FEELER: 80 Frame plates & shock towers for 3 link kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Recently, I had my 80 3 linked and my fabricator was considering selling the frame plates and shock towers to market. It would come in raw metal. $600-$800 for the kit. This was designed around the 4wu kit and using King 2.5x14" coilovers.

What is everyone's thoughts?

957943EF-4938-4F3C-8C54-24F323475699.jpeg

A23B737E-AF29-4D3C-BC03-24E9BA99194D.jpeg

IMG_3647.jpeg

What does the top brace look like?

To be frank, not for $600-$800. Maybe if they were about half that price. Universal towers and tubes are like $250 or you can just have a local fab guy make them.

4WU is a cool quit as well but also held back by its price.

I’m sure he can sell it to some content creators as a boutique item.

They look nice though.

Last edited:
Don’t know how many he would sell, but would be nice to have that option for people who want to do this

I don't like how the tower mounts to the frame. Probably fine tho.

I hate towers like that now - unless you need a structure to French into a frame rail or something, tubes are so much more flexible

To be frank, not for $600-$800. Maybe if they were about half that price. Universal towers and tubes are like $250 or you can just have a local fab guy make them.

4WU is a cool quit as well but also held back by its price.

I’m sure he can sell it to some content creators as a boutique item.

They look nice though.
Local fab guy? Will make this for 250?

Local fab guy? Will make this for 250?

I meant that separately as in you can get a local fab guy to make them for the same price of $600-$800 or less and I think most would rather support their local guy.

EDIT: now that I think about it a local guy would probably charge $250 to weld it, if it was sold as a weldable kit.

Maybe the dude can sell precut kits for like $250. I would definitely consider a DIY kit.

I would be interested, there are universal kit but having something specific to the 80 series would be nice.

Fab guys bill by square feet of steel?

Fab work has cost of labor as just that, labor. Part of a quote would also include billing for materials. I was just asking *in general* how much square feet of steel that would be for the kit.

Maybe it'll all fit in a 4' x 4' piece? That's $115 cost (internal) right there alone if it's 3/16", but material gets marked up as well so it'd be more than that on your bill.

How do you guys bill it out?

So just say this is a 80 specific part.
To build it what would need to be done?
Come up with a design. How many hours?
Make said design out of cardboard or poster board. How many hours?
We will say you got your design on the first try. How many hours?
Now take that design program into computer. How many hours?
Cut said design. How many hours?
Clean up slag of cut parts. How many hours?
Make a welding jig so every part stays consistent. How many hours?
Weld all parts . How many hours?
Now calculate hours by the suggested $250.00 price.
What do you get?

So just say this is a 80 specific part.
To build it what would need to be done?
Come up with a design. How many hours?
Make said design out of cardboard or poster board. How many hours?
We will say you got your design on the first try. How many hours?
Now take that design program into computer. How many hours?
Cut said design. How many hours?
Clean up slag of cut parts. How many hours?
Make a welding jig so every part stays consistent. How many hours?
Weld all parts . How many hours?
Now calculate hours by the suggested $250.00 price.
What do you get?

Oh, you missed my point.

I agree 100% on everything you stated, as mock ups and fitment takes the longest.

Was referring to owning said CAD file, which is what I replied to *specifically*.

S
I meant that separately as in you can get a local fab guy to make them for the same price of $600-$800 or less and I think most would rather support their local guy.

EDIT: now that I think about it a local guy would probably charge $250 to weld it, if it was sold as a weldable kit.

Maybe the dude can sell precut kits for like $250. I would definitely consider a DIY kit.

$250 is implausible and laughable. Unless you are at a bar drinking and doing critical engineering on a napkin with a stripper on your lap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom