Builds 2012 Sequoia Limited Build in MN (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Were you able to find the Dobinson's in stock? I ordered my 1.75" a month ago from a popular distributor but they are backordered from the factory in Australia, I was told maybe by end of November. Once I get the Dobbies in, my stock springs are free to whoever wants them.
The Dobinsons were not in stock, on the ship headed here just like the 1.75". Not expected until early 2023. We're in the same boat waiting.

I'm currently shopping for a Sequoias to get my 80 out of family tow duty.
I saw this thread & decide to stop by & say hello to the Sequoia crowd.

I see you have a broken coil. Knowing 80 series OME coils I noticed in the thread in this link ‘08 Sequoia Build with OME rear coils - https://www.tundras.com/threads/%E2%80%9808-sequoia-build-with-ome-rear-coils.48094/ They used a 2864 which is an 50mm lift 80 series rear 320# rate coil. So if they do fit you have many options.
The 2866 is a 40mm lift coil that is dual rated 240/300# rate.
The 2862 is 20mm lift dual rate 170/260# but might not be a strong enough coil to bare the weight.
If you find out what the spring rate & free height of the B/O Dobinson you can find other coils that can work.
20171224_072521-png.1597043

Last edited:
@GW Nugget

Thanks for that info. I had seen some of that info, but not all. I ruled-out going with any other coils other than ones that are meant to fit the Sequoia IRS. Hauling 6 and a camper - I want the right coils in there.

However - I might add a 1" rear spacer to keep it simple. The ones I ordered are standard height, +10-15% spring rate so it should squat as much.

Truck is working fine with the broken spring, for now - Looking forward to getting the Dobinson's.

I heard back from Mike in with this discussion here it is:
Hey Mike, I have been lurking through info on 2nd gen Sequoia & it appears they use an 80 series rear coil.
I am familure with the OME 2864 which is a 320# single rate coil which give about the same amount of lift as a 80 series.
What free height & spring rate is the stock height Dobinson coil. C59-475
Hey man, they really don't. IRS suspension versus rear straight axle uses a different coil. Schmo's out there are using 80 series coils as a sub, but they're not right for it at all. They're only half as strong as they're supposed to be, so they use a really long coil and squeeze it in there.

At this point, Dobinsons are still the only brand I know of making rear coils made only for the Sequoia. People are using OME and others, but they're all 80 series rear coils and they don't support the weight properly. They're probably hitting coil bind too since they're such a soft rate in comparison.

The C59-475 and 477 are the same rate 624LBF/in spring rate, 355mm free height
Thanks
Mike

@GW Nugget

Thanks for that info. I had seen some of that info, but not all. I ruled-out going with any other coils other than ones that are meant to fit the Sequoia IRS. Hauling 6 and a camper - I want the right coils in there.

However - I might add a 1" rear spacer to keep it simple. The ones I ordered are standard height, +10-15% spring rate so it should squat as much.

Truck is working fine with the broken spring, for now - Looking forward to getting the Dobinson's.
Any updates from Dobinsons on the ETA for your rear coils?

I also want to get the stock height coil (C59-475 - Rear Coils - Stock height replacments, 624 LBF/IN) but it is not even listed for sale on dobinsonsdirect.com anymore.

I wish other brands offered rear coils for 2G Sequoias.

@Kh665
'
No updates yet, was told early 2023. The guys at Dobinsons USA said I would receive an update through my order as soon as there was one.

I needed to call Dobinsons USA directly to place an order. I found the P/N on another site and used that to place the order.

Yeah, not a very common truck for people to modify or upgrade, so aftermarket support isnt all that good.

Looking forward to getting the springs. I am also going to replace the rear shocks and loaded front shocks / springs with KYB when I do the rear springs:

1670453687763.png

I’m just going to say it. You will be fine (better than fine in fact) putting a small lift in the truck, with heavier rate springs. There is absolutely no reason to not look at a quality lift like OME or Ironman. Both companies offer 2” or so kits that offer far better ride and load carrying capacity than stock components. I build custom travel trailers for a living, and equip my clients vehicles for long distance towing. Stock equipment sucks. Riding around on broken spring(s) with no end date is not a great solution.

I’m just going to say it. You will be fine (better than fine in fact) putting a small lift in the truck, with heavier rate springs. There is absolutely no reason to not look at a quality lift like OME or Ironman. Both companies offer 2” or so kits that offer far better ride and load carrying capacity than stock components. I build custom travel trailers for a living, and equip my clients vehicles for long distance towing. Stock equipment sucks. Riding around on broken spring(s) with no end date is not a great solution.
I appreciate that, but just don't want a lift kit. OME and Ironman, neither make a kit for the IRS Sequoia. I've run OME in my 80 series and it was awesome, wish they made a kit for the Sequoia IRS.

Dobinsons makes good products, I like the standard height with increased spring rate option. Both the Dobinsons 1.75" and standard height rear springs or complete kits are on backorder. No ones else makes rear IRS springs except Totota factory springs.

The wait continues.

Sounds like you have a focus…. Fingers crossed they show up soon for you.

I asked Dobinsions if they had an update - yep. The springs should be out of manufacturing on Dec 22, then shipped to USA which can take a month or two.

Oh well, looks like End of Feb / March 2023. The only thing good about that is the weather should be "slightly warmer" then for doing shop work.

Dobinsons reports that the stock height rear springs, and the 1.75" lift rear springs will not be shipping until May 2023, then a 45+ day shipping from Australia.

Looks like I will be replacing my poor rear spring with OEM, and perhaps a 1" spacer.

I'd love to wait, but one of my rear springs is broken. I will need to tow the camper before they arrive, unfortunately.

Dobinsons reports that the stock height rear springs, and the 1.75" lift rear springs will not be shipping until May 2023, then a 45+ day shipping from Australia.

Looks like I will be replacing my poor rear spring with OEM, and perhaps a 1" spacer.
This sucks big time. I just dont understand why other guys ( Eibach, ironman, etc.) can't make rear coils for 2GSequioa.

This sucks big time. I just dont understand why other guys ( Eibach, ironman, etc.) can't make rear coils for 2GSequioa.

I agree! Just Toyota OEM and Dobinsons is what I can find. If anyone has a USED set of rear coils for me, I'd be interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom