2F high pro engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm strictly Toyota, not interested in V-8 conversions. Just preference. Anybody have any knowledge of the "Mosley" High pro 2F engines? And what is the best high pro engine out there for fj60's? Just wanting to get a bit more HP and Mileage out of mine? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Adventure Off-Road in Boulder (now Longmont) did a saaaaah-Weeet build on my 2F. decked, polished, ported, cammed, all kinds of stuff. it's GREAT. Honestly, he'd be better to talk with on how to build it right. I know enough to get you in trouble. :)

The general 'hot rod' motor is what @CardinalFJ60 said, bigger valves from a small block chevy, 3/5/7 angle valve job, cam regrind, port/polish, port match, deck the head and of course adding fuel injection. See everything that all the inline 6 chevy guys are doing and you would do the same with a 2F. Any competent machine shop will have the capability to build a fun little 2F, just requires expertise. There's also Martin Davidsons in California who have been doing 2Fs for ages I understand.

Most don't hot rod these things as the general idea is, the closer to stock, the easier and longer you can generally maintain these things. Now that new OEM parts are nearly gone and hard to come by for the motor...I'm sure more hot rod motors will appear.

The general 'hot rod' motor is what @CardinalFJ60 said, bigger valves from a small block chevy, 3/5/7 angle valve job, cam regrind, port/polish, port match, deck the head and of course adding fuel injection. See everything that all the inline 6 chevy guys are doing and you would do the same with a 2F. Any competent machine shop will have the capability to build a fun little 2F, just requires expertise. There's also Martin Davidsons in California who have been doing 2Fs for ages I understand.

Most don't hot rod these things as the general idea is, the closer to stock, the easier and longer you can generally maintain these things. Now that new OEM parts are nearly gone and hard to come by for the motor...I'm sure more hot rod motors will appear.
Adventure Off-Road in Boulder (now Longmont) did a saaaaah-Weeet build on my 2F. decked, polished, ported, cammed, all kinds of stuff. it's GREAT. Honestly, he'd be better to talk with on how to build it right. I know enough to get you in trouble. :)
What kind of mileage did you get after rebuild? Any more HP?

How about the 1FZ-FE?

Though the 2FE is the period engine that should have been....I think the 1FZ-FE is the engine that would make a nicely balanced 60.

1605048225636.png

I say keep the 2F stock or buy a newer land cruiser (80 or 100 series). A caressed 2F can never be the engine your want it to be

100% unreal what the performance of these motors give. Total game changer.

I have 3 different Mosley builds.

One full cop motor. 4.4, special head, ground cam. It’s amazing. Propels my 6000# FJ55 like a scalded hog.

One is 4.4 bore, special head, stock cam. Propels my 5300# FJ60 great. Not quite the power of the full cop motor. Close.

The latest is a 9:1 head on a stock 3FE with 5 speed. Once I get it going right I’ll be able to compare.

See my signature for all the build info.

It’s only got 4 mains, and rods are looooong and heavy. Having a hi-po 2f, I’ll say isn’t something I’d do again. You’ll get way more reliability, drive ability, and economy from fuel injection on a stock block. My dos centavos

It’s only got 4 mains, and rods are looooong and heavy. Having a hi-po 2f, I’ll say isn’t something I’d do again. You’ll get way more reliability, drive ability, and economy from fuel injection on a stock block. My dos centavos
So your saying you’re not getting as good gas mileage with the Hi Pro 2F as you would get with a stock 2F fuel injected?

When I had my 2F rebuilt I also did not want a 'Hi-Po' type engine. I opted for stock compression and stock cam so I could run Regular gas and I was more interested in durability than squeezing every pony out of it. I did get a large overbore, though. The mandatory use of premium gas over regular will wipe out any saving you expect from increased gas mileage, if any. I currently run crap Kalif AQMD blend 87 (So. Cal Air Quality Management District) with stock 7* advance and no pinging ever. All smog intact and functional.

Engine runs great. Mileage sucks, but what do you expect? It's a heavy brick with 33" tires. Still the carbureted engine. Can't legally do FI here in Kalif, yet, if ever.

I just finished about 1000mi trip and averaged about 10mpg. i've got well over 40k on the rebuild...and keep in mind that was doing 70-80 on the highway, wheeling, etc....in fully laden 60 (front bumper, winch, rear bumper, 3 cans of fuel, fridge, RTT, ARB drawers, too much gear, awning, etc.) it's heavy. without RTT and loaded with gear it's waaay better. before i added all that stuff, I'd get 13ish and it actually had power (for a 60). I say my current setup when loaded feels like a stock 60.

I toyed with the idea of 2fe but stuck with more original setup for a good balnce of performance and longevity. Robbie's work is top notch.

I have one non built 2F with Sniper that gets 14-15 and both the other built 2F with Sniper get 12.5-14

I don’t think a light 40 series “needs” the built motor as bad as the 55 and 60 but man, it’s legit in one.

This is the first Mosley Motors “Cop” motor on a drag race versus my Project Patina with a fresh stock 2F, DUI and JimC carb.

Just adding TBI EFI to my '78 FJ40 transformed it. It is just flat-out more responsive (and likely more powerful) and way more fun to drive. It pulls harder and faster in every gear.

The rest of the engine is stock, except for a .030 head shave that did nothing to bump my compression. If you want to stay stock, EFI is what you need (from one vendor or another).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom