2017 Toyota Landcruiser; Lifting with KDSS? Need some advice on wheel and tire fitment. Thx! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey group! Just joined the IH8MUD forum, love it! Used to be a Toyota Tundra guy and decided to buy an LC200. From the Houston area and look forward to meeting up with members to hit up some trails.

So check this out:
I use my LC200 as a daily as well as going to the ranch few times a month. I called American Wheel and Tire in here in Houston, Texas (they have lifted quite a few Tundra's and Taco's for me, as well as even working on an Land Rover Defender a couple years ago) I mentioned to them I wanted to lift the truck, with an even and more aggressive stance, i figured the way to go would be coil-overs, American wheel and tire said they WONT TOUCH IT, since it has KDSS, a lot of shops in Houston have NO idea what KDSS is, even called a few Toyota dealers. I called 4 Wheel Parts and another company who is pushing the ICON lift system. Any recommendations for someone that can lift the vehicle and not interfere with KDSS?

I want the vehicle to be lifted about 3" all around, and to be completely even/leveled. Any suggestions on lift kits, tire sizes.

I look forward to lift the Vehicle, along with a nice tire and wheel package as well as installing ARB front bumper, Side Steps, Roof Rack, ARB Compressor System and more...

Look forward to hearing your advice, comments and recommendations. Wanting to do a 3" All Around lift with ICON Stage 4 or Stage 5 Coilover with rear shocks. Not sure what size tires to put on, looking to do a 17" Method wheel. Maybe a 285/75/R17????

Thanks all!

If your avg joe (me) can figure out how to follow KDSS instructions and manage to install my own lift AND Tundra conversion, I'd think a shop should be able to. My guess it's the liability issue w/ a stuck/frozen KDSS valve, they just don't want to deal with it. I'm not in the Houston area so can't help w/ recommendations but plenty of guys on here in your area w/ lifts.

Edit: And congrats! You're going to love it.

Last edited:
Just some food for thought: I don't see the advantage of going through the hassle/expense of a 3" lift to run a 285/75R17 when you can slap on 285/70R17's with no lift and go 99% of the same places. Spend a fraction of the lift money on armor/sliders and you can go more places than a lifted 200 on ICONs with no armor on 285/75R17's.

This is all opinion of course but I would suggest short term you slap 285/70R17's on it, sliders, skids and have a blast before jumping headfirst into a lift and Stage 4/5 Icons. The 200 will do some pretty good trails with just upgraded tires. Give it some protection love and I would bet you would be shocked at where it can take you.

Don't want to sound like a downer on mods (as I am obviously not averse to modding see my sig!) but the best advice I ever got on vehicles was at my first track event when an instructor said the best thing you can do is use your vehicle to it's potential in stock form and then build it. You will have much more appreciation for the vehicle platform and the mods as you do them with that approach.

Go meet up with some other 200 owners on the trails after that and check out rides with ICON vs BP-51's etc. before investing $$$$ on suspension. You may not end up with ICONs as your preference...

Hey bud, another Houstonian here. Check out our local club page on Facebook to meet some local Cruiser junkies.

Also, @duggy here on mud has a shop, Duggy's Garage, that specializes in Land Cruisers and Toyotas. Give him a shout, he may be able to help you out.

duggy's garage

Richard

Just some food for thought: I don't see the advantage of going through the hassle/expense of a 3" lift to run a 285/75R17 when you can slap on 285/70R17's with no lift and go 99% of the same places. Spend a fraction of the lift money on armor/sliders and you can go more places than a lifted 200 on ICONs with no armor on 285/75R17's.

This is all opinion of course but I would suggest short term you slap 285/70R17's on it, sliders, skids and have a blast before jumping headfirst into a lift and Stage 4/5 Icons. The 200 will do some pretty good trails with just upgraded tires. Give it some protection love and I would bet you would be shocked at where it can take you.

Don't want to sound like a downer on mods (as I am obviously not averse to modding see my sig!) but the best advice I ever got on vehicles was at my first track event when an instructor said the best thing you can do is use your vehicle to it's potential in stock form and then build it. You will have much more appreciation for the vehicle platform and the mods as you do them with that approach.

Go meet up with some other 200 owners on the trails after that and check out rides with ICON vs BP-51's etc. before investing $$$$ on suspension. You may not end up with ICONs as your preference...

I could think of a lot of reasons that an extra 3" inches of lift, and a suspension that matches the weight of your vehicle (especially at load and if you want to add all that armor) would be way worth the hassle/expense. I ran stock for a while (w/ sliders only), and now about 5k miles w/ a 3" lift and I personally wouldn't recommend someone add all that weight to a stock setup.

And you're assuming the gentleman who just invested in a 2017 and already has big plans isn't going to spring for a lift AND armor. Why not both? And coming from a Tundra... lives in TX, gotta know your clientele!

I've spoken with Julio at Autobruder Houston several times. He knows all about KDSS and has posted before/after pics of 200's they lifted at their shop on Facebook. I haven't used them, yet, for anything on mine, but the communication I had with him was above average. They will do ICON or ARB.

I could think of a lot of reasons that an extra 3" inches of lift, and a suspension that matches the weight of your vehicle (especially at load and if you want to add all that armor) would be way worth the hassle/expense. I ran stock for a while (w/ sliders only), and now about 5k miles w/ a 3" lift and I personally wouldn't recommend someone add all that weight to a stock setup.

And you're assuming the gentleman who just invested in a 2017 and already has big plans isn't going to spring for a lift AND armor. Why not both? And coming from a Tundra... lives in TX, gotta know your clientele!

I've been down this road with plenty of vehicles and I stand by my opinion and again, it's just an opinion. I'm not asking for every 200 owner to try and justify why they built theirs nor am I saying that's wrong. I'm sure I'll be headed down that road sooner or later on our '16. I'm just trying to dissuade people from selling a platform short based on previous experiences with other unrelated vehicles.

Learning what a 200 is capable in stock form is in no way a disadvantage. It only makes sense to first get some seat time with it or ride shotgun with his local club and then spend the $5k plus. It's not like he's going to spontaneously combust on a trail with sliders/skids on a stock suspension. What you describe yourself as having done is exactly what I'm recommending OP to do in fact.

@sptxlc sent you a message. Give me a shout and we can discuss options for your rig.

I've spoken with Julio at Autobruder Houston several times. He knows all about KDSS and has posted before/after pics of 200's they lifted at their shop on Facebook. I haven't used them, yet, for anything on mine, but the communication I had with him was above average. They will do ICON or ARB.
I spoke with Julio, seems like a very passionate guy, and infatuated with Landcruisers!

Tabraha! Your LC is beautiful! What did you do to achieve such a beautiful car!

I've been down this road with plenty of vehicles and I stand by my opinion and again, it's just an opinion. I'm not asking for every 200 owner to try and justify why they built theirs nor am I saying that's wrong. I'm sure I'll be headed down that road sooner or later on our '16. I'm just trying to dissuade people from selling a platform short based on previous experiences with other unrelated vehicles.

Learning what a 200 is capable in stock form is in no way a disadvantage. It only makes sense to first get some seat time with it or ride shotgun with his local club and then spend the $5k plus. It's not like he's going to spontaneously combust on a trail with sliders/skids on a stock suspension. What you describe yourself as having done is exactly what I'm recommending OP to do in fact.
Mogwai, beautiful rides!

It all depends, I learned my lesson on a 900 HP E55 AMG, which was basically useless, I do agree, factory components are in some cases the best. But I did want to give my truck an aggressive stance as well, a lot of Land Cruisers in Houston, wanted to set mine apart.

It all depends, I learned my lesson on a 900 HP E55 AMG, which was basically useless, I do agree, factory components are in some cases the best. But I did want to give my truck an aggressive stance as well, a lot of Land Cruisers in Houston, wanted to set mine apart.

Nothing wrong with that! Bought my first 100 from NXCESS over on the SW Freeway when I lived in Houston. Brings back the good old days... When I was there in the early 2000's I had a couple different Porsches and ran Texas World Speedway and a few other places. There were a ton of nasty fast Supras that ran on the beltway back then around 3am every Friday and Saturday. Most of those boys have Lambos now. Love the Houston car scene.

It all depends, I learned my lesson on a 900 HP E55 AMG, which was basically useless,

How pray tell did you get 900hp out of a E55? Sent mine to straight Brabus and couldn't get anywhere near that?

I completely agree with your point but I'm guessing $5k isn't going to break his bank after he just spent 70-80k before tax and I'm assuming since he's in Houston and visits his "ranch", the man has got a couple bucks in his bank to burn. The LC sits low to begin with and needs some additional clearance, plus the stock suspension sucks...rides like a boat.

Last edited:
If your avg joe (me) can figure out how to follow KDSS instructions and manage to install my own lift AND Tundra conversion, I'd think a shop should be able to. My guess it's the liability issue w/ a stuck/frozen KDSS valve, they just don't want to deal with it. I'm not in the Houston area so can't help w/ recommendations but plenty of guys on here in your area w/ lifts.

Edit: And congrats! You're going to love it.
How pray tell did you get 900hp out of a E55? Sent mine to straight Brabus and couldn't get anywhere near that?
Twin turbo charged motor, Renn Tech & Motorwerks & Eurocharged and even Ted at MPower at the time helped me build with some Kleemann Components, it was a strenuous build, and I did it on a 2004 W211 with over 190K Miles lol! That was not RWHP, still high HP, but was not the most reliable car to own, since

Twin turbo charged motor, Renn Tech & Motorwerks & Eurocharged and even Ted at MPower at the time helped me build with some Kleemann Components, it was a strenuous build, and I did it on a 2004 W211 with over 190K Miles lol! That was not RWHP, still high HP, but was not the most reliable car to own, since the engine was too old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom