Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah for basically brand new tires on them thats a very fair deal. I think my tires alone I paid around $1200 with balancing. Thats the same size and tire type I've had the past 25k miles and been very happy with them. It's the Toyota recommended size for those wheels (if that matters at all).

I was thinking if i go with those (32.8s) then i might drop the AHC back down to stock levels as there is no rubbing at stock height, correct? May as well wait until i swap the rims/tires for an alignment at this point, since i want to swap this month.

Time to figure out a fair asking price for my stock tires/rims. I'll post details on them soon.

I was thinking if i go with those (32.8s) then i might drop the AHC back down to stock levels as there is no rubbing at stock height, correct? May as well wait until i swap the rims/tires for an alignment at this point, since i want to swap this month.

Time to figure out a fair asking price for my stock tires/rims. I'll post details on them soon.
Isn't 285/70R17 basically that size? I believe KO2's in that size come out at 32.6". Unlikely you'd miss the extra 1/8" of ground clearance. Tires are expensive, if i could save $500+ on a deal, i think i could live with that 1/*' clearance difference.

You are correct in that the fluid is at its lowest level when the truck is in high, but the AHC sensor adjustment you just made isn’t putting the truck in high nor does it require additional fluid. You are just changing the “offset” of what the neutral height is.

Got tomorrow off so i plan on messing around with trying to check the fluid again. I might mess with the sensors and check the fluids at the highest and lowest sensor level to test something.

I was thinking about what you said, and i still think that there should be a difference in how much fluid you need depending on where the sensors sit. We are talking a 2.5" difference in height between lowest and highest sensor positions, and the AHC system handles it by adjusting fluid amounts in the shocks, right?

I just think the higher the car is raised by the AHC system, the more fluid the AHC uses. You adjust the sensors, then the AHC pumps fluid into the shocks to raise it to the new neutral height, then pumps the same amount of fluid as before to go from neutral to high. My question is, is there enough fluid left to raise it the full 2.5 inches from neutral to high, if some of the fluid has been used to raise it to the new neutral position in the first place?

So if sensor adjustment lifts it a hypothetical 1.25 inches, and the level is at "full" when in low before adjustment, then should it not be at full minus amount required for 1.25 inch lift, after the adjustment? And if it was "min" in high before adjustment, and you are now lifting it to high + an additional 1.25 inches after adjustment, then should it not be below "min" when in the new high height? Or does factory fluid levels already account for the 1.25" extra height from adjusting sensors?

After adjustment, am i still looking to make sure it is at "min" when in high, and "full" when in low?

Got tomorrow off so i plan on messing around with trying to check the fluid again. I might mess with the sensors and check the fluids at the highest and lowest sensor level to test something.

I was thinking about what you said, and i still think that there should be a difference in how much fluid you need depending on where the sensors sit. We are talking a 2.5" difference in height between lowest and highest sensor positions, and the AHC system handles it by adjusting fluid amounts in the shocks, right?

I just think the higher the car is raised by the AHC system, the more fluid the AHC uses. You adjust the sensors, then the AHC pumps fluid into the shocks to raise it to the new neutral height, then pumps the same amount of fluid as before to go from neutral to high. My question is, is there enough fluid left to raise it the full 2.5 inches from neutral to high, if some of the fluid has been used to raise it to the new neutral position in the first place?

So if sensor adjustment lifts it a hypothetical 1.25 inches, and the level is at "full" when in low before adjustment, then should it not be at full minus amount required for 1.25 inch lift, after the adjustment? And if it was "min" in high before adjustment, and you are now lifting it to high + an additional 1.25 inches after adjustment, then should it not be below "min" when in the new high height? Or does factory fluid levels already account for the 1.25" extra height from adjusting sensors?

After adjustment, am i still looking to make sure it is at "min" when in high, and "full" when in low?

You are not adding additional height that is not already accounted for by the capacity of fluid already in the system. Even with the adjustment you are well within spec of normal operation. Hope that helps.

You are not adding additional height that is not already accounted for by the capacity of fluid already in the system. Even with the adjustment you are well within spec of normal operation. Hope that helps.

That’s exactly what I am asking. So the factory’s fluid levels does account for adjustment. Thank you!

Okay, i think i will leave the AHC sensors alone for now and mess with it once i swap out tires/rims if needed later this month.

The other project i would like to get done for this month, besides tires and rims, is treating the rust and coating the undercarriage.

I think i will just soda blast the spots with rust, mostly by the tailgate area.

Last edited:
Added air compressor to list. I'm sure there are other things i forgot as well so it's nice to have a place to gather my thoughts.

I really like how he slides the stove from under the fridge, and i assume the stove lifts out from there; for situations when i want to cook in a different spot. I may consider doing something similar.

I also like the idea of building a drawer just on the side i plan on using the Megamat on.

I love the name as well, as i was just thinking the other day that the Millennium Falcon is a pretty dang reliable spaceship; It was mostly on fire in the last movie (Rise of Skywalker) and still got everyone home safely. Every time i see it show up in star wars, i just know our heroes are in good hands/will make it home okay. Shortly after seeing the movie i saw this on facebook in one of the 70 Series groups i am in:

fb1.PNG
Facebook Post - Burned 70 Series

Also reminds me of the last part of this:

How to kill a toyota - part 1

Millennium Falcon is a pretty fitting name for a Land Cruiser, i'd say.

Last edited:

Dobinsons rear bumper with dual 285/70R17; looks like you can fit dual 34s easy on that bumper. Just gotta figure out how to mount/unmount them easily.

Dobinsons rear bumper with dual 285/70R17; looks like you can fit dual 34s easy on that bumper. Just gotta figure out how to mount/unmount them easily.
You can clean a 100 pound wheel/tire. If you can't, you can use a tree protector/tow strap to create a forearm lifter to help do it. It does suck lining them up with the lugs, but only for 2 or 3 seconds.

That bumper is heavy. They recreate the bumper cover profile out of steel . . . but it does fit and it's not too much $. Might want to call RLC, he can do a dual swing in a more slim profile. Probably cost about the same. Also I think he's in your neck of the woods.

What is difference between low profile and super duty? Low profile one is long reach and max height of 24.25, both 3 tons. Looks identical otherwise.

View attachment 2168490

May be wise to place a small piece of wood at the end and screw it down to the bottom pieces rather than the last divider piece you have at the end of the ramp. This way if you went to far it would break off and the wood black would be similar to the wheel chuck you have in the front of the ramp.

For anybody else if interested, my Harbor Freight was having a 3 day instore only sale on jacks today, $20 off almost all of them. I then had this coupon which gives you an additional $20 off. $40 off is pretty sweet, that's the biggest discount I've seen. I needed a new jack so i went with the 3 ton low profile Daytona, $99 out the door. I only did the low profile because it had an extra 2" max height

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 10.11.59 AM.png

Thanks @DPA200, 40 off is great! Got this guy for 170. Now just a couple jack stands and I’m set for most things except treating undercarriage.

I considered putting some pads on forks and using 2 forklifts to basically act as a 2-post lift for prepping and coating undercarriage, anyone think this is a bad idea? My parents have a few forklifts I can use on weekends.
7D33E9C3-974F-492F-964D-A243906E8903.jpeg

F8D201D9-D1FC-4A13-A1C7-B9F015B0E56F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @DPA200, 40 off is great! Got this guy for 170. Now just a couple jack stands and I’m set for most things except treating undercarriage.

I considered putting some pads on forks and using 2 forklifts to basically act as a 2-post lift for prepping and coating undercarriage, anyone think this is a bad idea? My parents have a few forklifts I can use on weekends.

i think the pallets would be safer . . . If you do this definitely take pics! They’ll be epic.

View attachment 2179260

View attachment 2179265
Sweet, $170 for the super duty can’t beat that. Glad it worked out

Not sure how i missed this before when considering front bumpers, but OEM always gets a huge plus in my book.

Toyota200Bumper.PNG

Toyota200BumperBlack.PNG

Toyota Australia is not known for being modest lol.

KingOffTheRoad.PNG

Still powerfull Still indestructible.PNG

They even get better version of the luxury versions as well.

LX570S

4.5 twin-turbodiesel LX450D

Add the bumper and those to the increasing list of things i want from Australia lol.

While we are at it, can't forget the portal axles.

They really do get the best over there.

Last edited:
I’ve been having some fun with her while trying to figure out what my limits are as stock, and so far she’s doing great. I lost most of my footage to a corrupted SD card and accidentally deleted some, whoops. Still got some photos and a little bit of my dash cam footage though.

If anyone is in the Raleigh area and want to find some trails let me know! Going solo is risky especially with me having no recovery gear but luckily I have not gotten myself stuck.

98B8F10F-1BE6-48A5-A9F8-FCC6945A652F.jpeg

DSC06203.png

DSC06199.png

DSC06201.png

DSC06202.png

Last edited:
I’ve been having some fun with her while trying to figure out what my limits are as stock, and so far she’s doing great. I lost most of my footage to a corrupted SD card and accidentally deleted some, whoops. Still got some photos and a little bit of my dash cam footage though.

If anyone is in the Raleigh area and want to find some trails let me know! Going solo is risky especially with me having no recovery gear but luckily I have not gotten myself stuck.

View attachment 2186830

Way to go! This is how you figure out what to mod next. Get out there and see what you need.

Way to go! This is how you figure out what to mod next. Get out there and see what you need.

Yeah, definitely tires/rims as first step, followed by a hi lift and recovery straps. I have seen other people use hi lifts as a winch, and i was thinking that would be good to hold me off until i can afford a bumper with winch.

I've been digging for rock warriors/keeping my eyes open. It was amazing what i made it through with the street tires, especially considering that i had it overinflated by a few psi. I was expecting the ride to be much more bumpy.

This is where i decided not to risk it (exit too small and mud probably too deep for street tires), so i walked further down to take some pictures for consideration for next time. I want to come back with another person and try to make it further down the trail and see how far i can go as stock.

DSC06206.png

DSC06207.png

DSC06209.png

DSC06210.png

DSC06211.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom