Builds 2015 Base Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hiluxforever

SILVER Star
Threads
My build is pretty straightforward. I have aquired Bilstein 5100s that I have not installed yet as well as a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs in 33/10.5R17.

Message_1647386725622.jpg
They are basically the same size as a 255/80R17 which my first two choices were. One tire was on national backorder Yoko G003 MT and the other is no longer in production, the BFG KM2. My fourth choice was also out of stock.

I mounted them to FJ Cruiser steelies take offs. I got 5 for less than $400 with shipping and tax.
Screenshot_20220310-102316.png

I have already purchased hardware to pull back on the steps and swap the bolt head that rubs, I just need to install it and slide back my inner fenderwell inserts and redrill the holes.

I will take pics when I get that done

At this point I am looking at the Expedition One single swing arm rear bumper. I really like how it swings with the barn door. I have not seen one in person, though.

For the front bumper, I am leaning towards the ARB and making my own grill out of bulk grill material. I just don't like the beak.

I am torn on when I will throw on the new shoes, long story short, this has been a 2 year wait, so I am super excited. Just don't want to throw them on then get a blizzard and be SOL.

Don't forget a rack to mount those Maxtrax on! ;)
I like the tall skinny tires, it won't ruin your MPG as much nor should get as much rubbing on the inside of your wheel wells.
Did you purchase 4 or 5 of those steelies? If four, you may want to go back and get the fifth for your spare.

Don't forget a rack to mount those Maxtrax on! ;)
I like the tall skinny tires, it won't ruin your MPG as much nor should get as much rubbing on the inside of your wheel wells.
Did you purchase 4 or 5 of those steelies? If four, you may want to go back and get the fifth for your spare.
I purchased five, they only got four in as the fifth was coming from a different warehouse.

I plan on getting the LFD ruggedized cross bars for that and maybe a low profile case for lightweight recovery gear.

Reactions: r2m
I removed the bolt on the inside upper corner of the steps and ziptied back to the bottom mount with two long zipties. I crunched up in the front and did the same until I can get a more permanent solution.

As far as I can tell, at this point, there is no rubbing and any rubbing that does occur should be addressable with pushing back the inner fender liner.

I have seat jackers to install next.
0316222113_HDR.jpg

Looking very para-military/utilitarian with the black steelies. Just needs a matte vinyl wrap, maybe OD green, sand or your color in matte? 👍

Looking very para-military/utilitarian with the black steelies. Just needs a matte vinyl wrap, maybe OD green, sand or your color in matte? 👍
Thanks! Was definitely going with the utilitarian look. All function no form. Doing the opposite of what a lot of people do, with their negative offset wheels and excessive lift that limits articulation.

I might have to steal that look. I haven't seen a dark gray GX with black wheels that I have liked until this one.......👍
👍
Go for it! The wheels are pretty much new and were a great deal. They are the perfect offset for pizza cutters or stock sizes, and they weigh about 30 lbs each so a bit heavier but not a crazy amount.

I had noticed that one of the tires was installed differently than the others. I was oblivious during the install as I was focused on other things.

Upon closer inspection, 3 of the tires were inside out. Called Discount Tire and made an appointment to pick up the spare, which had come in, as well. Well, the spare was also inside out. They got me fixed up and with veteran discount I was out the door for about $1540, mounted and balanced, for all 5. (What I paid a week and a half ago)

On a side note, the tires are slightly quieter and ride incrementally smoother, now they are on properly.
0325221654_HDR~3.jpg

Looking good! I'm early in my 2015 build as well. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Currently running about 37-38 PSI. Getting about 15 in city and 17-17.5 highway if I avoid the loud pedal.

Going to up the pressure a bit more

Picked up some ARB skids from Slee while visiting in-laws in Golden. Just finished putting them on this morning. This is the first real wrenching I have done on my GX and I think it went really well. I would definitely appreciate the added room when I do lift it. I am not as svelte and contortable as I was on my early twenties.

On a side note, my partner is sold on the Wrangler MT/Rs for their 4Runner after driving around Denver and up in the mountains. This was when we wheel together we will have the same size tires and spares that are interchangeable.

For a pressure update, I am running 42-44 up front and 38 in the back. Going into a serious headwind my MPG was 14 ish, with a crosswind it was 17 ish and with a tailwind it was 19 ish.

My normal around town is between 14.5 and 16.

I am not as svelte and contortable as I was on my early twenties.
Funny thing about GX's, because they're more of an upscale vehicle (read: more expensive and comfortable), many (not all) of the folks who purchase them are well past their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond, so may I console you that you're not the only one! I myself am in the "beyond" category. :p

@Hiluxforever, I assume you installed your Bilsteins. What springs did you go with?
Not yet. I have been delaying to do it when I do a bumper. So still stock height with stock dampers. I may do the rears, myself, this summer.

Spent a bit of time with the liners and only using zipties I eliminated the rub and hope to have a steel bumper by next summer.

In the end I only plan on doing a small lift, so I wanted to make sure I didn't have issues rubbing at factory height.

man i love those steelies!!
Thanks! I really dig the look. No nonsense and the wheels are not that much heavier than the factory alloys.

I definitely like how they tuck up in the wheel well and I know if I had any more backspacing, they would rub almost everywhere.

With the ARB skids. If I can get it flexed up I might try to get some pictures of it, showing the tires tucked in the wheel wells.

0616221134.jpg

Not super flexed but slightly stuffed.

Second shot is looking up into the wheel well to show that I wasn't rubbing, my first real opportunity to safely flex it.

0616221726a.jpg

0616221726.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom