Reverse switch blowing fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed I would blow a fuse when I would put my 1973FJ40 into reverse. Fuel gauge, the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge must all be on the same circuit. Only when I would put the stick shift into reverse. Clearly the reverse switch is bad right and sharing a fuse with said gauges?

The problem would be anywhere between the switch and the back up lights.

The problem would be anywhere between the switch and the back up lights.
I forgot to mention one thing that’s relatively important. With the battery at 50%, enough juice to turn the engine over, it would stall the engine, even though I have the reverse switch unplugged can anybody make sense of this? Perhaps a short and the reverse wiring going back to the light?

I forgot to mention one thing that’s relatively important. With the battery at 50%, enough juice to turn the engine over, it would stall the engine, even though I have the reverse switch unplugged can anybody make sense of this? Perhaps a short and the reverse wiring going back to the light?
*As I put it in reverse

*As I put it in reverse
I’ve had the exact same issue, except it happened maybe 75% of the time. I searched for the gremlins going back to that switch and discovered a pair of wires that were melted and frayed. I fixed those, and as soon as I did putting it in reverse immediately blew the fuse. So I just disconnected one of the wires to the reverse switch and problem solved. I figured I don’t really need to backup lights to tell me I’m in reverse, and I’ll continue to search for the problem. I suspect it’s in the rear light harness on the passenger side (the passenger turn signal is on that same circuit and would work intermittently, for some reason the driver side turn signal is on a different circuit).

Sounds like a short in / near your tail lights - take a look at the wiring going into them.
Watch out for the insulation worn through on a sharp edge.

Regarding the engine stalling - you say the reverse switch was unplugged - if its unplugged then it has no electrical effect - are you sure you unplugged the right switch?
It stalls and blows the fuse? Probably pulls down the coil voltage briefly.

The reverse switch is a two pin switch on top/left of the gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom