2H starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, it takes a bunch of hammer whacks to get my 2H starter to enage...

Stupid Q: will the gear-reduction starter motor from a 3FE work as a substitute?

Smarter Q: If not, can someone please provide a link to where I would buy a 2H starter rebuild kit (I presume I need a new plunger and contacts).

Ebay Australia has them all the time. Otherwise take it to a auto electrician they would have parts, bushes etc. Toyota Forklift trucks had 2H motors also.

Hope that helps.

PS> I pulled one apart, cleaned it, greased it, put it back together and its still working.

Yeah, I think sitting with no bonnet for a couple of months allowed some rust in the starter...
I'm going to open it and clean the plunger and contacts. If thgat doesn't work, I'll install the new plunger and contacts I just ordered from Radd, in Vancouver, which they got from a Wilson Elec. Supply, who regularly carry Nippondenso parts...

Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, update:

I replaced the contacts and plunger about 6 months ago, and had great starter operation. Then it started acting up, and I got used to having to beat the crap out of it with to get it to engage. After I got sick of that action, I decided to bite the bullet, pulled it, opened it up, visually inspected it, cleaned it (it wasn't too dirty), hit the contacts and business end of the plunger with a dremmel wire wheel to freshen up the surfaces, patched it back together, reinstalled it and ran it with no problems for close to a month. Yay (not so fast)!

Now it is acting up again.

Symptom: click, click, click...will not engage when I turn the key. If I sit there and keep trying, sometimes it eventually does engage and start the truck up. Sometimes it takes 5 key turns, sometimes 50. When it doesn't, I hop out and have somebody else turn the key quickly and repeatedly (when somebody is available to help, including my 5-year old daughter), while I whack at the starter with my lug nut wrench. This does the job, but even that sometimes takes a minute or so. When nobody is around, I go back and forth, whacking, then trying, whacking, then trying, until it works. SHEER JOY when the weather is 90+ and I am in the parking lot of a busy store, looking like a damn idiot, dripping sweat, and running late.

The starter has NEVER ONCE been stuck on (no whirring, no noises). When it engages and fires up the truck, as soon as I release the key, it stops, as it should.

I did buy replacement brushes from Neil (RooDogs4WDSpares), but did not install them because it looks like a 5 banana job with my total ignorance on this. That and the brushes look perfectly fine and don't look like they need replacing. My grounds are good, and my alternator's voltage output seems fine. I have no known electrical system issues, my battery stays nicely charged, my glow system works perfectly...

So what's going on?

One random thought: The rubber drain nipple coming out of the starter...it is gone. This can't be it...
The felt washer, it's gone too. Also, the first time I took the starter apart, a small, flat square metal tab (maybe 5mm x 5mm, 1 mm thick) fell out, and I can't seem to find where it goes. The fact that the starter works a bunch (if not most) of the time, and worked flawlessly for over a month or so indicates that these things are largely irrelevant...I suppose...

OK, update:

I replaced the contacts and plunger about 6 months ago, and had great starter operation. Then it started acting up, and I got used to having to beat the crap out of it with to get it to engage. After I got sick of that action, I decided to bite the bullet, pulled it, opened it up, visually inspected it, cleaned it (it wasn't too dirty), hit the contacts and business end of the plunger with a dremmel wire wheel to freshen up the surfaces, patched it back together, reinstalled it and ran it with no problems for close to a month. Yay (not so fast)!

Now it is acting up again.

Symptom: click, click, click...will not engage when I turn the key. If I sit there and keep trying, sometimes it eventually does engage and start the truck up. Sometimes it takes 5 key turns, sometimes 50. When it doesn't, I hop out and have somebody else turn the key quickly and repeatedly (when somebody is available to help, including my 5-year old daughter), while I whack at the starter with my lug nut wrench. This does the job, but even that sometimes takes a minute or so. When nobody is around, I go back and forth, whacking, then trying, whacking, then trying, until it works. SHEER JOY when the weather is 90+ and I am in the parking lot of a busy store, looking like a damn idiot, dripping sweat, and running late.

The starter has NEVER ONCE been stuck on (no whirring, no noises). When it engages and fires up the truck, as soon as I release the key, it stops, as it should.

I did buy replacement brushes from Neil (RooDogs4WDSpares), but did not install them because it looks like a 5 banana job with my total ignorance on this. That and the brushes look perfectly fine and don't look like they need replacing. My grounds are good, and my alternator's voltage output seems fine. I have no known electrical system issues, my battery stays nicely charged, my glow system works perfectly...

So what's going on?

One random thought: The rubber drain nipple coming out of the starter...it is gone. This can't be it...
The felt washer, it's gone too. Also, the first time I took the starter apart, a small, flat square metal tab (maybe 5mm x 5mm, 1 mm thick) fell out, and I can't seem to find where it goes. The fact that the starter works a bunch (if not most) of the time, and worked flawlessly for over a month or so indicates that these things are largely irrelevant...I suppose...

My starter has done the EXACT same thing at least three times in the last few months. Sometimes just holding the key in Start for a few seconds is all it needs, but once I had to get out and beat on it a bit.

As you say, I can't quite imagine how the contacts are to blame for this given that its not "sticking on".
:meh:

Could be something wrong with the "pull coil" that leaves just the "hold-coil" working.

MaybefaultyPull.jpg

This would certainly lead to a "weak pull-in".

:cheers:

Just and idea.......
MaybefaultyPull.jpg

Holy crap, you just made me have an aneurysm. WTF am I supposed to do with this info (though I appreciate the attempt at help)?

Holy crap, you just made me have an aneurysm. WTF am I supposed to do with this info (though I appreciate the attempt at help)?

Well. .......... If you took things apart and had surplus watzits falling on the floor - maybe they had something to do with "the connection of the pull-in coil". But I wouldn't have a clue whether they really do or not (from the other side of the world here).

:hmm: .......................Carry on as you were. ;)

12 or 24v?

Pictures and today's attempt at humor...

Update. I had such great success with my a/c I was feeling confident, and pulled (yet again) my starter. I can get the 15 mm nut (top) and bolt (bottom) and the 15 mm power cable nut and the connector off in record time now...

Ok, now for some "this thread sucks without pictures" remedy:

The previously mentioned little square metal do-hickey that fell out of my starter when I replaced the plunger and contacts, still out, still of unknown function and proper location, still undepicted in any exploded diagram of any starter I have ever seen or heard of:
P1010065.jpg

In case you are an Über-nerd, here's a closer up picture of the seemingly meaningless but surely essential part which currently serves as the source of my entire life's angst (please do not steal my palm print and use it in your next robbery/murder/act of mayhem):
P1010066.jpg

"Dirty", slightly oxidized plunger contact surface:
P1010070.jpg

After I hit it (like yo mama) with a dremmel wire brush:
P1010071.jpg

Same of the contacts, before:
P1010075.jpg

And after:
P1010076.jpg

Brushes, well-worn (one is much more worn than the rest..insert "yo mama's so loose" joke"), but still making excellent contact:
P1010080.jpg

The replacement brushes, which I am too cowardly to attempt to solder in. when I finally give up with the starter, I'll hand them over to the real man who will rebuild this starter once and for all (well, at least another 200,000 miles).
P1010078.jpg

The "binness" end of the starter, whose teeth are a little whacked, (like yo mama's), but not so bad that they don't function well.
P1010082.jpg

Oh I neglected to mention, since I took these pictures and reinstalled the starter, I got excellent first-attempt starts, but now I hear the much-discussed "whirrrrrr" when I let the key go for about 2-3 seconds.

Am I going to die? I mean soon. Presumably something is not disengaging as quickly as it is supposed to.

Oh, after I reinstalled this starter, I did some reading and maybe I should not have wiped out most of the goop in there, which was, as I know now, dielectric grease. There are still traces of it in there, hopefully enough to prevent the starter from liquefying and leaving a molten mess on my lawn.

Last edited:
Called my local auto electrical repair shop (who has a stellar reputation)...

$90 to rebuild my starter and fully evaluate my vehicle's electrical system (glow, alternator, battery, etc.). :bounce:

I've been away from the computer/Internet for 8 days and arrived back home last night.

As soon as I saw your "square metal do-hickey" I recognised it as being familiar.

It is "the protrusion" used to correctly locate/mate the stator of the drive-motor with the alloy casting and it is ESSENTIAL.

That motor has high power-output. (Mine is 2.5kW!) And the same toque that is applied to the rotor is also applied to the stator - but in the reverse direction.

So that "do-hickey" is also there to stop the stator from turning as a result of this torque.

:cheers:

PS. This proves that photos aren't just good for enjoyment. They often trigger useful responses. (And I hope you'll see this reply as one of those.)

See Fig 8-50 here (Sorry it isn't clearer but it should suffice.):

Protrusion8-50.jpg
Protrusion8-50.jpg

That is AWESOME! OK, now where'd that diagram come from, it isn't in my FSM. What you posted is amazing info, but the diagram is as clear as the name of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom