2023 LandCruiser Round-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frismanis

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.shayahealth.com
My son and I drove the 55 to the Round up. 250 miles each way. We haven't driven it more than 50 miles since getting it 2.5 years ago, so this was a proper shake down. On the drive there we lost all charging about 50 miles from the event. Thought it was alternator, so found one in stock at a shop on the way, so picked it up but didn't install since we were only 10 miles from camp, and battery still had enough juice to make it to the finish line. Turns out it wasn't the alternator, but the external voltage regulator. Rob Tygart was in camp and came over to help wire a regulator bypass switch, so we were able to still take part in the Round Up. He also told us that we could easily install a 60-series internal regulated alternator to get rid of the external regulator. Once bypass was complete we charged the battery by driving back to the shop and returned the new alternator. Saved $100. Yay!

First day we drove easy trails to get a feel for the capability of the truck, and make sure the t-case and front wheels engaged. It worked great... maybe a little too well, because it made me over-confident for day 2. Poser shots from day 1...

IMG_9359.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 2. Let son drive, and I spotted. Made it through some semi-difficult spots to make sure he could handle driving the pig off-road with the 5 speed. He's driven my fj45 and fj40 at this park, but both of those have auto transmissions. He does great following the spotting directions. We came to a more difficult obstacle, and I figured we'd give it a try. We just about had it, but when the pig went to 45+* and all the weight transferred to the rear wheels the driveshaft couldn't handle the torque when the wheels went from sand to granite, and the shaft spun itself in half. The shaft was out of my FJ45, and it had been dented in our previous trips to the park. We called @Havis to help pull us backwards off the rocks. To make sure the front half of the shaft didn't pogo stick when we came down and end up damaging the output of the t-case we used a bungee cord to hold it up. When pulling the pig back the shaft ended up cutting the fuel line. Once on flat land we quickly did a field fix on the fuel line and pulled the 2 halfs of the shaft out, then drove back to camp in front wheel drive. Got back to camp, took wife's car and ran back to parts store from day 1 and bought new fuel line and filter. Nothing else to do but hang out in camp for the afternoon and wait for the event dinner and raffle. I struck out at the raffle, but son won a cool TEQ sign and some FJ40 door panels. Daughter won a box of goodies from Rusty Nail Racing , which included t-shirt, hat, and jacket that were only given to team members, and a personally signed photo of Rob Tygart. She was beyond excited to win and get the attention. Despite the broken shaft we had a wonderful day.

Sorry for the giant block of text. Here are a couple photos (I always forget to take pics, but my wife always has her camera at the ready)...

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 3 we packed up camp and drove the 250 miles home in front wheel drive. Long, slow drive. My wife drove separately from us, so she was our chase vehicle in case of any problems, but we made it home safe and sound. All in all it was another fun and successful Round-Up.

FullSizeRender (1).jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

What a Great weekend and I always have a Blast helping keep folks on the trail. We had so much fun and its Great to see your kids involved they are the next generation who will keep this Great hobby of our going. Shoot we next time we might be able to find some tube and do a trailbuild rear driveshaft ( Trust me I know LOL ) I did the same thing in 2012 my 1966 LV

378186_3082577657418_1735539658_n.jpg

393095_3082578017427_74162400_n.jpg

483877_3082578977451_1113323404_n.jpg

403826_3082576857398_855128147_n.jpg

The help with the voltage regulator already saved our weeekend!

As for the shaft, we got back to camp around 3:00pm on Saturday, so we didn't lose much trail time, and without a lathe to balance the driveshaft I would be worried about vibrations on the 6 hour drive home. I will get a proper one made for our next adventure. :cool:

The help with the voltage regulator already saved our weeekend!

As for the shaft, we got back to camp around 3:00pm on Saturday, so we didn't lose much trail time, and without a lathe to balance the driveshaft I would be worried about vibrations on the 6 hour drive home. I will get a proper one made for our next adventure. :cool:
For sure I had trailered mine. What a Awesome memory for your whole family.

Sounds like a rad trip!

Day 2. Let son drive, and I spotted. Made it through some semi-difficult spots to make sure he could handle driving the pig off-road with the 5 speed. He's driven my fj45 and fj40 at this park, but both of those have auto transmissions. He does great following the spotting directions. We came to a more difficult obstacle, and I figured we'd give it a try. We just about had it, but when the pig went to 45+* and all the weight transferred to the rear wheels the driveshaft couldn't handle the torque when the wheels went from sand to granite, and the shaft spun itself in half. The shaft was out of my FJ45, and it had been dented in our previous trips to the park. We called @Havis to help pull us backwards off the rocks. To make sure the front half of the shaft didn't pogo stick when we came down and end up damaging the output of the t-case we used a bungee cord to hold it up. When pulling the pig back the shaft ended up cutting the fuel line. Once on flat land we quickly did a field fix on the fuel line and pulled the 2 halfs of the shaft out, then drove back to camp in front wheel drive. Got back to camp, took wife's car and ran back to parts store from day 1 and bought new fuel line and filter. Nothing else to do but hang out in camp for the afternoon and wait for the event dinner and raffle. I struck out at the raffle, but son won a cool TEQ sign and some FJ40 door panels. Daughter won a box of goodies from Rusty Nail Racing , which included t-shirt, hat, and jacket that were only given to team members, and a personally signed photo of Rob Tygart. She was beyond excited to win and get the attention. Despite the broken shaft we had a wonderful day.

Sorry for the giant block of text. Here are a couple photos (I always forget to take pics, but my wife always has her camera at the ready)...

View attachment 3277627

View attachment 3277628

View attachment 3277629

View attachment 3277630

View attachment 3277631

View attachment 3277632
Sounds like the Round Up was action-packed for y'all!

What a Great weekend and I always have a Blast helping keep folks on the trail. We had so much fun and its Great to see your kids involved they are the next generation who will keep this Great hobby of our going. Shoot we next time we might be able to find some tube and do a trailbuild rear driveshaft ( Trust me I know LOL ) I did the same thing in 2012 my 1966 LV

View attachment 3277717

View attachment 3277718

View attachment 3277721

View attachment 3277722
Rob, seeing your 45 reminded me of when you came through the Black Hills for the Classic. You let my boy drive the 45.
He still has the t-shirt!
Good times...

Rob, seeing your 45 reminded me of when you came through the Black Hills for the Classic. You let my boy drive the 45.
He still has the t-shirt!
Good times...
I remember. That was Awesome driving circles around the campground.

I remember. That was Awesome driving circles around the campground.
Yep! That might have been his first time driving manual trans!
I can't remember if he drove my Pig before that, or after.
Either way, good times!

Rob Tygart was in camp and came over to help wire a regulator bypass switch, so we were able to still take part in the Round Up. He also told us that we could easily install a 60-series internal regulated alternator to get rid of the external regulator.

@frismanis or @landcrusher909 Care to elaborate on this a little further? I remember reading it and wanting to ask the specifics (on the regulator workaround AND 60 series upgrade) but forgot until now. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom