2UZ-FE Diffrences (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If they're the same, why isn't the LC mentioned alongside the Tundra for comparison in your Sequoia doc?

I didn't say the engines are exactly the same, just that they have the same forged connecting rods.
I'm not sure what there is to argue about the connecting rods being forged or cast - do you agree that the sequoia and 4Runner docs above both state they have "sintered and forged" connecting rods? Unless the documents are wrong, I think the forged vs. cast rod debate has been ended by Toyota's own documentation. Could there be any differences b/w the flavors of 2UZ-FE? Sure and maybe i-Force is one of them, as well as layout. But is cast vs. forged connecting rods one of those differences? I don't think so.

If you question the source I'll gladly pay $15 for another 2 day subscription to lookup on TIS myself rather than relying on the sites above that had the docs.

Also, fwiw, I PMd Lextreme himself and he says he has seen many failed rods out of Landcruisers and that they have the same weak forged rods as the other 2UZ-FEs (he responded to my PM within minutes).

Separate from the PM he also posted the following: "Dont let the word forged fool you. They are very weak."
Link here: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119559#post119559

Last edited:
Any chance you can post a link to that document? I, and I assume, others enjoy reading some of the tech background that goes into making these bulletproof motors such as the lack of the EGR system and the oil routing that makes it so easy on oil.

FWIW the 4Runner V8 has the same V8 as Land Cruiser (Japanese) and it says i-Force.

well...okay - here's a link: LX Feature Documentation - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
Haven't used the site before but hopefully it works well. (Update - just looked at it from your view and you would have to download each file separately unless you upgrade then you could get a folder at a time. If anyone has a better file sharing site lemme know).
ENJOY!!!

The link is to a folder containing all the LX470 year by year updates that I found - at the time I was looking for LX, not LC specific stuff - I believe the overwhelming majority is the same. If you haven't seen these docs b/f, the way it works is each year they publish new features of the vehicle by category. If I'm looking for all the amazing features of an '05 LX, I'd have to look at the new features from 98 up through the 05 and in our case most of the 'new' features will be listed in the 98 year. At a glance, 98's got the most new features of course, and then 2000/2003/2006 each have significant changes with the years in between not as major changes. I also posted what I have of the 08 LX570 new features.

No guarantee on how long the link will be active...

And on the topic of i-Force, if someone could explain what it is (other than marketing hype) I'd be much obliged. I didn't get any hits on TIS search so I question whether it's just a creative catchy name for something like VVT-i or ETCS-i both of which exist on non i-Force badged engines?

Last edited:
Found this while I was researching the differences dont know if it helps but kind of funny.

the "i" stands for "i'm following the recent trend of putting a lowercase 'i' in front of everything" "imac", "iforce", "ithis", "ithat", "iwannapuke"...

Might be hard to do that with a reciprocating part. I would think you would want all of your con rods to be of the same type...

I don't think they are usually replaced individually. So differences between the "generations" of parts wouldn't matter.

It'd also possible that the parts could be identically designed but differently built on two different continents with different outcomes.

Or the Tundra uniquely stresses the engine placing the same part under a different load. .

I don't think they are usually replaced individually. So differences between the "generations" of parts wouldn't matter.

It'd also possible that the parts could be identically designed but differently built on two different continents with different outcomes.

That's my point. Say you ordered up a batch of 8 con rods. Parts guy pulls 6 from one location and 2 from another. Shouldn't matter, they're all the same part number, right? But if the part number represented a blended stock you could have dissimilar rods. Maybe with something like a tail light relay it wouldn't matter if there was a equivalent substitution. Con rods should definitely match exactly.

Last edited:
The only real question is, could a LC with a blown motor use a replacement from the 4.7s made in Huntsville, AL?

The only real question is, could a LC with a blown motor use a replacement from the 4.7s made in Huntsville, AL?

I'd say yes since they share the same part number. But that doesn't mean that they would be the exact same construction as the original Japan built engine had in it.

That's my point. Say you ordered up a batch of 8 con rods. Parts guy pulls 6 from one location and 2 from another. Shouldn't matter, they're all the same part number, right? But if the part number represented a blended stock you could have dissimilar rods. Maybe with something like a tail light relay it wouldn't matter if there was a equivalent substitution. Con rods should definitely match exactly.

That's one reason a parts number changes over the years. That way you won't mix incompatible parts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom