2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have a 2010 Lx570 and the radiator is developing a crack. Ordered the newest replacement (top appears to be a new design), but it got delivered w/a an interesting bit of "damage". Would you return it or run it?

i-7mH9v24-X2.jpg

If those 5 rows of fins on the left are supposed to look like the other rows, then I would definitely return it.

So I have a 2010 Lx570 and the radiator is developing a crack. Ordered the newest replacement (top appears to be a new design), but it got delivered w/a an interesting bit of "damage". Would you return it or run it?

i-7mH9v24-X2.jpg
No question.. Return it...

One row compressed isn’t outside of the realm of how some radiators are designed.. but five, and it being worse in the middle than at the ends: definitely not supposed to be like that.

I’ll Third. Return it.

Sure looks like it got dropped or crushed to me

So I am a new(2009)LX570 owner... on my trip driving it home from Dallas my radiator started to spray pink.. It wasn't catastrophic but it has "The Crack". After reading around on here I ordered a new radiator and hoses, it had a newish water pump. The radiator is the newest version and it does look "improved" over the old style.

IMG_9344.jpg

@kms254, interesting, I just had mine replaced over the summer and it looks like the old style. Do you have the invoice from the shop with the part # on it by chance? The part # the dealer had on my invoice was 16400-50384. (I assume the 5038 above means "radiator" and the last digit (4 in my case) is the version, since if you look online the part numbers go from 16400-50380 to 16400-50384).

@kms254, interesting, I just had mine replaced over the summer and it looks like the old style. Do you have the invoice from the shop with the part # on it by chance? The part # the dealer had on my invoice was 16400-50384. (I assume the 5038 above means "radiator" and the last digit (4 in my case) is the version, since if you look online the part numbers go from 16400-50380 to 16400-50384).
Replaced my radiator about 2 weeks ago and purchased the 16400-50384... Mine is also the revised newer looking one..

Interesting. My invoice shows the same part #, but I definitely have the older raised portion (squared off, not sloped like yours)

2008-2010 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement

I wonder if Toyota changed the part mid-production without changing the part #, or if the dealers were ordering the newest part but the Toyota distribution centers were sending whatever old stock was left.

I did get an email saying they were out of stock at their dealership and had to order one from the distribution center. I'm not sure if that is normal for them or if I got the newest fresh batch.

I doubt many regular volume dealers keep these in stock

But.. interesting. Was already watching this thread but now I’ll be paying extra attention to see how this rolls out.

Time for all of us to check to see if we have the newer model. I had mine replaced in june as well. Part was purchased from Toyota Dealership.

I did mine in May and it’s the older design.

:hmm:Looks like Toyota is probably trying to get rid of the remaining older version stock while also selling the newer revised version to the lucky few all with the same part number ....

Anyone have a 2018? What does the radiator look like in them? Still old style or the new style?

What's the point of the "raised" section anyways? Why doesn't Toyota fabricate a uniform smooth surface area, place a Toyota sticker, and call it a day?

What's the point of the "raised" section anyways? Why doesn't Toyota fabricate a uniform smooth surface area, place a Toyota sticker, and call it a day?

Based on that flashing next to it perhaps these are made in batches and the extrusion is where an adjacent radiator is formed? Then they’re cut at that solid connection piece once cooled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom