98 LC needs engine replaced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to go look at a 1998 LC and the owner says that is has valve damage and needs a new engine. From everything I've read, the 2UZ out of a Tundra will work fine. I'm wondering if anyone has done this swap and can shed some light on the differences (if there are any) of the Tundra 2UZ and the LC/LX 2UZ.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure it will work. It may be that the long block would fit, but most all of the attachments (steering, exhaust, etc.) are different. I'm not sure the mounts are even in the same place.

I don't know if a Tundra motor could be made to work but the 100s going to the wreckers are mostly going with good engines.

If you did a complete replacement it might be the first on the board that wasn't some sort of diesel swap.

What caused the valve damage? Broken timing belt? I havent heard of one of these engines wearing out as of yet...

????? different block

Uh oh,
one of the main reasons why i purchased a 100 was because i thought the blocks were all the same?
Am I wrong??
in 5-10 years when my engine gives up, am i gonna be looking for 100 series specific block???, wont be able to get a good used tundra, 4runner or sequouia one???

The Tundra motor is US made and has the "i-Force" designation. The LC motor is Japanese made. There are many differences between them - cast vs. forged for example. As for the motor mounts, accessory items, etc. being the same place, I don't know that anyone's compared them.

I bought an LC based on reliability and durability, not based on engine replacement. Buying a vehicle with planned engine replacement in mind is Ford or Chevy talk.

Uh oh,
one of the main reasons why i purchased a 100 was because i thought the blocks were all the same?
Am I wrong??
in 5-10 years when my engine gives up, am i gonna be looking for 100 series specific block???, wont be able to get a good used tundra, 4runner or sequouia one???

If the engine in your 100 wears out in 5-10 years, then you didnt very good care of it. If you follow Toyota's maintenance recommendations and use OEM parts, you should get at least 300K miles before even needing a rebuild.

Like Trunk said, engine replacement after 10 years is Big 3 talk......not Toyota talk.

I remember another thread about this and Slee responded that a Tundra engine will work fine with minor adjustments. You may want to call him for more details.

98 and 99 lc or lx 470 are the only drop in fit. A tundra through 4/2000 still needs oil pan and some brackets changed. Ebery thing else requires starting at the long block cost prohitive. plenty of lc and lx 470 on car parts.com to pick from, from coast to coast

If the engine in your 100 wears out in 5-10 years, then you didnt very good care of it. If you follow Toyota's maintenance recommendations and use OEM parts, you should get at least 300K miles before even needing a rebuild.

Like Trunk said, engine replacement after 10 years is Big 3 talk......not Toyota talk.

Although i am also not a fan of the big 3 i have to say our dodge 3500 cummins turbo diesel 4x4 has been a good truck

Although i am also not a fan of the big 3 i have to say our dodge 3500 cummins turbo diesel 4x4 has been a good truck

Cummins diesels are an expection, I have to admit. Those engines do not die

Actually the newer Cummins suck for reliability. Look down at the water pump on a new on and see the made in China stamped in it. They have to pay the UAW salaries so they have to cut corners somewhere.

Back to the topic at hand, the cams are different between all of them too LC, Sequoia, and Tundra. The Sequoia has the most aggressive cam and produces more hp.

Someyhing i've been thinking about when my 2UZ wears out. Has anybody done a 3UR swap into a 100? Does Mr T make a japanese version of the 3UR or is this an exclusively American made engine? Would be nice to get beefier rods on a 3URFE, TRD supercharge it and have a 505 HP 100. What are your thoughts? :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Someyhing i've been thinking about when my 2UZ wears out. Has anybody done a 3UR swap into a 100? Does Mr T make a japanese version of the 3UR or is this an exclusively American made engine? Would be nice to get beefier rods on a 3URFE, TRD supercharge it and have a 505 HP 100. What are your thoughts? :grinpimp::grinpimp:

There are japanese made 3UR engines....they build them in japan for the 200 series. The Tundra and Sequoia get US made ones. To my knowledge no one has done a 3UR swap into a 100. Doing the swap would also require a tranny swap, the A343 and A750 cant handle a 3UR

I would be interested in the same swap since the 1hd-fte is not available. I heard there maybe a width issue.

pman and trunk monkey?

I must be feeling feisty....
But you dorks, Toyotas due need to be rebuilt if you drive them.
Nothing lasts forever and money is not free last time I checked.

My first toyota was a 93 xcab 167k sold it
Second was 1985 4runner 185k sold it
97 fzj 80 with 245K in driveway for sale $3900
and now a 2000 uzj100

how many 300k mile 100s are out there right now anyway?
probably not very many.

I purchased the 100 mainly because it costs a ton of money to RnR my engine on my 80 and I dont have the time and knowledge to rebuild the 4.5 liter.

When i started getting price quotes for the 80 i was saddened to hear that the costs would in reality be at minimum $7k for a rebuild. I looked for a good used motor, have you ever tried to find used landcruiser parts, not that easy and i live really close to a bunch of wrecking yards.

So spending at min $ 7000 does not make sense to me when i just purchased a 2000 with 120k for $12k.

So i was hoping that in 5-10 years when i will hopefully have over 250k miles on my new to me cruiser that a good used engine option is available, in the event my motor cant make it past 300k miles.

Enough of my rant.

There are japanese made 3UR engines

As far as I know, this is incorrect.

JDM does not get the 3UR but gets the 1UR which is a 4.6L V8 petrol engine.

All 3UR engines are made in the US and then transported to Japan where they put them into LC200's for export.

The 3UR was designed with the US and the Middle East in mind.

Last edited:
Never heard of a motor blowing that didn't have a problem with an oil filter leaking and draining the engine to empty. Never heard of one being rebuilt either and there are 12 yr old trucks out there and lots with well over 200k miles.

There was a guy (or someone posted about a guy recently) that was selling one in Germany that had over 500k on it with the original non-rebuilt motor.

Mine has 165k now. I think the motor will outlast the rest of the truck, and maybe me :grinpimp:

There was a guy on here a while ago that had 311K miles on his 100, with only basic maintenance. There was also another one seen on ebay with 320K+ miles. Also important to remember is that the 100s represented on here are a small percentage of the 100s out there.

Our point is not that Toyota's dont need to be rebuilt, any engine does eventually need to be rebuilt. However, Toyota engines usually last a lot longer than most other engines if you maintain them.

There was a thread somewhere in here a while ago about how these engines are designed and built. Toyota has a spec that says these engines should last for atleast 300k miles on average before needing a rebuild, or something along those lines.

Beno,
If thats true, then that is very lame.....guess ill be keeping the 100s that much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom