315 test drive DFW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am totally twisted around the axle about tire size on my 80 series. Does anyone have a lightly to zero armored 80 series with 4.11 gearing running 315’s that they wouldn’t mind letting a total stranger drive around with them for a little bit? I know this is a crazy ask but it is a big investment and I want to see the power loss without spending 1,500 dollars if possible. I’m in McKinney, TX. PM me if this doesn’t sound crazy to you.

I can tell you that my 4.11 gasser on 31s went noticeably steam-powered when I put 33s on it.
And you're talking the next respectable level up from that.
Disclosure...I'm almost at 300kmi and empty a catch can every 150 miles or so.

What exactly are you concerned about? A re-gear to 4.88s?
Yes, it will be most advantageous to do so.
And this all sounds pre-purchase, yes?

I can tell you that my 4.11 gasser on 31s went noticeably steam-powered when I put 33s on it.
And you're talking the next respectable level up from that.
Disclosure...I'm almost at 300kmi and empty a catch can every 150 miles or so.

What exactly are you concerned about? A re-gear to 4.88s?
Yes, it will be most advantageous to do so.
And this all sounds pre-purchase, yes?
I have a garage queen 40th anniversary on 33’s and am on a budget. It’s not a DD and I don’t wheel (light over-landing). This is purely cosmetic, but don’t want to regear. According to the posts here a lot of people get by without rehearing.

I have a garage queen 40th anniversary on 33’s and am on a budget. It’s not a DD and I don’t wheel (light over-landing). This is purely cosmetic, but don’t want to regear. According to the posts here a lot of people get by without rehearing.
Regear

Texas is pretty flat. 315's and OEM gears are not a problem. We drove our Cruiser from central NC to William Arizona with 315 mud terrains and stock gears. It was loaded down and a slug in the NC mountains and the drive from Page AZ to Flagstaff AZ was brutal due to elevation. However I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Gears with larger tires have other benefits. Offroad the low range is significantly more effective. On road the engine stays in the power band with no decrease in fuel economy.

Texas is pretty flat. 315's and OEM gears are not a problem. We drove our Cruiser from central NC to William Arizona with 315 mud terrains and stock gears. It was loaded down and a slug in the NC mountains and the drive from Page AZ to Flagstaff AZ was brutal due to elevation. However I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Gears with larger tires have other benefits. Offroad the low range is significantly more effective. On road the engine stays in the power band with no decrease in fuel economy.
That is good content. I want to roll on A/T’s. I love the looks and everyone on the site says just go to 315’s. Regretted not doing it when I bought the 285’s. Just don’t want to spend good money twice.

With your intended purpose, you could get by w/o a regear.

That is good content. I want to roll on A/T’s. I love the looks and everyone on the site says just go to 315’s. Regretted not doing it when I bought the 285’s. Just don’t want to spend good money twice.
I'm not saying there isn't a performance penalty, there definitely is but I don't think it's as bad as you might be expecting and LOADS of folks run 315's and even 37's with stock gears in much worse conditions.

Being in Texas I think you will be fine. Pretty flat country out there compared to Wyoming 🤣

315‘s here, stock 4.11 gears and it’s been my DD for two and a half years. No regrets here, prolly will go high range under-drive in the TC vs regear to improve the driveability. For now it’s PWR button on and OD off for the grades I see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom