LX570 Check Engine & Check VSC stuck in 4lo and CDL engaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at Windrock Park and was speeding around on easy parts of G1, then the Check Engine and Check VSC notifications came on. I was in 4 hi and no CDL engaged, but I couldn’t engage 4 lo. I googled once I had service and it seemed it might be a gas cap issue. I took the gas cap off, put it back on. Turned the LX on and off, then all good. Lights gone.

Fast forward a bit and I made it down to Panther Rock. All the lights come back on. At this point I am in 4 lo and CDL engaged. Thankfully I was, because if you’ve been, you know you have to climb out. LX performed flawlessly up a steep and challenging climb with obstacles. Remove and reseal gas cap, but this time, I can’t get out of 4 lo and disengage CDL.

I get out of the trail and try driving and disengage the CDL as I read online. Doesn’t work. I drive toward Windrock Park Country Store, but see Ginger’s Deli and stop to use her phone. I end up doing so and using some glass cleaner and take off the battery terminals. Twice. All the lights are gone but the flashing CDL, then I take it for a spin and it goes away. Hit the highway etc and it is seemingly fine.

Anyone know what is going on and what I can do to ensure this doesn’t happen again? If it does happen again, can I be sure that battery reset will continue to work until I can it to a shop or Lexus back home?

FWIW shout out Ginger at Ginger’s Deli. If you’re in the area, stop through. She was awesome, incredibly kind and helpful. Burger was great, had good selection of necessities.

C193DFFC-53F5-4E4E-89C7-AB5800726337.jpeg

Could be many things. No way to tell without the code. You can try to disconnect the battery for a while and see if it clears.
Thank you. I did exactly this and it cleared after the second time disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The CDL disengaged after about 50 yards of driving.

If I scan with the OBDII tomorrow, will the codes be in the history?

So it was code C1268, Transfer L4 Position Switch.
What year (helps if it's in your sig) and how many miles?

Transfer case / CDL actuator glitches aren't uncommon. This is a good example of why having a bluetooth OBD reader in the vehicle at all times and app on your phone can save the day, allowing you to reset codes and usually get the transfer/cdl working well enough to get out of a bind. Evap codes from very steep terrain like moab are another common issue.

What year (helps if it's in your sig) and how many miles?

Transfer case / CDL actuator glitches aren't uncommon. This is a good example of why having a bluetooth OBD reader in the vehicle at all times and app on your phone can save the day, allowing you to reset codes and usually get the transfer/cdl working well enough to get out of a bind. Evap codes from very steep terrain like moab are another common issue.

It is an 09 with about 170,000 miles. The route to Panther Rock is pretty steep, however not having been to Moab I can’t comment. The car was parked with the front facing up the mountain too. Guess it wasn’t throwing EVAP codes though.

Thank you! Glitches? That indicates they are for a short period of time and resolved which is good. Somewhat relieved to hear. I have read now that activating often helps with these issues.

Any advice on a good Bluetooth OBDII scanner?

This sounds bizarre to share. Same codes appear when your gas cap is loose or its gasket is compromised. Chased my tail a couple of times. This was on a gx470 but same symptoms.

It is an 09 with about 170,000 miles. The route to Panther Rock is pretty steep, however not having been to Moab I can’t comment. The car was parked with the front facing up the mountain too. Guess it wasn’t throwing EVAP codes though.

Thank you! Glitches? That indicates they are for a short period of time and resolved which is good. Somewhat relieved to hear. I have read now that activating often helps with these issues.

Any advice on a good Bluetooth OBDII scanner?
You may be reading into my vernacular.. some people are forced to go in to the 4Lo/CDL actuator to repair a micro switch. Others do get some benefit from cycling often, yes.

Or, it could be totally unrelated to the actuator as ceylon pointed out.

I personally like the Carista module. They do have an app that works ok, but for one specific thing - programming TPMS sensors into the ECU - a temporary pro license to their software is super convenient. Note that the ability to program TPMS at all (independent of the software) is a rare feature in these modules. The free version of their app will do basic OBD code read/reset, and even hit other modules like ABS/SRS/etc. But you can also use their module with more powerful/useful diagnostic apps like OBD Fusion. When you purchase the advanced PID packs that one also allows you to set up visual dashboards that you can use to monitor parameters like ATF temps and others while on trips/towing/whatever.

Far from the only OBD reader though.

More info:

Thank you! I will look into these, but I really like the features you outlined.

I did hit Windrock again this morning and had no issues although I didn’t risk 4Lo. I did out it in 4Lo when I got home and it engaged and disengaged immediately. I’ll try this once a week and see if it improves. I’ll also buy a new gas cap to ensure that isn’t the issue.

Thank you everyone!
23BEE8AF-52B5-4A22-885B-6BA18C209BFE.jpeg
2A4B3FE2-57D7-41EE-8B3F-55074346CEA6.jpeg

Update: I have been engaging and disengaging low and CDL the past couple of weeks and observed must faster engagement and disengaging of both.

Hit another trail and another five hundred miles this past weekend and no issues or lights at all, albeit with less elevation and incline.

This sounds bizarre to share. Same codes appear when your gas cap is loose or its gasket is compromised. Chased my tail a couple of times. This was on a gx470 but same symptoms.
This. Also low battery voltage will do this, at least in my experience after leaving LCs parked for months at the airport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom