2007 Land Cruiser 100 Series blown head gasket worth repair? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

I’ve confirmed and reconfirmed that the HG is blown on my LC. The beast was hauling 2k pounds up a desert mountain at 80mph, blew the top of the stock radiator, and is now pressurizing the cooling system with combustion.
Before realizing it was HG, I dumped a few bucks in with the usuals, rad, cap, thermostat, and an AC compressor while I was at it.
I’m fully ready to dive into the head gaskets now (and likely starter and timing belt/water pump while I’m in there) but I’m hesitant and wanting advice on what y’all think about this rigs rust issues. It was a Detroit cruiser that I had shipped down to TX At 220k miles. It now had 250k with these issues.
EDIT* here to add this point:
She runs like a top!! Makes me hopeful that there are no issues with compression… there’s zero misfiring. Actually! I have videos that I can link or maybe upload to YouTube but yeah, I’ve loved every minute driving it..
I’m guessing I had the typical weak top of the stock radiator and since I was on the highway when it blew out, it was just enough heat and pressure to blow HG, probably warped heads a bit and a shop down the street will pressure test and surface for them $600..
I can go out and start it right now, runs and drives strong, and it won’t even overheat if I have the burp funnel attached with coolant. It just burps every 15 seconds at idle consistently. No water or oil mixed. No smoke out the back.

Please see some pics below. My biggest possibly silly worry is how the steering shaft looks. I poked it and the outside wrap(?) disinegrated. Kinda scary to snap that while on a trip. I also took pics of other problem areas I saw including the frame, absolutely filthy disgusting crevices next to intake manifold nuts, and the rusted nuts and bolts I’ll need to take off for HG..(sorry for the sloppy pics!)

OH, and that’s my brand new radiator that I just noticed I jacked up while installing!! How bad is that?

Any help or advice appreciated!

(Will reply to my own post with more pics)

IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6545.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

IMG_6549.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a little crunchy which might make some bolts harder than typical. How has it been working on it up to this point? Breaking out the extractor regularly? If the truck was closer to 100% I might try replacing some of the more critical components.

Given it is an ‘07 with a VVTI that makes finding a replacement engine a bit tougher. The risk with trying to repair this one is you don’t really know how bad the compression leak is. Engine could be fubar as it stands.

Are you referring to the bent fins on the radiator? If so they can be combed out. As long as it is holding pressure I would run it.

It’s a little crunchy which might make some bolts harder than typical. How has it been working on it up to this point? Breaking out the extractor regularly? If the truck was closer to 100% I might try replacing some of the more critical components.

Given it is an ‘07 with a VVTI that makes finding a replacement engine a bit tougher. The risk with trying to repair this one is you don’t really know how bad the compression leak is. Engine could be fubar as it stands.

Are you referring to the bent fins on the radiator? If so they can be combed out. As long as it is holding pressure I would run it.
She runs like a top!! Makes me hopeful for compression… zero misfiring. Actually! I have videos that I can link or maybe upload to YouTube but yeah, I’ve loved every minute..
I’m guessing I had the typical weak top of the stock radiator and since I was on the highway when it blew out, it was just enough heat and pressure to blow HG, probably warped heads a bit and a shop down the street will pressure test and surface for them $600..

Ok sounds good on the Rad.

I can go out and start it right now, runs and drives strong, and it won’t even overheat if I have the burp funnel attached with coolant. It just burps every 15 seconds at idle consistently

I guess these are all details I should have included in post. I’ll go add them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom