No start condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

duggy

SILVER Star
Threads
I had an odd issue this weekend with the cruiser. I just installed an LED lightbar and started having some odd issues with starting the truck back up. It hesitated a bit when I was doing the test drive and didn't think much of it. Just as I was pulling into my driveway the truck died and fell on it's face to 0RPM. I started it up to park correctly in my driveway and it would fall on it's face every time.

I left it for the morning after reading some threads on mud about vapor lock. When I went to turn it on, it would crank fine but no signs of life. I started checking for the usuals and cracked open the fuel rail bolt. Some fuel came out, but that was misleading as the fuel was still pressurized in the lines. I took the feed hose from the fuel filter and turned the key to on without any success.

I started chasing the fuel issue and even ripped out the pump which tested fine. After tearing my interior apart I tested for spark which I did not have so at this point I was pretty stumped.

I was deperate for a resolution so after reading some threads, I finally found a thread that most folks are having some luck on by spraying electronics cleaner on the fuse box. I had low hopes but this resolved the issue after I sprayed the crap out of the fusebox terminals and the relays also. I took all of the relays and fuses out and laid them in the order they go. This stuff really works and I drove the truck to work this morning.

I have a big trip coming up, but wanted to know if this is signs of my EFI relay going out? The terminals looked fine with no corrosion.

image-595775719.jpg

image-24017126.jpg

Last edited:
I had a spell where my LC would crank but not fire on occasion, but start right up an hour or so later. Then the symptoms just went away on their own without my ever pinpointing what the problem was. That relieved me at first but has me worried ever since that it'll come back at any moment's notice. I'm wondering if your solution might work if my truck ever acted up again.

I'm leaving the can in my truck and am deciding back and forth about buying a spare EFI relay.

I would imagine that if by spraying the electronics cleaner on there resolved the issue, I have a problem with my contacts in the fusebox or on the relay itself.

This problem popped up again.

I need all the help I can get as I have a trip that I am leaving for tomorrow. I sprayed the contacts again and it was a no go. has anybody had issues with having to replace the fuse box? this is just ridiculous. it drove fine for the whole week and then decides to act up today.

Do you have a Check Engine Light (CEL)? Try unplugging and re-plugging your MAF (mass airflow sensor) to the right of your air box.
I had this non start issue happen last week. After trying to start it a bunch of times so I would get a CEL, I got a P0100 - I did test the MAF either an ohm meter per factory service manual and it was bad.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Did you test for fuel or spark? I have neither

I would clean the throttle body and MAF and add some fresh premium fuel to the tank.

the symptoms you describe sound like what happens when you get bad gas or water in the fuel.

Not sure what tests you are using for "fuel or spark," but if you really have neither than maybe it is the EFI electronics.

But first I would try cleaning the throttle body and MAF and adding fresh gas- this is cheap and easy and it just might work.

The other things to check would be the air intake and exhaust; i have seen engines act that way when the air filter and/or exhaust are obstructed.

hope this helps

I finally figured out the issue hours before I was scheduled to leave for my trip. It turned out to be a chafed wire from the crankshaft position sensor after the previous owner did the 90k service. It was routed totally wrong and caused the CPS to receive the wrong signal causing no fuel or spark.

I spliced it all back together and the truck was good for the weekend. Hopefully no more electrical gremlins pop up!

image-1731760088.jpg

sorry for taking you down the wrong path here.

i was about to suggest that it could be an intermittent connection to the crankshaft position sensor, but I figured that would give you a check engine light and a code ;)

glad you got it figured out.

again, i apologize for suggesting that this could be fixed with a fresh tank of gas and a can of MAF cleaner-

happy trails

no worries. the last po took out the dang cel so I had no indication of a cel.

I had the same issue, just used the cleaner you suggested and now it's starting. I will still likely replace the EFI relay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom