2F oil pump in an F?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by atoyot, Mar 1, 2004.

1. atoyot

atoyot

My 9/73' fj40 F oil pump went out. Can I put a later 2F pump in there without modifications? There was a good write up on oil pumps in the trails sometime back but I can't find it. Any advice? This failure caused my #6 rod bearing to fail so I also have to replace that. What would be a reputable replacement? TPI, MAF, coolcruisers? It looks like MAF has good prices. :-\

2. jim45r

jim45r

I remember seeing a post related to that too (here or birfield.com?), but I don't think it could be done without mods. The 2F pump has a regulator built in, so I think the external regulator on the F gets bypassed or disabled, and there might be someother passage drilled and/or plugged. The stock setup sends 1/2 the oil back through without filtering. I'm just assembling my F after new rings and bearings, and am contemplating the same thing. I don't like the idea of sparkly oil getting recirculated through the nice new bearings. I'll be watching this thread, too!

3. jim45r

jim45r

4. atoyot

atoyot

yeah...I think I will just go with a replacement stock F pump. :) That was a little over my head.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.