2002 100 crank won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So about two weeks ago my 100 gave me trouble starting. It would crank but not start. After a couple tries it fired up.

Jump to today and I'm running around getting stuff together for a 10 day moose hunt I leave for tomorrow and after one of my stops the truck won't fire up.

It cranks strong though I still tried some jumper cables to rule out a weak battery.

I think it's a fuel delivery problem. I can't hear the pump run at all when the key is turned.

Where is the efi relay and how would I determine if it's good? What else should I check for.

I tried to search but I'm sitting in my dead cruiser on my phone and wasn't having much luck. It's crunch time for me to try to get this sorted before I leave

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like the symptoms of bad starter contacts. Mine did the same. It will start after 2-3 turns of the key. Eventually that turns into 4-5 turns of the key. A week later 7-8 turns of the key until your luck runs out and it won't start anymore.

If it was the starter Would it still crank or would I just be getting clicks? Is there anyway to check that without removing it? All I have in the truck is the voltmeter that lights up

If it was the starter Would it still crank or would I just be getting clicks? Is there anyway to check that without removing it? All I have in the truck is the voltmeter that lights up

Mine never clicked at all. I just turned the key, and nothing...then kept cycling the key until it would just go. I'm not sure how you would check it without removing.

Mine never clicked at all. I just turned the key, and nothing...then kept cycling the key until it would just go. I'm not sure
how you would check it without
removing.

Yeah that's what my 80 did.

This one is cranking though which made me think fuel delivery

The filter is right on top of the DS wheel well. Small round canister.

I had the same issue earlier this year and these were my diagnostic steps:

1) Take out the fuel pump and test it by wiring it up to 12V. You should hear it spin up and have a pretty nice "whirl" as its pumping.
2) Stick your key in the ignition and make sure that the security light near the radio turns off. If it does not, your key or ignition is bad
3) There is a 10amp EFI fuse which controls the the EFI relay. Replace this with a new one even if you don't see a break in the fuse inside. Try to start the truck after replacing. Many have had success with this route
4) Take out the EFI relay and test the ground and hot. If you have good 12v and ground then try to source another EFI relay and see if this is the source if your issue
5) Check for fuel by busting open the fuel rail or by taking off the feed line to the fuel filter. If you turn your key to "on" it should spew out fuel
6) check for spark by taking out the coil pack, reconnecting the connector and leave a spark plug connected to it and have somebody start the truck. Take out the EFI fuse or relay before you try and start the truck. You should see sparking.
7) Check your crank position sensor to see if it's been chafed by the serpentine belt. This is due to a bad previous timing belt job where the tech did not route the wire correctly and over time it rubs on the belt which causes a break in the wire. This ended up being my issue. I connected the wires back together and I finally got fuel to spit out with spark and ultimately start the truck

Report back with your findings after you have completed these tests. I tried to methodically list the steps in the best way possible.

Another try first idea is your key. There is a ignition cut off inside your key alarm remote, so make sure to try another key to make sure that the remote control works, before jumping into opening everything up.

Check your efi fuse before you go pulling your fuel pump. I had the same problem/symptoms and my efi fuse was melted but still making intermittent continuity. Try replacing the fuse even if it looks okay.

Reports back on this? Any luck?

Sorry for the long wait I went on my moose hunt.

So I replaced the fuse and she started right up drove it home and parked it till this morning when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start.

So I'm back at it

Not sure I have the kind of key everyone is talking about it look like a regular key except there are buttons on the black part

Did you test any of the other stuff?

Did you test any of the other stuff?

Not yet man. I got it fired up before I left then got home at 1AM this morning. When I went out this morning it wouldn't fire up. Just got done with lunch, gonna go out and mess with it.

I appreciate your detailed list, as well as everyone else's suggestions.

I tried another fuse. No luck

Opened the fuel line at the filter and I'm not getting and fuel gonna try the battery to the fuel pump next.

Can I just use any type of wire to try that test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom