2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame they de-tune the motor, there is a reason it is more reliable... I bet if they unleash the hp the Toyota TTV-6 reliability would come way down.
I have the 2019 TTV6 that is in the Raptor and 450hp and 510 lb-ft. I'm extremely concerned about this motor lasting very long but it will never be high mileage and damn it's fun to drive.
Even the LX is 409 hp and 479 lb-ft. It's kind of hard to compare the two as Ford designed theirs to get a lot more out of it while Toyota is taking the safe boring route they know so well.
Funny as I have a YotaWerx tune for my 2UZ-FE and a VF Tuner sitting here at my desk for my 2UZ-FE :). I'm counteracting my previous posts, but if it takes the reliability down from 500,000 miles to 400,000 miles that is fine as my GX will rust out before that.

If the 3.5TT is like Toyota's other motors it will be choked by a crazy-restrictive exhaust system that can be fixed without tuning it. Hopefully the 3.5TTV6 will actually be tunable, compared to my UZ 's ECU which took aftermarket tuners 15 years to finally crack.

Funny as I have a YotaWerx tune for my 2UZ-FE and a VF Tuner sitting here at my desk for my 2UZ-FE :). I'm counteracting my previous posts, but if it takes the reliability down from 500,000 miles to 400,000 miles that is fine as my GX will rust out before that.

If the 3.5TT is like Toyota's other motors it will be choked by a crazy-restrictive exhaust system that can be fixed without tuning it. Hopefully the 3.5TTV6 will actually be tunable, compared to my UZ 's ECU which took aftermarket tuners 15 years to finally crack.
There have been some under skirt shorts comparing the LX to the GX. There is a huge difference in the exhaust size. That was the first thing I noticed. That's probably their biggest challenge but it is the same Chassis so one would think it would be easy to swap them out. My F-150 exhaust is huge, there is no way they could push that much air through this motor no mater what you do, unless you want some very low hanging pipes. The upside is they look to be running them below everything so it is possible.
I hope they bring the hybrid to the V6 and the GX. De-tuned or not, it would be a fun setup to drive. Lx700 is showing 500hp and 600lb-ft. De tuned that would take it about where my Limited is.

New video I have yet to see. Showing exterior and interior colors and features. No idea what market or where they pulled this info from but gives you ideas on colors on the interior and exterior for different looks.

Man i'm not a hybrid hater.. But godamnnnnn that diesel would have been cool.

Toyota must know that if any US Buyers would go for diesel, they would be LC enthusiasts, so no better place to test the waters again than with the 250.

There have been some under skirt shorts comparing the LX to the GX. There is a huge difference in the exhaust size. That was the first thing I noticed. That's probably their biggest challenge but it is the same Chassis so one would think it would be easy to swap them out. My F-150 exhaust is huge, there is no way they could push that much air through this motor no mater what you do, unless you want some very low hanging pipes. The upside is they look to be running them below everything so it is possible.
I hope they bring the hybrid to the V6 and the GX. De-tuned or not, it would be a fun setup to drive. Lx700 is showing 500hp and 600lb-ft. De tuned that would take it about where my Limited is.
I don't think you'll get big power out of Toyota's ttv6. It's the opposite of Ford's design. Ford's TTv6 is a wide bore short stroke engine built for high rpm power. Toyota uses a narrow bore long stroke with offset cyl banks for max low rpm power. It's closer to a diesel design than it is to Ford's 3.5EB. The Toyota design would struggle to reach into the rpm range you'd need to see big HP gains. And it uses Toyota in-house turbos that are not easily replaced with something else. If the 8AR is any guide - the turbos run out of breath pretty quick when you tune beyond the OEM tune. The info I've seen from tuners is that the higher RPM scroll still only effectively spins up boost well to around 6k rpms and it runs out of turbo. Assuming Toyota generally did the same with the TTV6 and looking at the general design - I don't think it'll ever be a big power engine. Wrong design and wrong turbos.

Maybe someone will go crazy and punch it out, shorten the stroke, modify or make custom turbos, and then get big power gains. But that seems like a lot of work. But I can see a tune that just removes the torque cap and you'll have pretty nice mid rpm power bump. I can't imagine the TTv6 not having adequate power for comfortable cruising as-is. But the curve looks like there's maybe another 30-50hp through the mid range that's available. Might be nice if you're running big tires or towing regularly.

What happened with this? It did not end up being either model I saw.

View attachment 3392010
"Other markets with different engine options will be getting a distinct 4WD system compared to the US model. I've seen this setup on Toyota Europe's media website.

In Western Europe, they will receive the 2.8-liter 4-cylinder Turbo Diesel with 204 HP (din) and 369 lb-ft of torque, featuring a maximum towing rating of 7716 lbs. Later, a 48v mild hybrid version of this engine will follow.

The available 4WD modes are as follows:

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 18.55.32.png

H4F: High Speed/High Range, free
H4L: High Speed/High Range, locked
L4L: Low Speed/Low Range, locked

As you can see, the center differential will lock automatically depending on the 4WD mode, which is why you don't see a center differential lock button like on the US model.

Euro-spec diesel LC-250 interior:

2024landcruiserfirstedition-001 (1).jpg

2024landcruiserfirstedition-003 (1).jpg

Press release Toyota Europe: Going back to its origins: World premiere of the all-new Toyota Land Cruiser - https://newsroom.toyota.eu/going-back-to-its-origins-world-premiere-of-the-all-new-toyota-land-cruiser/

Last edited:
Man i'm not a hybrid hater.. But godamnnnnn that diesel would have been cool.

Toyota must know that if any US Buyers would go for diesel, they would be LC enthusiasts, so no better place to test the waters again than with the 250.
Toyota said maybe 8-10 years ago that to meet USA emissions rules it would add $8k to the price of a Tacoma. Not sure if that still holds. But they basic idea was that you'd never save enough fuel to make up the cost of the diesel engine. And it's slower and more expensive to maintain. And with USA emissions systems they would likely have a shorter service life. I think that's generally true now that modern EGR+DEF diesels tend to have shorter lives in light trucks. So, it doesn't make any sense to sell with the added costs and shorter lifespan.

For the foreign markets with no EGR or DEF systems, then the diesel probably makes a lot more sense. Might even be cheaper to produce than the gas engine. The last one I drove was in a Fortuner. It was nice, quiet, and fuel efficient. But I don't think I'd want it on USA highways. It was also pretty anemic if you needed to get moving. It was perfectly suited for islands where the speeds never see more than 30 or 40mph though.

"Other markets with different engine options will be getting a distinct 4WD system compared to the US model. I've seen this setup on Toyota Europe's media website.

In Western Europe, they will receive the 2.8-liter 4-cylinder Turbo Diesel with 204 HP (din) and 369 lb-ft of torque, featuring a maximum towing rating of 7716 lbs. Later, a 48v mild hybrid version of this engine will follow.

The available 4WD modes are as follows:

View attachment 3392364
H4F: High Speed/High Range, free
H4L: High Speed/High Range, locked
L4L: Low Speed/Low Range, locked

As you can see, the center differential will lock automatically depending on the 4WD mode, which is why you don't see a center differential lock button like on the US model.

Euro-spec diesel LC-250 interior:

View attachment 3392359

View attachment 3392361
Press release Toyota Europe: Going back to its origins: World premiere of the all-new Toyota Land Cruiser - https://newsroom.toyota.eu/going-back-to-its-origins-world-premiere-of-the-all-new-toyota-land-cruiser/
I’ve seen some images with that system, where the locking center diff is integrated with the range selector. I’ve seen other images and videos where the center diff locking is controlled by a separate switch just ahead of the rear locker switch. I think it is going to be different in difficulty markets. We have to wait and see just what we get here in the US. If you watch the video in post 3323 above, you will the separate center locking switch.

Both have been shown with TOYO Open Country ATIII 265/70-18 so by pictures and videos, you can see the stance for each. No official detailed specs released or found and shown here anyway.
I think these tires are a true 32.6 diameter but Without a set of this size, hard to confirm how the TOYO'S actually measure. The 250 looks slightly higher with a stinkbug look in the rear but not sure if this GX picture is showing it at full height and the running boards of the GX may make it look lower.
That is the first picture I’ve seen of the First Edition. I don’t think it is mentioned in the press release, but it looks like it comes with proper A/Ts compared to the Michelin LTX on the Land Cruiser grade. I prefer the front of the mid-grade. Maybe the A/Ts will be available on the mid-grade as an a la carte option, along with some of the other goodies from the First Edition. I emailed my dealer, and there has been no accessory catalogue that has been made available yet.

If the TTV6 checks out major issues being limited to periodic turbo replacement AND the turbo change is relatively easy to do as a DIY and don't require pulling the motor or front clip, then I will be in! Unfortunately we aren't going to know this for a very long time. My GX will be nearing the end at that time. A Cummins turbodiesel (especially pre-emissions version) definitely falls into that category of a bulletproof forced injection motor that will need a turbo every now and then and can be DIY'd.

The attraction to a NA Toyota V8 is that 1) they don't have major issues and 2) the issues they do have (SAIS, starter, exhaust manifolds, timing belt change) are all 100% DIY-able. Perhaps I'll be in the mindset a decade from now to buy a new rig and not care if I beat it on the trail, but these are the reasons I'm in a GX and not a Jeep.

The turbo is mounted at the rear of the engine on the TTV6...not an easy turbo change.

Was it mentioned anywhere if AVS will be available on the LC250. It is available on the 2024 Tacoma, which is a lower cost vehicle.

New video I have yet to see. Showing exterior and interior colors and features. No idea what market or where they pulled this info from but gives you ideas on colors on the interior and exterior for different looks.

Some of these colors are photoshopped.
You won't get a green or purple interior lol

The size is an issue for me. I work in Cambridge MA and the parking garage at work is a bit tight. The larger turning circle of the Sequoia would be a pain. Also, I have gone off-road in CO a couple times and the extra length of the Sequoia would not help. My 200 is already bigger than I need.
The most amazing thing to me about the 21 Sequoia is its turning radius. Its nickname in my household is "the Bus" because of its size, but damned if that thing doesn't turn and park better than the VW GTI or Alltrack I used to drive. It's amazing how tight the turning circle is; the new one I have no clue about but the old gen almost defies physics with how tight the circle is for such a large vehicle.

Also Cambridge sucks to get around altogether - I hear you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom