27F AGM battery option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. Can you go 24hours without starting the vehicle? I killed my Interstate battery recently by listening to my radio with the engine off for an hour so I think I am due for a replacement. I think I am going to buy some type of power pack either way to carry when I have the fridge hooked up. The Interstate is a third of the price but I want to be sure I can go 24 hours without any issues.

We use our fridge equipped LX470 is used for travel to Mexico as we are leaving in an hour. I does sit overnight frequently (~12hrs) without issue. With that said I have never gone 24hrs. A lot variabilities goes into battery demand when running a fridge. How full, what is in the fridge, outside temp, inside the vehicle temp, ventilation, and the set temp on the fridge. With that said YMMV and I also carry and recommend a jump box for safety.

I’m looking at the Duracell 31 DTMAGM, 800 CCA 200min reserve, sells at Sams club for 179.82. Terminals are on the correct side but more towards the middle of the battery vs. the edge. I do like the dual terminals for the extra accessories. Trying to see about working around the battery tray upgrade which adds another $120, terminal mods shouldn’t be a big deal but will most likely need to fab my own bracket. Anyone else install one of these?

Last edited:
I’m looking at the Duracell 31 DTMAGM, 800 CCA 200min reserve, sells at Sams club for 179.82. Terminals are on the correct side but more towards the middle of the battery vs. the edge. I do like the dual terminals for the extra accessories. Trying to see about working around the battery tray upgrade which adds another $120, terminal mods shouldn’t be a big deal but will most likely need to fab my own bracket. Anyone else install one of these?

I have one in my 80 series went with battery plus IIRC they had a better warranty

I have one in my 80 series went with battery plus IIRC they had a better warranty
I see it in the black case 31 but not the gray, the one at Sams (grey case 31 AGM DTM) has a 200min reserve and 800 cca as opposed to 700. I couldn’t find the same exact one but thanks for the site info!

Last edited:
I just purchased the Batteries Plus X2 27F online. I have not picked it up yet. I just wanted to let everyone know they are showing a $30 mail in rebate on top of the 10% off they normally do. It will still be around $290 after all discounts but it is probably as good of a deal as you will find.

Hey @Hayes can we get an update? I see you gave us one approx 1 year ago on page 2. In the market and your 2.5 year mark review will probably swing me.

Thanks,
rjones

I need a new battery also, my RC sucks now, if i leave the lights on or radio on for more than 10 minutes the truck won't start. Want to try AGM but might just get a cheap starting battery and then a nice deep cycle AGM as auxiliary battery.

BTW i thought AGMs were supposed to be lighter, feels the same to me, heavy as hell.

From my experience AGMs tend to be heavier? I think a typical lead acid Group 31M weighs about 50 lbs (SLI31MDC - Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle Battery for Deep Cycle BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs), but the same sized in AGM is 70 lbs (SLI31AGMDPM - X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for Deep Cycle BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs).

I've been super happy with my Group 65 DHP AGM (Odyssey rebadging) and Group 65 Energizer AGM, but I do periodically hook them up to the AGM battery tender. I know they often use a metal casing (on the Odyssey) at least that make them heavier. I also have an alternator voltage booster that pushes my charging voltage higher closer to 14.7 or so.

Lithium Ion would be way lighter (30 lbs) but way way more expensive like in the 2.5-3k range (I kid you not).
Group 31 Lithium Deep Cycle Battery - Intensity i31D Save up to 50lb! - Newegg.com

This is a little off the topic but might be of interest.

Up until recently Sam's Club's Energizer brand battery was not available in 27F. That just changed, and they are now stocking 27F in the clubs for just under $100 (install is free to members). This is not an AGM battery, but the CCA's come in at over 800. I have had pretty good luck with batteries I have purchased there. I believe the warranty is 36 mos full replacement..

I'm not sure about prices now, I purchased a 27F TrueStart (not the cheaper True2) for $99 a year or two ago for my 4Runner. The True 2 was $79 I believe. In my region, these are rebadged Interstate Mega-Tron Plus (for the TrueStart) and Mega-Tron II (for the True2).

I've been running the X2Power 27F battery for a couple of years now. It's my starting battery and I also run my accessories off it, including an ARB fridge. When the battery was new, it would keep the fridge going through the entire weekend. Today, the battery won't last overnight with the fridge running, not enough juice left to crank the engine.

I'm not convinced that our 100 series charging systems are capable of properly maintaining an AGM. I don't think my truck is able to keep it topped off. I even put a diode in the alternator voltage sense circuit to boost charging voltage by 0.5V. Even after a couple hour drive, I can put a charger on it and it still takes several hours to reach 100%.

All that being said, I think these batteries are great auxiliary batteries, especially when used with a dedicated charging system, then you'll get maximum life out of it.

I've been running the X2Power 27F battery for a couple of years now. It's my starting battery and I also run my accessories off it, including an ARB fridge. When the battery was new, it would keep the fridge going through the entire weekend. Today, the battery won't last overnight with the fridge running, not enough juice left to crank the engine.

I'm not convinced that our 100 series charging systems are capable of properly maintaining an AGM. I don't think my truck is able to keep it topped off. I even put a diode in the alternator voltage sense circuit to boost charging voltage by 0.5V. Even after a couple hour drive, I can put a charger on it and it still takes several hours to reach 100%.

All that being said, I think these batteries are great auxiliary batteries, especially when used with a dedicated charging system, then you'll get maximum life out of it.
I have had the same one for less than a year. So far I am very happy with it. The battery offers a 5 year replacement. Have you contacted Batteries Plus?

I’ve had a Northstar 27f for about a year and a half and it’s still running like new. I sometimes leave my ARB fridge running for a day or 2 in between driving in the 100* south gaeorgia heat(who knows how hot it gets in the vehicle) and the battery still spins the motor like a top. It’s only been 1.5 years but I’ve been very impressed so far.

Hey @Hayes can we get an update? I see you gave us one approx 1 year ago on page 2. In the market and your 2.5 year mark review will probably swing me.

Thanks,
rjones

(Not Hayes, but...) I installed one of the X2Power 27F batteries into my son's TLC 3/2/15 (~3.5 years), and one in my LX 12/2016 (not quite 2 years).

My son did some stupid s***, while off at college this past year, that drained his battery flat multiple times (~4 times). None of these incidents were the fault of the battery, they were my son leaving something turned on, while the car was parked 5-7 days. Each time a jump start from a "jump pack" got it started, and the alternator got it charged back to full, with no apparent damage to the battery when he returned home for the summer, and I was able to test.

I have been very pleased with these batteries. They seem to perform better than the DHP or Optima batteries that I have tried. They appear to have most of the performance of the DHPG31M, without the fitment complications, and without the alleged charging issues of the DHPG31M. They also carry a "full replacement warranty" (60 months, if I remember correctly), instead of the typical "pro-rated" warranty. The only minor complaints I can think of are:

1. They are pricey.
  2. They can be hard to find "in stock".
  3. I don't like how the bracket fits over the handle.
  4. They are heavy SOBs.

I did get to try the warranty on the battery for my LX, the battery was "bad" on delivery. I returned the battery, but they didn't have another X2Power in the right size, so they provided a "free 27F loaner" for a week until they could receive the proper replacement. I was a little disappointed about the bad battery, but I thought that they did everything they could do to make it right.

I shouldn't have to worry about buying a new battery for a while, but I'd have no problem purchasing another one of these, if I were to add a "new" LC/LX in our house, and am very grateful for @Hayes pointing these out.

Last edited:

My X2Power 27F battery is doing the same thing after 2 years. I am going to stop by Batteries Plus this week and see what they say.

My X2Power 27F battery is doing the same thing after 2 years. I am going to stop by Batteries Plus this week and see what they say.
Can you post a report on what Batteries Plus tells you?

For everyone that had a problem with their X2 batteries, did you guys/gals let the alternator keep the battery charged or did you also use a battery tender?

UPDATE: Went to Batteries Plus today and had them check the battery. Everything was good. It was fully charged. They also took it out and did a load test. Battery checked out like a new one.

@RootMeanSqr : So now I'm not sure why the fridge is draining the battery so quickly. Used to get 2 days with no problem and now it can't even run overnight..

UPDATE: Went to Batteries Plus today and had them check the battery. Everything was good. It was fully charged. They also took it out and did a load test. Battery checked out like a new one. So now I'm not sure why the fridge is draining the battery so quickly. Used to get 2 days with no problem and now it can't even run overnight..

I wonder though does 12-13 Volts charged and a load test really check the Amp Hours of a battery? So by their test Yes it would pass to provide the rated CCA to start and run your rig but wouldn't only some sort of longevity test confirm it still meets the stated Amp Hour rating? Or am I wrong about that? Do they directly correlate? (I'm no electrical engineer, just mainly a software guy)

Maybe the Amp Hour rating isn't even covered in the warranty fine print?

Cheers,
rjones

This last year I’ve had issues with the alternator not charging properly. Replaced the alternator and my X2Power was not cranking at all like it used too. Even after charging it up out of the truck it never was the same. Batteries Plus swapped mine out but required me to let them test the battery for 24hrs. Results showed that the battery failed and they replaced it but told me if it happens again they won’t replace it because they batteries never go bad. Yes I’m in South Florida, so the customer service is sh...

I will say this, no matter how weak the battery was, it cranked the truck up time and time again. I’ve never had a battery so dead able to start a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom