounds like your getting to max normal boost (10psi)abiut 400 rpm lower, which is great honestly.

The intercooler is great addition as well.

Keep up the good work. I might be interested in a exhaust kit if you make it business opportunity.

Ernie

Screenshot_20161108-045126.jpg

Hah! Hey, if you can't have some fun with anoying old men what good are they?

Ernie, it spools fast. When I get time, I never have extra time mind you, I'll be swapping out the turbine for a higher flowing one and put an updated version of the compressor on with a rebuild. Since it spools so low it gives me a lot of room to play with it. I'll keep you in mind if I make an extra one. The first one took many hours though.
g

As a mechanical engineer i appreciate the level of detail to make the split exhaust work. If and when you ever have the time, ill have the money.

Cheers

Screenshot_2016-07-23-16-27-18.jpg

The goal is to match thr higher and earlier torque curve if the 2F

As you fan see above the red arrows are the shift transition points and thr real need to have full boost by 1400-1500 rpm so your always in the power band.

Torque rules....not HP

Great work Gerg. Only a few questions for you!

What was the turbo from? Liberty/legacy?
Do you know what the individual nozzle areas are?
Do you know if the turbine wheel/CHRA is the same as the standard TD04HL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom