2f reverse firing order? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so this is a new fj an im going through everything when i seen the firing order was backwards, it was in the correct order but its setup as if number 1 cylinder is at the firewall an six is at the radiator. confused to how this is even running i got the cylinder that is supposed to #1 (the one that is near the radiator) set it to tdc, reset the timing an hooked all the plug wires up the correct way they are supposed to be 1,5,3,6,2,4 starting at the radiator. go to start it up an does nothing, just cranks over, no effort to start at all. hook the wires up backwards again, (starting at the firewall) an it starts right up. now i have no idea whats going on at this point, i have never seen something do this ever.

here is a picture of the distributor, the hose that goes for to the vacuum advance also has no vacuum at all an not totally sure why.

any info on this would be a big help.

photo.jpg

Its not backwards. Its just 180 out.

your cap is labeled right. youre distributor rotor is not at 1 on the cap at TDC compression stroke. its at TDC compression stroke at 6 on the cap

two options: leave as is.
or remove dist, turn rotor 180 and reinsert and re time.

Its not backwards. Its just 180 out.

your cap is labeled right. youre distributor rotor is not at 1 on the cap at TDC compression stroke. its at TDC compression stroke at 6 on the cap

two options: leave as is.
or remove dist, turn rotor 180 and reinsert and re time.

Exactly.

Yep, ran one for a year like that until I got the time to switch it. Ran the same either way.

Where does the other end of the vacuum hose connect? It should connect to a vacuum port on the carb. You may need to cap the other port on the distributor too. It'll have more vacuum at higher revs. The vacuum hose also looks too short and is probably closed to the dist because of the tight bend.
I'd leave the distributor where it is, I don't think you will get it to go 180 before you have clearance issues with the block. I don't think it is a stock distributor and is turned that way because it won't fit the other way. Renumber the cap to correspond with the cylinders as you have it wired.
W-

There arent clearance issues, since the shaft and rotor are turned 180, and the housing, cap and vac advance canister stay the same. appears to be an OEM toyota FJ60 distributor, or late Fj40...

Where does the other end of the vacuum hose connect? It should connect to a vacuum port on the carb. You may need to cap the other port on the distributor too. It'll have more vacuum at higher revs. The vacuum hose also looks too short and is probably closed to the dist because of the tight bend.
I'd leave the distributor where it is, I don't think you will get it to go 180 before you have clearance issues with the block. I don't think it is a stock distributor and is turned that way because it won't fit the other way. Renumber the cap to correspond with the cylinders as you have it wired.
W-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom