2UZ-FE Diffrences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a difference between the 2UZ-FE that they put in the Tundras and Sequoia vs the FJ100s from 200-2004? I am looking at buying a 2001 land cruiser and the motor looks totally different that my buddies Tundra from the same year. After some research it sounds like they are the same motor? Or is the one for the land cruiser built better in some way? How many miles can you expect out of this motor and roughly how much would a rebuild be if I were looking at doing one in the future. More familiar with the 2F so thought I would ask the 100 guys.

Thanks,

The big change was the VVTi on the newer (05-06 and up) 2UZ-FE bumping up to 270-ish HP. The HP changed a little from the '02 - '03 years on the Hunny, not too familiar with the Tundys. Core motor is probably generally the same, but different ECUs, engine bay layouts, pumps, cams, mounts, etc... I suppose:meh: IIRC, the 100 series motors were made in Japan, Tundras made in USA

I think there was a thread on mud that someone was going to try to do a motor swap that covered a lot of good information.

edit: Found it: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/184128-1998-landcruiser-tundra-2uzfe-swap.html:cheers:

Last edited:
FYI: In North America it was the '06-'07 LC that got the VVT.

Supposedly the North American built engines used casted connecting rods and the 100 engines from Japan had forged connecting rods.

Its my understanding that we have the US to thank for losing the TRD supercharger. As it was the NA engines that were having the issues with breaking connecting rods.

I could be wrong, but thats what I gathered from reading on these forums.

My speculation is the connecting rods on both are of the same construction as the replacement part numbers for both the LC and Tundra are the same.

The TRD SC, I think, was designed and manufactured by US company Magnussen. I don't even know if the SC was offered overseas.

My speculation is the connecting rods on both are of the same construction as the replacement part numbers for both the LC and Tundra are the same.

The TRD SC, I think, was designed and manufactured by US company Magnussen. I don't even know if the SC was offered overseas.

According to toyodiy's EPC, they're different.

Gotta look this up tonight - I had seen numerous claims of LC/LXs having forged vs. the cast rods on the other lineup of 2UZ-FEs, but I took hoser's lead and looked up the connecting rod assembly for 05 tundra and 05 lx and when I looked it up the part number for connecting rod subassembly on both rigs is 13201-50032 - can't see how they're the same part number if one is forged and the other's cast...

Trunk Monkey - are you saying toyodiy lists different part numbers for tundy vs. hundy? When I look up the part number on toyodiy (http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=13201-50032&mU=on) it shows the same for all these vehicles:
04/1991-06/2000 LEXUS SC300/400 UZZ30,JZZ31 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

01/2001-06/2010 LEXUS SC430 UZZ40 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

08/1997-12/2004 LEXUS GS300/400/430 JZS160,UZS16* 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

01/2005- LEXUS GS30/35/43/460 GRS19*,URS190,UZS190 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

10/1994-07/2000 LEXUS LS400 UCF20 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

08/2000-07/2006 LEXUS LS430 UCF30 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

08/2002-07/2009 TOYOTA 4RUNNER GRN21*,UZN21* 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

11/2002-07/2009 LEXUS GX470 UZJ120 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

01/1998-07/2007 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER UZJ100 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

01/1998-07/2007 LEXUS LX470 UZJ100 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

02/1999-09/2006 TOYOTA TUNDRA GSK30,UCK3*,4*,VCK30,40 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

11/2006- TOYOTA TUNDRA GSK5*,UCK5*,UPK5*,USK5* 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

09/2000-10/2007 TOYOTA SEQUOIA UCK35,45 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

11/2007- TOYOTA SEQUOIA UCK6*,UPK6*,USK6* 13-01: CRANKSHAFT & PISTON

Last edited:
'99 Tundra 13201-69145
'99 Land Cruiser 13201-50030

In '05 the SC was no longer available. So, it's possible that because of the problems with the cast rods that they switched to the forged LC rods in all motors, hence the same part number for later years.

The cast vs. forged has been confirmed by a TRD employee first hand to a good friend of mine that works for Toyota Corp. I don't know why it's still speculation. Again, why the "i-Force" designation for US motors? Why the issues with SC's on Tundras and Sequioas and not on LC's?

Trunk Monkey said:
'99 Tundra 13201-69145
'99 Land Cruiser 13201-50030

In '05 the SC was no longer available. So, it's possible that because of the problems with the cast rods that they switched to the forged LC rods in all motors, hence the same part number for later years.

The cast vs. forged has been confirmed by a TRD employee first hand to a good friend of mine that works for Toyota Corp. I don't know why it's still speculation. Again, why the "i-Force" designation for US motors? Why the issues with SC's on Tundras and Sequioas and not on LC's?

nothing personal but part numbers dont support the secondhand information.

the 69145 part you list is for tundras with 5vzfe engine. the 50030 and 50032 both are shared by tundras and lxs abd lcs with 2uzfe. thats according to toyodiy.com.

i guess it could be a difference bw from the factory vs replacement parts.

Last edited:
I finally had a chance to look at the LC/LX's New Feature writeup on the 2UZ-FE Engine Design from TIS and it says connecting rods are forged, see below. I can't explain why the parts numbers for connecting rod assembly for 2uzfe Tundras and LXs and LCs are all the same if Tundras are not forged, but at least the LC's 2UZ-FE writeup from Toyota/TIS clearly states it's forged. I looked up the Tundra's 2UZ-FE write up on new features in 2000 and it does not say anything about having forged connecting rods, but I did find in the Tundra's 2007 writeup on the 2UZ-FE that it lists forged connecting rods as a new feature.

Not sure what i-Force has to do with cast vs. forged (in fact can't find anything meaningful about what i-Force really is other than a badge) :confused:

Anyhow, here's the excerpt:
"
6. Connecting Rod
The sintered and forged connecting rod is very rigid and has little weight fluctuation.
A weight-adjusting boss is provided at the big end to reduce fluctuation of weight and balance the engine
assembly.
The connecting rod cap is held by plastic region tightening bolts.
The connecting rods for the right and left banks are placed in opposite directions with the outer marks
facing the crankshaft.
The connecting rod bearing is made of aluminum alloy.
"

I know I'm new to the rodeo here, but this got me thinking - based on the comparison found in this link http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html all 2uzfes have the same skinny(er) connecting rods compared to the 1uzfe. Is it possible that the problem was never forged vs. cast and not a difference b/w lc and tundra but rather a problem that existed in all 2uzfes and it just was most reported (or only reported) in Tundras? In other words, is it possible that Tundras and LX and LCs all have the same exact forged rods, but more people supercharged the tundras and therefore the percentage of failures there was more noticed? I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim EVERY supercharged Tundra bombed, only a small number were ever reported. The numbers game would seem easy to play here - an LC or 4R or any other 2UZFE could bomb - they all have the skinnier 2UZFE connecting rods forged or not - it's just a numbers game that some number of the Tundras were the ones reported.

I recognize I don't have enough data or knowledge on this one but then again is there any official information on this topic of forged in Japan vs. cast in US and when/why the connecting rods explode? (And by official I don't mean heard from a good friend that heard from a guy that works at...)

Last edited:
The part number for the long block also shows the same, although somewhere else it was reported that the attach points and mounts were different?

2000 LC shows 11401‑59676

2000 Tundra shows 11401‑59676

does look like the rods changed three times (for both LC and Tundra). mine is a late may 2000 build. wonder what's different in the 032 rods that increased the cost?

13201‑50030 (01/1998 - 02/2000) $163.46
13201‑50031 (03/2000 - 04/2000) $163.46
13201‑50032 (05/2000 - 07/2002) $182.54

It's also possible that Toyota allowed a single replacement part for both engines but that they came from the factory with different parts. This kind of parts consolidation not unusual.

On older models Toyota is sometimes just branding an aftermarket part and selling it in a Toyota box.

Seems to me pictures of connecting rods from the different trucks would be a better way to tell if their are differences.

I finally had a chance to look at the LC/LX's New Feature writeup on the 2UZ-FE Engine Design from TIS and it says connecting rods are forged, see below. I can't explain why the parts numbers for connecting rod assembly for 2uzfe Tundras and LXs and LCs are all the same if Tundras are not forged, but at least the LC's 2UZ-FE writeup from Toyota/TIS clearly states it's forged. I looked up the Tundra's 2UZ-FE write up on new features in 2000 and it does not say anything about having forged connecting rods, but I did find in the Tundra's 2007 writeup on the 2UZ-FE that it lists forged connecting rods as a new feature.

Not sure what i-Force has to do with cast vs. forged (in fact can't find anything meaningful about what i-Force really is other than a badge) :confused:

Anyhow, here's the excerpt:
"
6. Connecting Rod
The sintered and forged connecting rod is very rigid and has little weight fluctuation.
A weight-adjusting boss is provided at the big end to reduce fluctuation of weight and balance the engine
assembly.
The connecting rod cap is held by plastic region tightening bolts.
The connecting rods for the right and left banks are placed in opposite directions with the outer marks
facing the crankshaft.
The connecting rod bearing is made of aluminum alloy.
"

I know I'm new to the rodeo here, but this got me thinking - based on the comparison found in this link Lexus 1UZFE, 2UZFE and 3UZFE rod all 2uzfes have the same skinny(er) connecting rods compared to the 1uzfe. Is it possible that the problem was never forged vs. cast and not a difference b/w lc and tundra but rather a problem that existed in all 2uzfes and it just was most reported (or only reported) in Tundras? In other words, is it possible that Tundras and LX and LCs all have the same exact forged rods, but more people supercharged the tundras and therefore the percentage of failures there was more noticed? I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim EVERY supercharged Tundra bombed, only a small number were ever reported. The numbers game would seem easy to play here - an LC or 4R or any other 2UZFE could bomb - they all have the skinnier 2UZFE connecting rods forged or not - it's just a numbers game that some number of the Tundras were the ones reported.

I recognize I don't have enough data or knowledge on this one but then again is there any official information on this topic of forged in Japan vs. cast in US and when/why the connecting rods explode? (And by official I don't mean heard from a good friend that heard from a guy that works at...)

Any chance you can post a link to that document? I, and I assume, others enjoy reading some of the tech background that goes into making these bulletproof motors such as the lack of the EGR system and the oil routing that makes it so easy on oil.

FWIW the 4Runner V8 has the same V8 as Land Cruiser (Japanese) and it says i-Force.

It's also possible that Toyota allowed a single replacement part for both engines but that they came from the factory with different parts. This kind of parts consolidation not unusual.

On older models Toyota is sometimes just branding an aftermarket part and selling it in a Toyota box.

Seems to me pictures of connecting rods from the different trucks would be a better way to tell if their are differences.

Might be hard to do that with a reciprocating part. I would think you would want all of your con rods to be of the same type...

Might be hard to do that with a reciprocating part. I would think you would want all of your con rods to be of the same type...

As usual you cannot compare things made in Japan and the USA - there is no comparison IMO.

As usual you cannot compare things made in Japan and the USA - there is no comparison IMO.

Isn't a Japan or US issue. It's a forged vs cast issue. Do you have data to suggest that all parts are the same mass and center of gravity? 7 cast rods may not play nice with an 8th rod that is forged regardless of country of origin. For this reason, I would think Toyota would not blend dissimilar parts into the same number.

This is the seqouia's 2uz-fe engine design:
http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinfo/Random FSM Data/2uz-History.pdf

And for the 4Runner's 2uz-fe engine design:
http://www.panavi.kz/4runner/215/NCF/2uz-fe_engineproper.pdf

Both the Sequoia and 4Runner 2uz-fe writeup say it has sintered and forged connecting rods!

So the following points lead me to conclude that all 2UZ-FEs have the same forged rods:
1) Sequoia and 4Runner writeups saying forged rods
2) the part numbers for Landcruiser and Tundra connecting rod assemblies are the same
3) Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum - View Single Post - 2UZ-FE Connecting Rods forged or cast?
4) http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html and http://www.lextreme.com/Toyota-Lexus-Rods.html - no indication that the issue is cast vs. forged rather measurable specs - forged or not forged they're weak b/c of their lighter weight design
5) http://www.lextreme.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7157.html says he saw a landcruiser with failed connecting rod (for fun I'm gonna see if Lextreme himself can give me firsthand info)

This is enough to convince me that all 2UZ-FE engines have forged connecting rods.

I'll have to double check the Tundra writeup where I couldn't find the forged connecting rod statement - maybe it wasn't in the engine design and only in the engine details writeup (for both sequoia and landcruiser it looks like it was in both those sections).

Fyi - I payed for the 2 day subscription to look up the information I quoted and referenced in my previous posts. I would not post the stuff myself but I don't mind pointing you to someone else's links.

Btw, if you just look at Index of /files/mr2/techinfo/Random FSM Data or http://www.panavi.kz/4runner/215/NCF they have a ton of other docs as well.
If you want the official info check out http://techinfo.toyota.com/.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom