9/69 No reverse light switch- (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I have a 9/69 US FJ40 with a 3 speed transmission that has been converted by the po to floor shift.
Everything works as it should however there is no place that I can find for a reverse light switch.
As you can see in the picture it doesn’t even have a boss for the switch.
I can’t even find this same top cover for a 3 speed.

IMG_2021.jpeg
IMG_2019.jpeg

Any idea where a factory reverse switch can be installed or do I need a regular/ normal 3 speed top cover.
I can feel all of the top cover but nowhere for a switch.
Any help is appreciated.
I see only 2 locations for a 3 speed, steering column switch and floor switch on shifter boss.
Thanks,
Eric

Without seeing pictures of the top cover and transmission there is nothing that can be determined.

As requested.
I have no clue but I’m sure it won’t take long

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

I would just put a switch on the dash for the back up light. Illuminated ones are very handy for not leaving it on. I stuck a much brighter LED on mine too. I like being able to see where I'm backing.

Hello,
I have a 9/69 US FJ40 with a 3 speed transmission that has been converted by the po to floor shift.
Everything works as it should however there is no place that I can find for a reverse light switch.

View attachment 3576950View attachment 3576951
Any idea where a factory reverse switch can be installed or do I need a regular/ normal 3 speed top cover.
Any help is appreciated.
I see only 2 locations for a 3 speed, steering column switch and floor switch on shifter boss.
Thanks,
Eric
I think you would need a top cover from a stock 1971 to 74 3 on the floor to get a port for the reverse switch. Yours was originally above the steering box along with the 3 on the tree linkage.

I have this extra top plate if you are interested.
IMG_8089.jpeg

I went down the crazy column shift rabbit hole so floor shift is not happening for me. :)

I just haven’t seen a top cover for a 3 speed floor shift without the fitting??
Guess I’m gonna swap out the top covers.
Thanks Guys

Toyota started the reverse light tun 9/67. Floor shift was always used somewhere. Would think going back that far it would have the casting for the reverse light switch. Three speed was used until 10/82. Pretty sure column shift ended 9/72 in all markets but not 100% sure. So vast majority of covers would have that casting.

Hello,

View attachment 3576950View attachment 3576951
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

this is the oem toyota J30 3-speed floor shift tower ....
1710067583219.png

I think you would need a top cover from a stock 1971 to 74 3 on the floor to get a port for the reverse switch. Yours was originally above the steering box along with the 3 on the tree linkage.
This is possibly why I have no reverse light. I’ll have to dig a little deeper next time I have a minute (my 02/69 was floor shift swapped somewhere along the way before my time with it began).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom