Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have eyed Truckvault for a very long time. I am one that usually builds my own storage with pretty good results. I just never get it to the level of quality that I wanted. So with this possible being the last truck I build I wanted what I felt was best for me.

Truckvault is a Washington based company with the west coast facility in Sedro-Wolley WA just an hour northeast of me. Their main customer is L/E, EMS, and military. Civilians are a small part of what they build. That being said they were open to a custom build of my design. My design is based of my daughters platform found here. https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/wayward_skye’s-third-gen-4-runner-build.5406/page-2

Truckvault had me up for a measure of the GX, we discussed ideas went to plans and I changed it. I wanted a bit more flexibility and removed a portion of the build and made the one drawer taller. We did a second fit and measure with all my gear and went forward. The build was complete and ready to go then the lock down came and slowed all forward momentum.

The idea behind this design was to afford a 72"+ sleep length and a 30"+ width at the torso. We nailed it with a 75.5" sleep length and 32" width at the torso. This is all on the right side of the storage area to compensate for the left side fuel tank and KDSS system weight. On the left side of the platform the floor is modular for the fridge, water tank and two Front Runner Wolf Pack storage boxes. The left side can be completely opened up to allow hauling tall items. The weight came in under the projected weight of 190 lbs to 160. I specified the high end lock as I wanted to secure my firearms when away from the vehicle without worry or a key.

With the drivers and passenger seats moved and tilted fully forward I can sit on the ledge of the platform remove my boots, undress and easily climb into my sleeping bag while the truck is running, dry, and warm. Once in bed simple reach up and push the start stop button.

Yesterday Truckvault spent 4 1/2 hours installing my platform. Cutting and fitting the wing panels to the contour of the interior. I couldn't be happier!

Today I was playing Tetris configuring the drawer dividers. The first set up is for camping and trail use the other is for when I want to bring along my long guns.

The final picture is the general layout of the modular storage area.

Note in the drawer my heavy hand tools reside in the forward part of the drawer so when closed they are forward of the rear axle. In front of that is a hatch that will hold recover rear and you can partial see the flip up head rest that is approximately 12".

Ill try to get better pictures of this if someone is interested.

Truckvault 1.jpg

TruckVault#2 (2).jpg

Truckvault #3 (3).jpg

Truckvault #4 (2).jpg

Truckvault # 6.jpg

That turned out nice but I don't expect anything less from them. I had a set of their drawers in one of my Super Duty's, it was a nice addition under the camper shell for tools, guns, etc. Do you think that they kept records of all of the dimensions, including the wings in order to reproduce it for sale to others going forward?

That turned out nice but I don't expect anything less from them. I had a set of their drawers in one of my Super Duty's, it was a nice addition under the camper shell for tools, guns, etc. Do you think that they kept records of all of the dimensions, including the wings in order to reproduce it for sale to others going forward?

They have this on a print under my name. I could send an email with the sale rep I worked with and you as a sort of introduction and then you could go forward. The wings were done at time of installation. In other words basically eye balling it. The installer Brian is pretty dang sharp!

We are camping next weekend and load anchors arrived for this weekends wrenching session. I installed six cargo pucks a three L tracks. The pucks are for lighter equipment like sleeping bags, ground tent and duffel bags. L track for heavy items like the Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes and Jerry can.

Fabricated some Safe Jack folding wheel chock storage brackets as well.

7A9CC559-C544-420D-967A-D9A6CD431019.jpeg

44B32AC9-BB6C-4276-82C1-720E62A703C7.jpeg

F85CC8C0-4BFF-4615-9879-4AAE0E83B0FB.jpeg

9DB15BE7-1745-4D92-B05A-BB3C9F688C56.jpeg

DA99823A-F887-4E72-B054-61C656CAE450.jpeg

Last edited:
Excuse the ignorance, but what are these things sitting in the brackets?

They are Safe Jack wheel chocks.

We use them for training with the H Lift Jack, failed hill climbs and manual transmission vehicles.

🤯

Never seen those before, but they look pretty nifty. And since they have lightening holes, it's only natural that brackets have them too.

They are Safe Jack wheel chocks.

We use them for training with the H Lift Jack, failed hill climbs and manual transmission vehicles.

I am excited to see the skids installed. I am looking forward to getting mine soon.

It was nice to get out last weekend and camp! I made Tacos Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning. My buddy cooked Halibut in the campfire coals Saturday night.
View attachment 2348585View attachment 2348586View attachment 2348587View attachment 2348588View attachment 2348589
AND THAT my friends is why we build our rigs! 👍 :)
Huge kudos to you and your friends for getting out and doing it! And the great pics!
Makes me want to drive up to our local mountains this weekend and do the same thing!

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Laid out my electrical control panel. The second or house battery will be mounted in the Truckvault forward hatch area. Mid ship center of the vehicle. It’ll be fully walled off and a lid to prevent recovery gear from damaging it. The control panel will be mounted on the right side at the passenger rear door.

0D6AC02A-D88D-49BE-A3DB-206933DD79FA.jpeg
36C4BD58-228D-439B-980A-605C5B7C3064.jpeg
D9A4133F-FBCE-47B7-B672-E96D3DF9D9A8.jpeg
6941E317-3588-4EF8-9C39-73CD59FA1F71.jpeg

The control panel will set up a bit higher than that location, of course carpet and painted to match the Truckvault. I need to fabricate a battery hold down clamp,1/8" 5000 series aluminum. The box pictured for the battery was for mock up purposes, Ill be building it from 3/4" birch ply carpeted exterior and painted interior.

The 100 watt Renogy fixed solar panel and start battery will feed the BCDC then to the house battery. From the house to a 150 amp breaker to the buss. From the buss it'll feed the sPOD and the aft fuse panel in the back. The fuse panel will feed the compressor and 6 other circuits that power the fridge, USB ports, task lights, water spigot and what ever else I decide to add.

I was able to start the install process of electrical over the long weekend. Started by carpeting and trimming the control panel with parts from Truckvault to match. Wired up the breakers and bus bar. Installed my tray for the NOCO dual battery trickle charger and Power Tray for the sPOD and breaker to the Redarc BCDC. The BCDC will take start battery and solar power to feed the house battery. The house battery will run to a 150 amp breaker then to the bus bar. From the bus it’ll feed the 50 amp breaker to the sPOD and the 100 amp breaker to the rear fuse panel.

873B2634-6087-4819-9F9D-1A58C683BE10.jpeg

62D238A1-61F3-438F-A202-214E5C01C2D3.jpeg

4FE49FAC-47F5-4F4D-945B-1BF8F0F765A6.jpeg

DFE53265-A6AE-43BD-98CC-A09DDE6BF055.jpeg

7F6FCFDA-965B-4E44-8CF3-B8289CB2AF92.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom