trudd’s “Dad Hat” Build Thread - 2010 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, a confession: this won’t be a very dramatic build thread. More like a maintenance/project thread. Out of the box, the LC platform already over delivers for almost all my needs. From daily school drop offs to occasional off-grid camping, it’s our Swiss Army knife mobile.

LC History
1989 FJ62 -
my dad almost bought a Smurf blue LC when I was a teen, but instead bought a 3rd gen 4Runner. Looking back, this was the start of the journey. The 4Runner was fun. That 62 would’ve been awesome.

2000 100-Series - This was my first LC. Bought in 2016, it represented the start of lots of things: learning to wrench and fix things on my own. Taking my young family on remote camping adventures that were previously just “for the guys.” I was very pragmatic about expenses early in my career, and this was among the first fun “quality of life” purchase that enabled the lifestyle we wanted, while also becoming a bit of a hobby, too.
APC_5341.jpeg

APC_3002.jpeg

2009 LX 570 - A pragmatic & semi-impulsive move. We tried (and succeeded) for a 3rd child, and my two older kids were graduating out of boosters. As much as I loved the 100, it didn’t have side airbags and I could no longer resolve that fact. So we snagged an LX and sold the 100 at the top of the market in 2021.

We immediately put it to use on camping trips. We also drove over 8,000 miles coast-to-coast in the summer of 2022. All with a 9 y/o, 7 y/o, and a 6-month old. The LX’s ride is a dream compared to the 100!
APC_7780.jpeg

While the ‘09 had lots of life left at only 175k miles, I needed to fix the valley plate leak, radiator hairline crack, and a few other things that were going to add up in cost. Luckily, the baseball-sized hail hit us before I did all that work. The LX was a total loss in the fall of 2023.

2010 LX 570 - to replace the totaled ‘09, I snagged a single owner, dealer-maintained 2010 from Texas with only 81k miles on the clock. Luckily, I got to swap out the best parts of the ‘09 into the ‘10.

The 2010 came with Nitto Grapplers on black painted wheels. I hated the ride quality. So in true form, I swapped them out for the much less aggressive Michelin Defenders from the 2009.
IMG_1375.jpeg

The wheel swap pretty much embodies my “Dad Hat” approach to this LC. Function over fashion, and ready to be used when needed. Kind of like the hat that’s always on the dashboard.
APC_4989.jpeg

I bought the 2010 knowing that the Navigation screen had some type of UV damage. Seems to be a problem with 2010 LC’s and LX’s. Rather than replace the entire navigation unit (which is anywhere from $1k-2.5k used price, depending on the part number), I decided to tear it apart and replace just the screen.

IMG_0021.jpeg

I documented the process here LX 570 - Yellow Navigation Screen Replacement - A How-To Guide - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx-570-yellow-navigation-screen-replacement-a-how-to-guide.1329738/

Finally ordered the LED lift gate light from @Brendan. Can't believe I didn't get this for my last LX. This would have been so useful on the last 2 years worth of camping trips.

Installation was easy once I figured out how to wedge my hand in the compartment to push out the lift gate button. I wanted to avoid pulling the trim off, and was too impatient to wait on a family member with smaller hands to help.

I went with the normal "cool light" option, versus the amber. I might add some 1/4 or 1/2 CTO gel to warm up the color temperature a little bit. That is film-speak for a sheet of clear plastic that makes the light more orange. Goal is to match it to the color of the interior lights a bit more. Figured the amber would be too warm. Most people won't notice this or care about it.

IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2790.jpg

I also added some earth magnets to the tailgate so the cable won't pop out anymore. Anything from home depot will do. Works 98% of the time. Still dialing the right placement in.
IMG_2902.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom