3 Linked 80 is clattering....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I intend on going to the hangar today for a bit to work on the cruiser. If I go I will try and remember to check phasing on my rear also.

@petwhookie consensus says it's the rear driveline. I want you to do me a favor. Very carefully inspect the inner edges of the yokes of the rear driveline and the companion flanges. I was able to find wear there on mine which is what led me to the cause. If I remember correctly I added quite a bit of an angle to the rear pinion before it stopped. I ended up lengthening my rear links and sleeving them in .250" wall DOM which required re-setting the angle but I haven't had issue's since the initial adjustment. You may need to band-aid it with a DC but many of us haven't and my initial lift was 7" TJM this solution worked on the 6" Slee and is still working down to the 5" Dobinsons Heavy.

Take that rear driveline off and give it another good inspection at the yokes and companions...you should find some indicator of wear. Or maybe on of your spiders is grinding due to lost/damaged needles.
Great info

Alright guys. I took a break on my truck and knocked out a client job (t-case swap & upgraded steering box install).

In the end, I had the pinion angle pointed down with the new OEM driveshaft and got it to clatter not as much. It was as close as parallel I could get with the T-case but still made noise I didn't like.

After speaking with other cruiser heads locally, I bite the bullet and bought a DC rear driveshaft from Tom's Wood. Installed it clatter. Then realized I had to point up the pinion angle.

The noise has significantly disappeared! :hillbilly:

Alright guys. I took a break on my truck and knocked out a client job (t-case swap & upgraded steering box install).

In the end, I had the pinion angle pointed down with the new OEM driveshaft and got it to clatter not as much. It was as close as parallel I could get with the T-case but still made noise I didn't like.

After speaking with other cruiser heads locally, I bite the bullet and bought a DC rear driveshaft from Tom's Wood. Installed it clatter. Then realized I had to point up the pinion angle.

The noise has significantly disappeared! :hillbilly:
You going to Cruise Moab this year ?

You going to Cruise Moab this year ?
Unfortunately, no. I had this issue and didn't want to drive thousands of miles with it. But now that its mostly resolved... :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom