Michelin Defenders (LTX M/S) not recommended on 2011 LX570???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Based on the forum's recommendation, I went to Costco this weekend to order new rubber for my 2011 LX570, as they have a Michelin discount this month. The costco tire guy told me that the Defenders have a different speed rating than the vehicle recommends and therefore my insurance company would be able to deny any coverage should I get in an accident. He instead recommended the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra. The Bridgestone is a somewhat cheaper tire, so I don't think he's trying to upsell me.

Have any of you ever heard of the Defenders not being compatible due to speed ratings/load ratings/temperature ratings/etc? I have noticed that, while shopping around, some tire websites don't pull the Defenders up when I enter my specs, but the Michelin website in fact does.

I am running stock wheels, and only looking at 285/50 R20s, so it's not like I am asking for different size.

For the record, I am mostly wanting a good highway tire than can handle some snow for our trips to the Colorado Mountains (which is how I landed on the Defender in the first place).

This is the problem with Costco. They are butt heads when it comes to rules (thanks attorneys)!

Defender has an H speed ratting - 130mph. Max speed on paper for our rigs is 137mph. Good luck getting to it.
You should be concerned about the load ratting not the speed.
I and many others here run that tire.
Find another shop. TireRack has no problem with H ratting. Same with DiscountTire or my local shop.

BTW you made the right choice w/ Defender.

Based on the forum's recommendation, I went to Costco this weekend to order new rubber for my 2011 LX570, as they have a Michelin discount this month. The costco tire guy told me that the Defenders have a different speed rating than the vehicle recommends and therefore my insurance company would be able to deny any coverage should I get in an accident. He instead recommended the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra. The Bridgestone is a somewhat cheaper tire, so I don't think he's trying to upsell me.

Have any of you ever heard of the Defenders not being compatible due to speed ratings/load ratings/temperature ratings/etc? I have noticed that, while shopping around, some tire websites don't pull the Defenders up when I enter my specs, but the Michelin website in fact does.

I am running stock wheels, and only looking at 285/50 R20s, so it's not like I am asking for different size.

For the record, I am mostly wanting a good highway tire than can handle some snow for our trips to the Colorado Mountains (which is how I landed on the Defender in the first place).
I got some pushback at one Costco, I went to another and only got a mention about the different speed rating. Mine will be installed tomorrow.
Go to a different Costco.

Do you even INTERSTATE, bro?!?! pssshhhht...130mph is in the right lane for me!

In all seriousness, either go to a different costco or go to DT, local tire shop you trust. That's ridiculous, but reminds me of my battery experience strong arming the guy to sell me an AGM battery when he clearly wanted me to get a SLA battery. No, thanks...I want to pay for the AGM and leave.

It has nothing to do with your insurance company. The guy was just trying to justify Costco’s strict rules about tires. Go somewhere else.

One thought about the advice to find a different costco..

If you have problems with the tires and only have access to one costco who happens to refuse to work on that tire on your rig..

One thought about the advice to find a different costco..

If you have problems with the tires and only have access to one costco who happens to refuse to work on that tire on your rig..
Fair question/concern; I'll keep the receipt in the glove box and count myself lucky that it's not my biggest worry.

Thanks for your input everyone. I went ahead and just ordered the Defenders on Costco's website instead of in-store - had no issues there.

The tires arrived and were installed on Friday, and no one at Costco said anything about them. Maybe I just had an overzealous "by-the-book" guy at the counter when I tried to order them the first time. Regardless, I'm loving the Defenders so far. Much improved and quieter highway ride. We're taking the rig to Breckenridge next weekend and should have a chance to see how they perform in snow.

Thanks for your input everyone. I went ahead and just ordered the Defenders on Costco's website instead of in-store - had no issues there.

The tires arrived and were installed on Friday, and no one at Costco said anything about them. Maybe I just had an overzealous "by-the-book" guy at the counter when I tried to order them the first time. Regardless, I'm loving the Defenders so far. Much improved and quieter highway ride. We're taking the rig to Breckenridge next weekend and should have a chance to see how they perform in snow.
Not isolated. I ordered same tire, they delivered to store, then they refused to install even after I elevated to the tire manager who was off at home that day, arguing they are within 3% size constraint. Basically the argument is going from a 148 to 130mph speed rating is unacceptably dangerous. F'n ridiculous. I will probably end up going to local shop, but Costco price is really good this month.

I got some pushback at one Costco, I went to another and only got a mention about the different speed rating. Mine will be installed tomorrow.
Go to a different Costco.
I’ve never had my insurance company question my tires, in over 50 years of driving and very occasional claims.

Not isolated. I ordered same tire, they delivered to store, then they refused to install even after I elevated to the tire manager who was off at home that day, arguing they are within 3% size constraint. Basically the argument is going from a 148 to 130mph speed rating is unacceptably dangerous. F'n ridiculous. I will probably end up going to local shop, but Costco price is really good this month.
Fyu. Discount tire will beat Costco price. I have the defenders on my 13 lx. Great tires. Just put defenders on wife Subaru

This was on my ISF, so not apples to apples, but I got around this by ordering the tires by size from the website and not specifying the vehicle type. Then I just dropped off the rims - not the car - and got out of there before they asked questions. I wanted to upsize beyond their allowable limits so I never specified what vehicle it was for. If they asked I was going to tell them it was for a track car, but they never even batted an eye. They installed and balanced the tires, I installed the rims at home. I saved the money buy buying at Costco, but had a bit more hassle doing the install. Actually I probably double saved since I didn't also spend an extra hour at Costco which would have resulted in an extra $500 worth of stuff I never planned to buy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom