2005 4Runner Timing Belt Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I had the timing belt done on my 4Runner and the mechanic sent me a message that it has a CEL on and is throwing the P0011 Code. He provided videos of the timing belt and everything appears to be timed up well and that the belt is tight. See below.

Here is the left Cam

1690506097880.png

Right Cam

1690506173573.jpeg

Top of the Crank

1690506235796.jpeg

Bottom of Crank

1690506276459.jpeg

Is there anything in these pictures that looks suspect? It all looked good to me, however seems like the P0011 code could be related? He also did an oil change with high mileage full synthetic. Could it be the camshaft position sensor? Any knowledge from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks

the timing mark isn't that "T"
the marks on the crank aren't lined up.
the crank is set at tdc but the cams aren't. they're set forward like that lower article shows.

Screenshot_20230728-091621_Google~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230728-113611_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah timing. I just did mine on a 2005 4runner and fyi you can use the "T" marks for replacement.

But for checking timing you use the lines as shown above

Yeah timing. I just did mine on a 2005 4runner and fyi you can use the "T" marks for replacement.

So the marks show above when he replaced it are correct?

Seems like the consensus is to pull off the timing covers and see where they line up at. The bottom end is at TDC when the mark is at 0 degrees, right?

1690565752586.jpeg

Honestly it looks like gnob is right and the Aisin kit that was used called out the “I” as the timing mark and not the “T” as shown in my other pictures. Did your kit call out the T instead?

Assuming the timing is off would there be an obvious issue with how it runs if it’s only off by that much? Also if both cams are off wouldn’t I expect another code like for the other bank?

Thanks

I've seen lots of conflicting info based on years but I followed this on my 05.

There's a difference in the terminology. To check timing at TDC use the notch on the crank pulley to 0 and the marks shown above by gnob. Start there and let us know what you find.

I've seen lots of conflicting info based on years but I followed this on my 05.

There's a difference in the terminology. To check timing at TDC use the notch on the crank pulley to 0 and the marks shown above by gnob. Start there and let us know what you find.
That’s it, is off at the crank. The dot should be on the mark and the two close marks should enclose the bolt hole when installing. He had the crank at TDC with the cams advanced to the timing marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom