Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See pics of my Power Wagon with both at FWC and AT below. She was great truck, sometimes I wish I hadn't sold her then I remember what 10 mpg felt like lol.

PCAJS32.jpg

FWC = Four Wheel Camper

Re01SSc.jpg

AT Habitat = Adventure Trailers Habitat

GFC = Go Fast Camper

rNRAGJi.jpg

SX5EtqN.jpg

jyDwPyq.jpg

AT Habitat and GFC are very similar.

See pics of my Power Wagon with both at FWC and AT below. She was great truck, sometimes I wish I hadn't sold her then I remember what 10 mpg felt like lol.

PCAJS32.jpg

FWC = Four Wheel Camper

Re01SSc.jpg

AT Habitat = Adventure Trailers Habitat

GFC = Go Fast Camper

rNRAGJi.jpg

SX5EtqN.jpg

jyDwPyq.jpg

AT Habitat and GFC are very similar.
Q: why all the iterations of camping? Do you do reviews of products? It can't be cheap swapping out gear like that, not to mention the headache of dealing with selling the previous gear to purchase new stuff... Have to admit I do like that Adventure Up Overland RTT!

Back to our regularly scheduled program......

Made some progress this weekend with brackets for electrical and air compressor installation. Located fastener holes grinding and sanding the brackets I fabricated. Try to get everything wrapped up this week and off to powder coating.

6C0146CB-2FA5-4108-9562-8B99F6C71317.jpeg
21FC8088-6A83-4C96-9BD6-0C3F831CF52F.jpeg
DC06B526-04A2-48CD-94E6-B90461FDF219.jpeg
A016BF09-486C-4546-8911-D9E83A29E8A2.jpeg
67E0D243-957C-4E0A-A5B7-42D8AE45A359.jpeg

This tray I fabricated bolts in under the Power Tray and will hold my NOCO battery tender. This isn’t my daily driver so it can sit for a couple weeks at a time. What I found with my Taco is the batteries over time would go flat. A friend had been using the NOCO for some time with great results, he even had it plugged in down in AZ last year for three weeks. Thought I’d give it a try.

D4AC7FE4-1296-4F97-9E9B-8EEB811A3DA0.jpeg

7DC3E7C4-1831-4AD7-BE58-E27654612328.jpeg

Nice work! Looks like you have a small machine shop in your garage. You have a box & pan brake and mill? And obviously a TIG or at least an Argon shielded welder.
I'd like to get a box & pan brake and even a mini-multi mill but I'm terribly crunched for space in my one and a quarter sized garage.

Nice work! Looks like you have a small machine shop in your garage. You have a box & pan brake and mill? And obviously a TIG or at least an Argon shielded welder.
I'd like to get a box & pan brake and even a mini-multi mill but I'm terribly crunched for space in my one and a quarter sized garage.

I have access for all those tools through work and friends. The brake is the next tool to purchase though. I can lay it all out at home but have to wait for the work week to make the bends. Grizzly makes an inexpensive 24" brake for thinner material and a SWAG offroad brake for my 20 ton press.

Give us all a thorough review when you've had them in a while!

Give us all a thorough review when you've had them in a while!
Will do! In the past I’ve always built my own. Last one in the Taco was marine grade plywood, marine grade glue, stainless steel hardware where appropriate and industrial coating finish. Although it looked good and was durable my skill set just doesn’t quite get to the level I wanted. So we shall see if spending 3x as much gets me there.

Finished the tray yesterday. My NOCO dual battery charger will mount to this. I don’t drive the GX daily and wanted to keep the batteries in topped up condition and to have the ability to put the fridge in the truck the night before a trip with out drawing the battery. .125” 5000 series aluminum. I have a bunch of small items that need to go to powder coat next week.

40B91319-A31E-4CBC-80B6-DA22EFE84477.jpeg
F57FC0A7-7564-4CDD-99B1-DD4694DA7B9C.jpeg

Will do! In the past I’ve always built my own. Last one in the Taco was marine grade plywood, marine grade glue, stainless steel hardware where appropriate and industrial coating finish. Although it looked good and was durable my skill set just doesn’t quite get to the level I wanted. So we shall see if spending 3x as much gets me there.
Aside from skill set and how you may have liked it, it must have been very heavy with marine grade plywood and all!
I'm looking at using an aluminum pallet (yes, just like the wooden ones, but aluminum: Galvanized Steel Pallet - 48 x 48" H-7124 - Uline ) You can find them almost the exact width of the back of the GX, albeit longer, but nothing a sawzall can't correct.
The space where the forklift tangs go, I'll make drawers for and then mounting points to the GX base to secure it and some on top for the fridge, etc. and call it done!
Should be nice and light!

I have access for all those tools through work and friends. The brake is the next tool to purchase though. I can lay it all out at home but have to wait for the work week to make the bends. Grizzly makes an inexpensive 24" brake for thinner material and a SWAG offroad brake for my 20 ton press.
I've been looking at wanting to get a brake also, but to get something that will fit in my meager garage and yet able to bend material thicker than aluminum foil is difficult. There are some, but they can be expensive and for how often I'd use it, it's hard to justify the cost with the wife...

Aside from skill set and how you may have liked it, it must have been very heavy with marine grade plywood and all!
I'm looking at using an aluminum pallet (yes, just like the wooden ones, but aluminum: Galvanized Steel Pallet - 48 x 48" H-7124 - Uline ) You can find them almost the exact width of the back of the GX, albeit longer, but nothing a sawzall can't correct.
The space where the forklift tangs go, I'll make drawers for and then mounting points to the GX base to secure it and some on top for the fridge, etc. and call it done!
Should be nice and light!

The final version of my drawer system in my Taco was about 200 lbs. Not bad considering it was 74” long. 72” drawer. Worked quite well.

I‘m thinking the drawer in your pallet will be to small to be useful. Thinking you’d be better off with something else.

3F6235F3-68D5-42E7-91C3-8138700F8EB5.jpeg
4A20A06E-671C-496E-8F83-C05B259884F8.jpeg

I‘m thinking the drawer in your pallet will be to small to be useful. Thinking you’d be better off with something else.
Depends upon what is being loaded. For camping I have everything in one large Pelican case and all my galley gear in one large waterproof toolbox.
Load those in along with a chain saw and couple chairs and I'm on the road!
What I carry with me all the time and would go into the drawers would be IFAC, recovery gear and mechanics tools. Those are all low profile and would/should fit in drawers the height of a pallet opening.
Also, having the MOLLE rack system on my rear quarter windows, that provides me a lot of storage space keeping things off the deck. ;)

Nice! I've been considering having a goosegear system installed, but this looks like a great option (not to mention Goose Gear is impossible to schedule with). Do you mind sharing what type of pricing with install?

The pricing was a hard pill to swallow, 2900 installed with tax. I chose the high end lock as I will be locking up firearms in it. This is full custom of my design based off of what I built for my daughters 4Runner.

With that being said building your own with quality materials will set you back at least 1000.

Ill post up pictures once the install is complete.

The rear door pockets on the GX offer very little useful space for such a large door. Gleaning ideas from the rental Land Cruisers we had last fall in Namibia trying to utilize all space available and ease of use and access. We laid this out to most used items and how things fit. I drilled 1/4” holes and we used shock cord with knots on the back side of the panel.

C86482A2-8421-422E-9A6F-82745B3E6382.jpeg
A3EBE242-5D99-46D6-8BC4-C4FB7B6F7A33.jpeg
CF435FEF-882F-41E0-8B93-044E2AA0E01C.jpeg
21BBCA09-01BF-424B-A1B0-93F617DCF147.jpeg

I dig it, great idea using the shock cord to secure those items. I still have the factory tool panel in the left cubby but I am thinking about ditching that soon. On the right side I have a roll of shop towels, a roll of TP (comes in handy more often than you think when traveling rurally), a Hickory Stick tire club (not always for tires ;)) and a few trash bags and pairs of disposable gloves.

I dig it, great idea using the shock cord to secure those items. I still have the factory tool panel in the left cubby but I am thinking about ditching that soon. On the right side I have a roll of shop towels, a roll of TP (comes in handy more often than you think when traveling rurally), a Hickory Stick tire club (not always for tires ;)) and a few trash bags and pairs of disposable gloves.

I got that covered!

6A158811-3841-4F73-A5D8-21EA623AAB6A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom