2H starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bumping in gear or whacking with the hammer probably just moves one gear or the other enough so they slide and engage. A voltage drop from the relay or a weak pull coil both could cause not enough pressure on the gear teeth to allow them to slide past each other and engage. If the pull is marginal, any burs on the gear teeth would make the problem worse. I would suspect that cleaning up the teeth will help for a while and mask the other problem. Ditto on the idea of bypassing the relay to test the engagement first.

PS: Is it Rodgers Truck in Gainesville? I have a few relatives in FL and that is someone they have mentioned.

Last edited:
Problem solved.

Voltage at the starter: 7. Put a new relay and kick it back up prior to reaching the starter: 12-14.

Stater is fine, wiring is fine, original relay is fine (I think?), but something (too many connections?) was causing a voltage drop between the battery and the starter. Now that it gets ample juice, ZING!

Problem solved.

Voltage at the starter: 7. Put a new relay and kick it back up prior to reaching the starter: 12-14.

Stater is fine, wiring is fine, original relay is fine (I think?), but something (too many connections?) was causing a voltage drop between the battery and the starter. Now that it gets ample juice, ZING!

Tofu - can you give me a ref # and/or source for that relay? Was it an upgrade (like door locks and power windows) or just a replacement of the original?

UPDATE: Interesting fix on another site Starter relay - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation may not be applicable.

Last edited:
From post 6 your troubles sound exactly like the one I have. The issue for me is a shoddy ground wire for the starter, doesn't always get enough contact/slow to start. Maybe your ground is good, but it's definitely something to check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom