Builds 2015 Base Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always fun to play "who can actually drive in the snow vs who's TCS is constantly bailing them out".

I will say that the GX is unsurprisingly the easiest and most capable vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. I see how people with AWD/4WDs get themselves into trouble by forgetting that driving usually requires turning and stopping in addition to forward motion.
That is true and part of me looking at dedicated winter/snow tires is to fully realize that already great ability. In two years we plan on moving, and most of the places on our list will have a lot more snow.
Duratracs are GREAT winter tires. I live in north east ohio - we get a s*** LOAD of snow. I have run several sets of Duratracs, they are excellent in bad weather.
One of the scenarios I am kicking around is getting Duratracs on the stock rims as my winter tires, and Alex can run them in the summer on their 4Runner to have something they can off-road with. Then they can run a Blizzak or Nokian HP as their winter tire. They don't have near the winter driving experience and have been scared s***less a few times by snap over-steer in a car I used to own. That way it would be blizzard proof with the full-time 4wd.
Probably in a 265/70R18
0525221628a.jpg

Back on factory wheels with yokohama geolander all seasons with passenger sidewalls for the winter.

I am re-assessing things.

Back on factory wheels with yokohama geolander all seasons with passenger sidewalls for the winter.

I am re-assessing things.
What did you have before?

What did you have before?
Pretty extreme change in NVH going from Goodyear MT/Rs to Geolander HTs.

The MT/Rs are pretty sketch in packed snow and ice. While its comical if i dint have to be anywhere, its impractical for commuting, so i put the all seasons back on for the winter, which had been my plan all along.

Another issue was i thought my TPMS sensors were bad, and no I had multiple bad tire pressure gauges, so me thinking it rode way better was due to under inflated tires. Oops. 🤣 least i didnt go 70 in 4lo.

Dont get me wrong, i could still.easipy drive my GX 12 hours a day back to back and I have chronic pain issues along with a bad back from being a technician for too long.

I have offered the mud tires to my partner for their 4runner, though, so if they take me up I will probably get something that is a little quieter and smoother. Or just toss on the 33s for trips where I will be offroading. There isnt any offroading in Iowa that isnt just an abandoned pit mine.
All the trails i do are like 10 hours away, minimum, unfortunately. 😢

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
It was a lot of fun drifting with those MT/Rs though. When it did slide it did it in a very balanced fashion. I also like the way the back will briefly step out and then it naturally balances with a touch of turning into the slide before the traction control can intervene.

Pretty extreme change in NVH going from Goodyear MT/Rs to Geolander HTs.

The MT/Rs are pretty sketch in packed snow and ice. While its comical if i dint have to be anywhere, its impractical for commuting, so i put the all seasons back on for the winter, which had been my plan all along.

Another issue was i thought my TPMS sensors were bad, and no I had multiple bad tire pressure gauges, so me thinking it rode way better was due to under inflated tires. Oops. 🤣 least i didnt go 70 in 4lo.

Dont get me wrong, i could still.easipy drive my GX 12 hours a day back to back and I have chronic pain issues along with a bad back from being a technician for too long.

I have offered the mud tires to my partner for their 4runner, though, so if they take me up I will probably get something that is a little quieter and smoother. Or just toss on the 33s for trips where I will be offroading. There isnt any offroading in Iowa that isnt just an abandoned pit mine.
All the trails i do are like 10 hours away, minimum, unfortunately. 😢
Agree about the M/T's.
I had BFG M/T's and they're great tires and generally quiet until they get about half worn, but you're right that M/T's are not good for ice, hence I went with BFG A/T's what have a very good wet/snow/ice rating and still great on all other kinds of trails.

Ordered an Odyssey 24F for both the 4Runner and GX with one of the little modules that plugs in the fuse box. Also bought a couple of NOCO boosters

AGM conversion complete
Used voltage booster pro for compatibility with Odyssey battery.

20230318_164342.jpg

Rear is debadged. I used a badge from a camry as had been recommended in another thread.

Screenshot_20230318_170454_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20230318_154428~2.jpg

I have removed the two screws holding the front Lexus emblem in place and am awaiting a replacement Toyota emblem. I dropped both of the screws, so be aware.

20230318_164423~2.jpg

My voltages in torque pro after installing the voltage module and putting it to low

Screenshot_20230319_133730_Torque.jpg

I switched to the higher voltage for charging the Odyssey.

Put the MT/Rs on for the summer, running 40/37 PSI right now.

I am currently planning on doing a seat delete and am going to try to go a different route and use aluminum brite-tread. I think I am about ready to pull the trigger on the sheet metal.

I bought a 4'x4' piece of plywood sheeting to use as a mockup/prototype and potentially a backing for the aluminum Brite Tread which is what I am still
Leaning towards. All of the other materials I think would be cool are way too much for my budget.

There is also the possibility of retro-fitting a Xl dog kennel crate liner cause they are available in stainless and galvanized, so it just depends on how everything goes together. This was a rabbit hole I went down last night, they are around $90 for stainless with a 40" width, but they aren't as deep as I would want. I would want closer to 3'+ and its only 2.5'. Here

I also plan on layering dynomat to partially level the floor. Beyond that, I plan on keeping it as simple as possible and may have a bottom layer of metal to help stabilize everything and allow the tie down points something more structural to rest on, with the prototype plywood as a core.

Next step is taking out the seats, I'll post the requisite pics when I get that stuff done.

Got the third row out, next step will be cutting the plywood into a prototype the applying dynamat

16830743816185255746461957320563.jpg

16830744792803909511917776257506.jpg

Keep the pic's coming!

So in the middle of tearing it out my friend, who did a bunch of car stereo stuff in the Nineties, sends me this Dynamat carpet like product

So I am going to think on that because that could drastically simplify things, then I would just need to maybe put in some tie down points.

So in the middle of tearing it out my friend, who did a bunch of car stereo stuff in the Nineties, sends me this Dynamat carpet like product

So I am going to think on that because that could drastically simplify things, then I would just need to maybe put in some tie down points.
The only issue is: can you slide heavy things on it, like coolers/fridges, tool boxes, etc.?

The only issue is: can you slide heavy things on it, like coolers/fridges, tool boxes, etc.?
I would still use my husky liner, or something similar. Plus that way there are times when you don't want things to slide, so having that option would be a plus.

Did my SAIS filter conversion. Finally drove it without the rear seats in it and I may be rethinking my plans to an even more
Minimalist approach to keep
Weight down where I can. It feels a bit more like the 4Runner now.

This is how I ended up with a 2 seat GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom