2003 LC Fuel Tank Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 LC w/ 210k miles - fuel tank is leaking at the seams. Looks like OEM replacement is ~$800. What else should I replace while in there?

Fuel pump? $325
Fuel sender gauge assembly? $175
Fuel Tank Lock Ring? $17
Fuel pump tank seal? $15
Fuel Tank Mount Straps? $165
What else am I missing?

The lock ring may be a good idea, mine was pretty gnarly by the time my tank was due for replacement. Seal is a no brainer if you're doing everything else. You may want to consider the rollover valve while you're in there. I would also add the little filler neck piece to your list (don't know what it is called but it bolts to the tank and the filler neck slides over it). IMO the fuel pump is low priority because it is so easy to access from the cabin—the other components require dropping the tank and thus are better 'while you're in there' parts. That said, fuel pump is of course the most likely to leave you stranded...

When replacing the mounting straps, get new bolts to mount them with.

Unless others report differently, I wouldn't touch the sender gauge assembly if it isn't giving you any trouble at the moment.

Don't forget all the hardware, the bolt/screw heads on the lock ring, rollover valve, and filler neck fitting will likely all be in tough shape.

2003 LC w/ 210k miles - fuel tank is leaking at the seams. Looks like OEM replacement is ~$800. What else should I replace while in there?

Fuel pump? $325
Fuel sender gauge assembly? $175
Fuel Tank Lock Ring? $17
Fuel pump tank seal? $15
Fuel Tank Mount Straps? $165
What else am I missing?
So was seam leak from rust, any pictures?

Unless others report differently, I wouldn't touch the sender gauge assembly if it isn't giving you any trouble at the moment.

Don't forget all the hardware, the bolt/screw heads on the lock ring, rollover valve, and filler neck fitting will likely all be in tough shape.
Thanks - wasn't sure if the sender gauge was necessary. Fuel pump is original so prob good idea to do now. Is there a resource to get all the hardware part numbers? Definitely want to replace it all with fresh bolts/screws/gaskets, etc.
So was seam leak from rust, any pictures?
Yes, rust. I'll post pics when the tank is out. Local Indie is doing the work.
if its due to rust, the straps are probably on their way out also. I had no idea the tank was $800, that's steep
Plan to replace straps as noted in my post above. Thinking of also replacing the fuel tank protector but that's another $400. That would push the parts total to nearly $2K from Toyota. Ouch.

why not just send the tank out for repair, its a metal tank so a patch can be welded on for much less than replacing. i had mine repaired for 130 or so vs 500 for the tank plus filler neck on the tank, all the sender bolts and gaskets and other misc items that would be needed.

There are aftermarket options- 1/3 cost of OEM: Spectra, Dorman check Rock Auto.

And for the price of OEM tank it’s not far off from LongRange high capacity tank

why not just send the tank out for repair, its a metal tank so a patch can be welded on for much less than replacing. i had mine repaired for 130 or so vs 500 for the tank plus filler neck on the tank, all the sender bolts and gaskets and other misc items that would be needed.

There isn't a hole in the tank where a welded patch might make sense. It's leaking at the seam so not sure if that can be fixed?

There are aftermarket options- 1/3 cost of OEM: Spectra, Dorman check Rock Auto.

And for the price of OEM tank it’s not far off from LongRange high capacity tank

Usually you get what you pay for. Can anyone vouch for an aftermarket tank from Spectra, Dorman, etc? My local indie who will be doing the work said those are all junk. He did recommend trying to source an OEM tank from car-part in the South, but I haven't found anyone willing to ship and then I'm still buying a 20 yr old tank.

I installed a Dorman tank from Rock Auto one year ago in my '04. IMO not junk. Same build quality as OEM from everything I could tell and was a perfect fit. Lock ring that came with it was incorrect (must be for earlier LC?) but the hardware and gasket included worked fine. I tend to go OEM when I can, but the fit was perfect and a gas tank is not rocket science. No EVAP issues in the 12-months since. This was an area where there are significant savings by going aftermarket. Time will tell if this one rusts faster than my OEM one, but in New England a metal tank is not a lifetime item and my OEM rusted at the seams like yours. I personally would vouch for the fit and finish. Keep in mind you'll need to paint it (I rattle canned mine with the cheapest black paint Mardens had).

Thanks - wasn't sure if the sender gauge was necessary. Fuel pump is original so prob good idea to do now. Is there a resource to get all the hardware part numbers? Definitely want to replace it all with fresh bolts/screws/gaskets, etc.
I didn't use factory hardware, I used what came with the Dorman tank plus stainless hardware from my stash or the local ACE. Mostly small bolts the same length maybe M6 or so, maybe even slightly smaller diameter...

Plan to replace straps as noted in my post above. Thinking of also replacing the fuel tank protector but that's another $400. That would push the parts total to nearly $2K from Toyota. Ouch.

If its going to be around $2K I would be seriously looking to install a Long Range America tank. You can get a 24gal replacement tank for around $2K and a 40gal replacement tank for around $2.2K

You should try western states with car-part.com. I got a tank and skid plate from them for $250 shipped from out west. They were used but in really good condition. All 3 hard lines from engine bay to tank and 3 gaskets, $146 from my local dealership. I had to use generic replacement straps as mine failed mid job, on a Sunday. Good as new.

If its going to be around $2K I would be seriously looking to install a Long Range America tank. You can get a 24gal replacement tank for around $2K and a 40gal replacement tank for around $2.2K

OEM tank is $800 so quite a lot less than a LRA tank. Don't really have a need for long range.

You should try western states with car-part.com. I got a tank and skid plate from them for $250 shipped from out west. They were used but in really good condition. All 3 hard lines from engine bay to tank and 3 gaskets, $146 from my local dealership. I had to use generic replacement straps as mine failed mid job, on a Sunday. Good as new.

Great deal. Best I'm seeing is $290 for tank in AZ, but that's before shipping which seems to run another couple hundred. At $500, I'll just buy new.

There isn't a hole in the tank where a welded patch might make sense. It's leaking at the seam so not sure if that can be fixed?

mine was leaking at the seam and it was able to be repaired, tanks got to come out one way or another might as well see of its repairable ya got nothing to lose

🤷‍♀️
Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.37.09 AM.png

Looks like the tank I ordered supercedes the tank posted above? Even if one could still purchase the 60660 tank above, with tax and shipping it's close to $800.

Last edited:
Picked up new oem tank, fuel pump, few other items and HW from my local dealer. Install today. I'll post pics of the tank once it's out.

Old tank out - new tank in. Tank is still structurally sound apart from the front left seam. Some guys mentioned repairing the tank rather than replace. Would anyone think this is repairable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom