1998 Landcruiser Tundra 2UZFE swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm very happy to have found this site. Great source of info no doubt! I just purchased a TLC 100 from a lady that said the motor was ruined. It was running rough and had no compression in cylinders 1, 2, and 5. I pulled the heads and found a bolt lodged in #5 exhaust valve port. Pistons/bores are good. It turns out the shop that replaced the starter she brough it to lost a bolt down the intake. Anyway, I'm looking for a complete motor rather than paying $1000 + for a top end job.... It's got 109K on the clock.

My question is, What 2UZFE variants will fit in this 1998 LC? I have called numerous yards that say only 98-00 LC/LX. A reputable source has told me 98-05 (non-Vvti) Tundra motors will fit and work. I see a lot of motors on ebay for decent prices and would like to swap a newer unit (low miles) if possible. Any idea folks? :confused:

I'm not an expert. I'm new to the 100s. But I believe the Sequoia and Tundra V8s use a different Cam. Maybe it would be possible to swap one of those motors in and use the computer out of it? I'm sure you will find somebody who will know. I bet Will Carrol would know, I'm not sure what his username is on MUD though. Maybe do a search for him?

Tundra / Landcruiser 2UZFE differences

Interesting. I wonder what Toyota did with the cam timing? I could swap cams but I'd rather not crack it open... :doh:

$1000 top end job to get the current motor running doesn't sound bad to me and would save a lot of hassle that comes from trying to do some sort of novel swap.

100k is low miles on the 2UZJ. It should still give you plenty of service.

2UZFE Tundra/LC swap

With headset I'm looking at $1300 or so minimum. I've found a few Tundra motors on ebay for 12-1500, w/ around 35K on them. Actually depending on how close the Tundra motor is to the LC, a swap may be easier. Again it all depends on how close these motors are. I may need to pick the brains at the yota stealership...;p

I'm not an expert. I'm new to the 100s. But I believe the Sequoia and Tundra V8s use a different Cam. Maybe it would be possible to swap one of those motors in and use the computer out of it? I'm sure you will find somebody who will know. I bet Will Carrol would know, I'm not sure what his username is on MUD though. Maybe do a search for him?

Will will know and he is onesprung60 on here.

I would try finding a used Land Cruiser engine. There are not a lot of market for it so I price should be reasonable also
The one from Tundra seems to have more problem. Off course they sell a lot more Tundra compared to Land Cruiser so the statistic might be a bit off.

2UZFE Tundra/LC swap

The landcruiser motors are way overpriced. Something like 1500.00 more on average. The dealer checked and it's a different p/n. Gotta keep on searching. Thanks for your input though.

tundra motors are built here in the states i believe. They suck and have way more problems then the motors put in the 100s over in japan.

tundra motors are built here in the states i believe. They suck and have way more problems then the motors put in the 100s over in japan.

Not the early Tundras. The early Tundra motors were made in Japan along with the cruiser motors. It did change eventually, in '02 or '03 maybe?

My buddy that was the service manager for a Toyota dealership said there are subtle mounting bracket differences on the two motors. But again, he's not 100% sure. At this point I may have to reconsider using the current motor and just get the heads rebuilt. The machinist I'm bringing the heads to does the Toyota dealer heads (at less $$ then I previously thought), and if these are good heads I will just bolt them back on. My concern is that I have some oil in the intake manifold, so blow-by is a worry.

This problem all started when a shop dropped a bolt down the intake when replacing the starter. The bolt never made i t's way to a combustion chambers because it was too big to get past the valves. It did however get kicked up over, and down other intake runners and bent a few other valves. I'm thinking the valve seals lost contact at this point and caused the compression to push the oil in the cam area into the intake manifold. Who nows.... the tail pipe is clean so hopefully I'll be good.

So really you only need one head?

If that was the case I'd just look for a used head of similar mileage in the boneyards. There has to be a motor that has a good head somewher that had other damage. Buying just the head would probably be a lot cheaper and a lot easier to ship and ton less labor.

Eric V.

Basically any vehicle with today's emissions controls is going to have oil in the intake manifold. The crankcase ventilation systems put an oily vapor back into the intake tract and over time, you get oily deposits. Combine that with the EGR system and you end up with black sooty oily deposits :).

If I were you, I'd get a top end rebuild gasket kit, and get the heads worked at a machine shop. 109K is nothing on these motors.

rich

Yeah I guess the oil in the intake spooked me. The bores look cherry and have no ridge so I think I'll go the valve job route. Actually the bolt is currently pinched between an intake valve and the seat. I didn't see any damage to the head, but i will need to replace some valves on both heads due to the screw. Can't wait to get her running. I'll clean up the piston tops and wait for the heads to come back. Need to check for exhaust manifold cracks as well.;)

I picked it up for 5k. It's all stock with some funky chromed 16 toyota wheels. I need to start on it once I get it going and make sure nothing else is wrong with it. I need to get it a little higher and louder to keep the wife out of it. She hates my other car (Chevy LT1 swapped Volvo:cool:) so she gets the Trooper to beat on.

I picked it up for 5k. It's all stock with some funky chromed 16 toyota wheels. I need to start on it once I get it going and make sure nothing else is wrong with it. I need to get it a little higher and louder to keep the wife out of it. She hates my other car (Chevy LT1 swapped Volvo:cool:) so she gets the Trooper to beat on.
How did this thing ever turn out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom