2L-TE to 3 liter KZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a KZ swap into there 2L-TE equipped Prados as an alternative to redoing the head.

Anyone know if this is engine is more durable.

I dunno, just putting it out there, seems like a viable alternative to putting all that head work into the 2L-TE and then having the same problem over again. Other than maybe certain electrics, what would be different in swaping the two.

Or are you better off just waiting till the 1993 model becomes available. Is the Kz capable of higher boost applications.

Love to hear peoples thoughts,

Has anyone done a KZ swap into there 2L-TE equipped Prados as an alternative to redoing the head.

Anyone know if this is engine is more durable.

I dunno, just putting it out there, seems like a viable alternative to putting all that head work into the 2L-TE and then having the same problem over again. Other than maybe certain electrics, what would be different in swaping the two.

Or are you better off just waiting till the 1993 model becomes available. Is the Kz capable of higher boost applications.

Love to hear peoples thoughts,

Its a bit more durable than th 2LTE but the australian experience is that most of them need the alloy head done before 200000klms.
My brothers company Prado died at 180000klms and the head cost $2000+ to fix/replace.
I have anecdotal evidence of a few more as well
I think by increasing the boost the lifespan of the head will go down

I think it will also depend on which 1KZ you use.

Here in Kenya guys do that all the time- even to their Surfs/4runners (which is a lot more work obviiously). I'm sure it uses more fuel, but definitley a more reliable engine from what I've heard. There is a 4runner site based in the UK and I think that has a guy who sells the "new" head as I recall- its about 600 pounds so $1000+ but they have tons of info on the 2lt engine. I will look for the link and post it. One thing to remember is that having all the electronics create a whole new set of problems.

John

I had that done recently. My LJ78's 2LTE engine needed an overhaul. The cost was a lot more than getting a 1KZTE from an engine importer. So that's the route i took. Based on my experience now, I think it uses up just as much as my old engine. I'm from the Philippines and here it cost me the equivalent of US$1600 for the engine and the cost to have it installed by the importer. They used the 1KZ's bell housing to match it with my LJ78's original transmission. I'm also using the old filter canister of my 2LTE engine.

So far it's performing better now that it has the 1KZ i it. No more clouds of white smoke too.

It was that easy hey, just a different bell housing and away you go.
I'm surprised that more people haven't went that route, rather than spending ungodly amounts on a band-aid job of replacing the head only to have it overheat again and again.

If, and I guess when my head goes and I still have my Prado, that will be the route I'll go.

I think it should be our responsibilty as 2L-TE owners to inform any new people that have head issues, that this option is out there, in order to fix their problems as well as give the LJ78 the power that it is lacking.

Just a thought,

Ryan

I'm surprised that more people haven't went that route, rather than spending ungodly amounts on a band-aid job of replacing the head only to have it overheat again and again.

If, and I guess when my head goes and I still have my Prado, that will be the route I'll go.

I think it should be our responsibilty as 2L-TE owners to inform any new people that have head issues, that this option is out there, in order to fix their problems as well as give the LJ78 the power that it is lacking.

Just a thought,

Ryan

I think whats stops people from doing 1KZ TE swaps into their 78 is a lack of 1KZ TE engines on the used market

Just a thought,

Ryan

$1500 (at the outside) would hardly be considered an ungodly amount to replace a head. In fact, it's relatively cheap. Swapping in a 1KZ-TE would cost at least $5000 when all is said and done - probably more. While it is certainly an option, I doubt most would choose to go that route given the price and the difficulty in sourcing the engine and parts for it, at least in NA.

For what it's worth, I have yet to hear of a replacement 2L-TE head packing it in prematurely. Sure, it's not a speed demon, but if power is what you're after, why drive a land cruiser.

Anyway, for those looking to put a 1KZ-TE into a 78 or Hilux, Jarco is bringing in half-cuts. That would probably be the way to go. If my 2L-TE needed a rebuild, I would look seriously at replacing with a 1KZ, but short of that, I'd stick with the 2L-TE.

I would seriously look into getting a 1KZ. I had an LJ-78 and drove for many years without a problem. I have driven a couple of my friends KZJ-78s and man I here to tell you the 1KZ blows the door off the 2L-TE for power and performance.

Durability? I honestly couldn't tell you. I can say that it looks like Toyota took a bit longer of engineering investment in the 1KZ.

I have seen half cuts for say on ebay. The starting bid was $4,000 and it was in North Carolina if I recall correctly. They are pretty hard to come by too.

Here are a couple pics to drool at.

Randy
1KZ-TE.JPG
1KZ-TE 2.JPG
1KZ-TE TB.JPG

KZ's use arseloads more fuel.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on them. They put them in Hilux Surf's down here and they are PIGS on fuel.

Uhh, yes, the 1KZ-TE uses more fuel than the 2L-TE. So what? The K a better engine and I get almost exactly the same mileage from it as I get from my 3B-equipped cruisers. More powerful than the 3B and same economy. What's the downside again?

My Prado - 3 door - 1990 - 200 K on the clock is having heating issues, friends here on the forum helped me a lot but I believe the HEAD is the culprit and also on the highway the 2LTE is lacking power but still no complaints as we love the jeep but maybe it is time to look into the 1 KZ engine. I have the auto version of the 2LTE and looking for the same, I have read that people are complaining about the electrics and that is what is keeping me away how much 'Electrics' are there and as they are the most difficult to troubleshoot, How much money am I looking @ for a JDM clip in North America

Also which VERSION of the 1KZ is the most TROUBLE FREE

Also which VERSION of the 1KZ is the most TROUBLE FREE

I was probably a bit rough on the 1KZ 12 years ago. They seem to be a reasonably durable engine, just look after the head. The later ones have an aluminium core with plastic tanks for a radiator, they can be a bit leaky. Anyway, there are plenty in Australia with 350000klms but I doubt they will outlast the other diesels like the B, H and 1HZ etc.
A lot of them have fuel pump problems more than head problems.
I would get a 1KZ T or 1KZ TE if you want to sort out the electronics.
But the other problem is that most of them will have high klms being at least 20+ years

KZ's use arseloads more fuel.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on them. They put them in Hilux Surf's down here and they are PIGS on fuel.

They use more fuel than the 2L-T because you're driving faster. Efficiency wise those two are about the same.
Head cracking wise, the 1KZ seemed to stop doing that in the early 2000's.

The 1KD is more efficient and uses less. Building a mechanical 1KD from a 1KZ can be done, but it's a project in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom