2011 LX570 was stuck in 4LO - How do I avoid this in the future? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today, I was dragging my dump trailer out of a sloped/muddy area, so I popped it into 4LO. I then needed to get out of 4LO, but it was stuck in 4LO. It took about 30 minutes of randomly driving forward, driving backward, switching between 4LO/4HIGH, coasting in Neutral and restarting to pop it back out. It finally popped out of 4LO when I was slowly coasting backward down an slight incline (in Drive) and the "hill hold"feature (the automatic brake activation that keeps the truck from rolling backward when you transition from foot-on-the-brake to foot-on-the-gas) activated. I'm not sure if the "hill hold" had anything beneficial to contribute to popping it out of 4LO, but that is what was going on.

I'm hesitant to try 4LO again as this is my only vehicle and it would be a bummer if it got stuck again.

Aside from regularly exercising 4LO, is there anything I can do to increase the chance that 4LO will work smoothly?

It was around 50F and the truck had been sitting overnight. Perhaps I should try again when the truck has been driven for a while and is warm.

I also tried to lock the center diff when I initially went into 4LO, but that just blinked. I don't think it ever locked.

I find when it sticks to reverse rolling, switch to neutral, switch out, stop and then go forward.
Sometimes I need to do it twice.

Hope that helps.

My Rubicon is the same.

Use it more.

When it gets in a weird state, try disconnecting the battery for a few.
This has worked for me a few times.

Try engaging 4Lo and CDL weekly. That seemed to have helped alleviate my issues with being stuck in 4Lo and CDL engaged.

Also, being on flat ground seems to help.

Check the tuneup thread for what to do if it legitimately gets stuck during all this exercise.

in my experience with my former LX570, the t-case needs to be warmed up before it will easily go from 4L to 4H. No idea why but this was very consistent with mine. I only made the mistake of 4L on cold oil a couple of times.

in my experience with my former LX570, the t-case needs to be warmed up before it will easily go from 4L to 4H. No idea why but this was very consistent with mine. I only made the mistake of 4L on cold oil a couple of times.
Yeah, but lets be real.. you practially live on the North Pole. Surprised your rig starts at all. jk 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom